This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Front and rear crank seals

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Maritimer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Front and rear crank seals

Postby Maritimer » Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:32 pm

Merry Christmas to everyone! Hope santa found you all!! I have a question about the front and rear crank seals. Does anyone have a part # for them? Instead of me going to the dealer and paying 50 dollars for them , I can go to coastal bearing and pick them up for less than twenty.
The old part # for the front is 49 177d ??. For the Rear it is 251 378 R92. I also need the pto seal. The old # is 351 271 R91. I don't imagine that these #'s are still good. They can cross reference them to another brand. I haven't got them out yet, but would like to get them ordered first.

Mike
My dad once told me if it wasn't for bad luck......I wouldn't have any luck at all......

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:44 pm

You'll find a cross reference for all of them in the FAQs:

http://www.antique-tractor.com/CubFAQ/cub_faq.html#q7
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

spaceghost
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02346
Tractors Owned: 1959 Cub lo-boy
1950 super A

Postby spaceghost » Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:35 pm

I got the PTO seal from trusty tractor http://www.trustytractor.com/
for around $20.00. I told them what I need and I got the part in the mail in about 4 days.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:24 pm

Get the front seal from your Case/Ih delaer. It will cost aobut $24 and will come with a redi-sleeve in case there is a groove worn in your pulley.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:29 pm

I think the front seal from the dealer includes a speedy sleeve. And gives a smooth place for the seal to run on. They can be bought from other places. But you most likely will run into problems getting the right one and then having to order it. Dealer is the best bet on the front seal if I'm right about the sleeve being included.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Maritimer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Maritimer » Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:41 am

Thanks guy's. I'll check into the front seal from the dealer. The redi sleeve, did you guy's ever use one? Would the rear and pto seal be ok if I got it from Coastal Bearing?
My dad once told me if it wasn't for bad luck......I wouldn't have any luck at all......

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:17 am

I use the wear sleeve/seal combo from Case/IH everytime I build a motor. Before installation, heat the sleeve and freeze the pulley, otherwise you may damage the wear sleeve trying to drive it into place.

As far as the rear engine seal goes, I use the one that comes in the engine overhaul gasket/seal kit I buy from Napa.

I have used PTO seals from Case/IH dealers and Napa. Both work equally well.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

mike mix
10+ Years
10+ Years

front & rear seals "caution"

Postby mike mix » Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:56 pm

Be careful on the rear seal. The retainer that holds the rear seal in place was updated sometime during production and the retainer id a couple of thousandth to big for the new seal. If the new seal presses in to easy I will tell you you will have a leaking problem. Two ways to fix the problem #1 buy a new retainer about $130, #2 You can try to glue the new seal in the old retainer. I've never tried this but have been told that it works. It's no fun having to split the cub again because of a oil leak. Good Luck Mike

Maritimer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Maritimer » Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:36 pm

Mike,
The newer cubs, Do they have this problem also? I mean the 54's and up?

mike mix
10+ Years
10+ Years

front & rear seals

Postby mike mix » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:34 pm

Mike
My only experience is with a 1953 cub with a oil leak after the engine was gone through. I still remember thinking to myself that the rear seal pushed into the seal retainer to easy. And sure enough it leaked right away. I'm sure someone on this site might know when the change was made.
Or you can do a search on oil seals and find the information on this site. Also I found some information in Red Power magazine about a year ago. If I remember correctly it was the issue that focused on the Cub.
Let me know if you need any help. Mike
I found the information in the nov/dec 2003 issue of red power mag. page#20 & 21 but no serial numbers were given. Mike

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:53 pm

I used 3M weatherstip adhesive on Missy, and it has held for several hours of mowing. On the 49 I used loctite, and then used a center punch to stake it in. That held for aobut 10 years, but now there is a leak there, which may get fixed someday.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Maritimer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Maritimer » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:56 pm

i wonder if there is a slightly larger dia seal available from an after market dealer. I ordered a new sleeve from the dealer. I wonder if it is possible to maybe get a slightly larger sleeve? There has got to be another way to overcome this insted of buying a new retainer for 135.00.
I won't feel like splitting it and replacing the seal AGAIN.
Mike

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: front & rear seals

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:13 pm

mike mix wrote:Mike
My only experience is with a 1953 cub with a oil leak after the engine was gone through. I still remember thinking to myself that the rear seal pushed into the seal retainer to easy. And sure enough it leaked right away. I'm sure someone on this site might know when the change was made.
Or you can do a search on oil seals and find the information on this site. Also I found some information in Red Power magazine about a year ago. If I remember correctly it was the issue that focused on the Cub.
Let me know if you need any help. Mike
I found the information in the nov/dec 2003 issue of red power mag. page#20 & 21 but no serial numbers were given. Mike

The Parts Catalog doesn't say when the seal and retainer changed. Based on the seal part number, I would make a wild guess sbout 1955. The important thing to remember is that either retainer fits any engine. You need to check what retainer you actually have, regardless of the tractor age.

Return to “Farmall Cub”