This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

paint and fittings

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CPenn
10+ Years
10+ Years

paint and fittings

Postby CPenn » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:49 am

Two quick questions:

Can I use the same type of paint on the the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe as what I use on the rest of the tractor, or is a special high temperature paint required?

Second, what type of fittings are used on the fuel line (carb and sediment bowl)? In replacing the fuel line, I cannot find the proper fitting at Lowes in the plumbing section. Not sure where to look. The folks at NAPA did not recognize it.

Thanks,
Chad

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:19 am

You can use the same paint but it will burn and flake as will be obvious if you look at just about any restored or repainted tractor. You have a couple of options. You can use either high temperature paint or consider powder coating your manifold. I have seen several manifold painted with high temperature paint. Some of them hold up, some of them don't. I imagine that preparation has a lot to do with that. Some on the forum have powder coated their manifolds, perhaps they will tell us how they are holding up.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:24 am

Hi Chad

I believe the fittings needed on those are the fittings that come on a piece of 5/16 steel brake line from NAPA. I forget the thread size it is but someone else can jump in with more info. I am not sure on the paint questionn. Paul K. in NH

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:24 am

The carb gas line fitting thread size is "1/2 - 20". It is NOT a 1/4" NPT size. A lot of folks get this mixed up and ruin the carb threads.

I haven't painted mine but I think I would be more comfortable with a high temp paint. Those two items can get pretty hot. I think some here have just painted the whole tractor with the same paint...... Will have to wait for their experienced replies to be sure how well it lasted.
Ron

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:42 am

As BD said, the high temperature paints do pretty good if the preperation is done right, also a lot of how well they hold up depends on how hard the tractor actually works.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Harold R » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:55 am

I applied several coats of a paint made for BBQ pitts. It's certainly high temp, I used it all and have forgotten the brand name. It was available at the hardware store. After approx. 100 hrs. of running, it still looked good. :D :D

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:02 am

For My manifold I used a spray-can of (Dupli-Color) brand High-Heat silver which has ceramic in it. It states on the can that it will withstand 1200° heat. I put 3 coats on and then baked it for an hour @ 400°s. Cant tell you the results yet as I haven`t started up the Cub since but I have read a lot of good results from those that have used it on exhaust headers.
Then came Bronson

CPenn
10+ Years
10+ Years

thanks

Postby CPenn » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:07 pm

ya'll are great. Thanks again.
Chad

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:37 pm

IH just painted them along with the carb, starter and rest of the tractor.
RED, RED and RED.

Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:21 pm

Longest lasting finish to use on the manifold and exhaust is rust.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”