This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Please Help with Carb!!!

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dk47
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31773

Please Help with Carb!!!

Postby dk47 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:41 pm

I have a 1963(I think) cub 154 lowboy that I was having carb trouble with. It was very hard to crank and would run only with the choke about half out. I took the carb off, took apart, soaked overnite and blew out and reassembled with new gaskets. The dang thing will not crank at all. If you choke it, it pours gas out and seeps out around the choke shaft. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Please Help with Carb!!!

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:53 pm

Welcome to the Forum. If the carb is completely clean, check the screen in the inlet line and the screen at the fuel bowl. If all is good and still having issues, check for leaks on the carb letting it suck air. Make sure the breather tubes are installed and tight and spray aerosol ether or unlit propane bottle around the carb, if a leak is present, the engine will suck up some of the ether or propane and cause the RPM's to increase. Could be the top to bottom gasket, the manifold gasket or the shaft seals.
Good luck and let us know the results. Also, your tractor is not a '63. IH didn't start building the 154s until '68. Let us know the SN and we'll tell you the year.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:48 pm

Curious. What do you mean "engine will not crank"? Starter/generator will not turn the engine over?

If you mean it won't start - have you investigate an ignition problem? When was the last 100% engine tune up?
I have an excuse. CRS.

dk47
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31773

Postby dk47 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:01 pm

Thanks, when I say it won't crank I mean it won't run, thats southGeorgia slang. Its getting fire at the plugs. It was seeping fuel at the carb to intake gasket but I got that stopped. I'll have to take it off and check the top to bottom mating without the gasket. How tight does the throttle shaft supposed to be? This one has a good bit of play. Also, the serial number is almost impossible to read, is there any other way to determine year Model? Thanks Again

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:04 pm

dk47 wrote:...is there any other way to determine year Model?

Posting a photo may help.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:08 pm

The throttle shaft should not flop around when the carb is moved. It should be relatively stiff, but not binding. The seals hold the shaft pretty tight.

If you let us know the engine SN, or a sampling of the cast codes, we can give you the year of manufacture. Engine SN location: http://www.tmtractor.com/id/id_003.htm
Here are the cast code locations: http://www.tmtractor.com/id/castdate_loc.htm
Of course yours won't have all the parts in the photos, but the engine, transmission and finals are the same.

tklunder
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby tklunder » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:27 am

Sounds light the float in your carb is sticking. If you are getting fuel , you can rule out that something plugged up. I had the same problem with my carb. It would always leak when it was parked. It would run very rich and was tricky to start. After taking it apart about a dozen times, I finally found the problem with help of a friend.
When you have the carb off, and still assembled, gently shake the carb straight up and down. You should be able to hear the float go up and down. If you can hear it, now gently turn the carb upside down and back again. Can you hear the float? When I did this on mine, if you listened very carefully, you could hear the needle hit its seat but not the float. I took it apart again and found the two post that hold the float were too tight. I gound a very small amount off of the brass float at the piot point and put it back together and it has been working great ever since. This is my two cents worth. Ted

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”