This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What not to do with a concrete block

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E
Circle of Safety: Y

What not to do with a concrete block

Postby Landreo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:20 pm

While working on this side:

This happened on the other side:

Won't do that again!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: What not to do with a concrete block

Postby BigBill » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:25 pm

First i'm glad your ok. We had the cinder block experience many years ago too.

I've seen those old metal milk crates give out too. We seen those bumper jacks just give out and come flying down too just as my older brother said they ain't safe. We can't trust anything but solid material. (steel/wood)

The big timbers are great for blocking stands too. I have some 8"x 10" oak to use time to time.

BTW; Nice looking project. I been eyeing the old cletrac's lately.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:13 pm

OUCH! :o :o Also glad on one was hurt!

That is a lot of weight, even if you had put a larger block on top to better distribute the weight. I see people using cement blocks all the time turned with the "holes" horizontal, a bigger accident waiting to happen! As noted, solid cribbing is the best way to go.
Keep safe, good luck,
David

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:23 am

I never trust cinder blocks!!To much air in them.They turn into cinders.glad no one was hurt!!! Kevin :shock: :shock:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Gary Boutwell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70401
Tractors Owned: 3 barns full of Cubs and implements in various stages of disrepair

Postby Gary Boutwell » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:38 am

WOW! Good news that no one was hurt!

Actually "cinder blocks" have great compression strength.
That block would have held the load except: (this is not criticism, just trying to help others stay safe.)

1. the blocks must have a solid and flat spot for the bottom. Any deformities in the foundation will add forces at the spot of the deformity. This decreases the blocks ability to absorb compression.

2. The material on top of the blocks is inadequate. It should have been wide enough to cover the entire top surface of the block, spreading the weight and downward compression over all the bearing walls of the block. From the photo, it appears the weight was concentrated only on the interior wall.

Using heavy wood cribbing would be a much better choice for this job.

Anyhow, thanks for the post. It is a good learning experience for all of us.
Louisiana Cub Fest, March 5 & 6, 2010
http://ihc31.com/cubfest
Gary Boutwell
Hammond, LA

3 barns full of Cubs of various condition

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:27 am

1. the blocks must have a solid and flat spot for the bottom. Any deformities in the foundation will add forces at the spot of the deformity. This decreases the blocks ability to absorb compression.

2. The material on top of the blocks is inadequate. It should have been wide enough to cover the entire top surface of the block, spreading the weight and downward compression over all the bearing walls of the block. From the photo, it appears the weight was concentrated only on the interior wall.

Using heavy wood cribbing would be a much better choice for this job.

I violated all three! The blocks sat on the steel tracks, small top wood blocks, and I had some 8X8 wood blocks but was in a hurry and I did not feel like finding the blocks. The concrete blocks were handy. I know better but took a shortcut.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:08 am

just another note the reason to use heavy timber cribbing is the timber will crush before it fails.
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Uncle Buck
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66604

Postby Uncle Buck » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:29 pm

Here is a common sense thought about supporting whatever it is you are going to work on, be it farm tractor, truck , car, or whatever. If you cannot afford to either purchase the proper jack stands, or in the absence of that, construct substantial jack stands from steel of good design, then you really have no business attempting to repair, replace, or restore whatever you were going after. I understand not everyone is set well for tools, but if this is going to be your pass time, you need to invest the money for the tools and equipment to do the job safely, if you cannot do that, then you might have picked a hobby that will maim or kill you in the end! :shock:

Return to “Safety Forum”