This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Discussion on deer food plots

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859
Circle of Safety: Y

Discussion on deer food plots

Postby Trent M » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:08 pm

I can remember the very day when I first had the thought, "owning a Cub might be a good idea." A friend plowed up a total of about an acre with his JD M and I bought a little, pull-behind-the-atv disk (what a joke) so I could plant some clover for the deer on my property. I do now garden and mow and many other things with Cubs, but when I think about it, it was the deer food plots that really brought my attention to the fact that I NEEDED a tractor (or 2 ... or ?) I figure that there are others out there who use their Cubs for the same purpose ... planting food plots. I think those planting food plots on a relatively small-scale would be silly not to use a Cub, just my opinion. I am midly surprised that there's not more discussion about planting food plots.

Over the past few years, I have planted some clover plots because they'll last a while. I'm thinking about oats for hunting season attraction. I live in Illinois where it is illegal to attract deer with any method other that food plots. No feeders, no salt blocks, etc.

So ... what do you plant and for what purpose? Annuals vs perennials? Nutrition vs attraction? Time of year to plant? And anything else you'd like to discuss. :)
Trent McPeak

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

JGtools
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55325
Tractors Owned: 1958 ih 340 utility
1950 farmall cub
1948 ford 8n
kubota 3240
IH 154 loboy

Re: Discussion on deer food plots

Postby JGtools » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:33 pm

Trent, Good Topic! I will be going to a local deer classic this weekend, and I will try gather as much info as I can on food plots. I will post back with what I find out. I too, Love my cub tractor for working food plots/garden work. Ill keep in touch, Jim

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:22 pm

My gardens have turned into food plots. I guess they grow protein now. when the beans die in the fall, I'll plant rye.
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:30 pm

I'm midly surprised that there isn't more discussion on this topic. To my mind, Cubs and food plots are a match made in heaven.

Here is a fine article written by our member Lyle7289 on this subject.

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33981
Trent McPeak

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:33 pm

Virginia Mike wrote:My gardens have turned into food plots. I guess they grow protein now. when the beans die in the fall, I'll plant rye.

Is the rye for attracting deer in the fall? I've heard its popular.
Trent McPeak

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:35 pm

JGtools wrote:Trent, Good Topic! I will be going to a local deer classic this weekend, and I will try gather as much info as I can on food plots. I will post back with what I find out. I too, Love my cub tractor for working food plots/garden work. Ill keep in touch, Jim

I look forward to the info! Do you currently have food plots? If so, what do you plant?
Trent McPeak

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:32 am

Trent M wrote:Is the rye for attracting deer in the fall? I've heard its popular.

Winter rye is a great deer attractant. It can be planted after the garden for a cover crop to control soil erosion, and be turned under in the spring for a soil building "Green Manure" crop. Plus, it is cheap.
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:15 am

I disk up and seeded about 3/4 acre of white (dutch) clover for a deer food plot. The food plot is electric fenced to keep out the cattle. Neighbor and I was going to square bale the first cutting then let it grow for deer season.

Several neighbors plant milo. One neighbor plants 4 or 5 acres in milo for a deer food plot. Last year they shot 5 or 6 deer feeding in the milo. After deer season they turn in cattle.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:55 am

The other night, I saw 1 deer on the property from the road. I have seen as many as 7 in the 3/4-acre clover plot at one time. There are soybean and corn fields scattered around the woods in my area. Its hard to compete with the beans this time of year and they'll be in the corn later in the year. I'm looking for something that will attract the deer during the hunting season. I might plant a variety of different things ... a smorgasboard.

Fall planting time is fast approaching and hunting season will be here before we know it. 8)
Trent McPeak

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:21 am

Trent, have used white clover, alfalfa, wheat, rye, chicory. The very best I've tried is winter oats, deer will leave everything else to graze on winter oats because oats are more tender than wheat or rye. You should have no problem down there with winter kill.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:17 am

Thanks Red! I have been leaning toward oats. No one around here plants it. That should make my plot very popular with the deer, however, I'll have to order the seed as I doubt I can find it local.
Trent McPeak

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:39 pm

Buck forage oats is the well advertised brand but you will pay 2to 4 times the price of a varietal such as Harrison. Surely some of our southern cubbers could locate some for you! I bought mine at a gunshop in Peoria, Il.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:08 am

Its time to start thinking about getting a new plot ready. Planting time is sneaking up on me! I've decided to go with oats, just need to find some. :roll:
Trent McPeak

midmo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65018
Tractors Owned: 1947 cub #11248
1948 #39811 trimmed dash
1950 VAC Case

Postby midmo » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:08 am

At the edge try a patch of turnips. Our hardware store sells in the bulk and three bucks will do about a thirty by sixty foot area. They take the frost well too. Small seeds so I drill holes in a lid just big enough for the seeds and shake them out.
Ron in Mid Missouri

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:45 pm

Ron- Good idea. :idea: I think I'll do that. When I was a kid we always mixed the tiny seeds with some dirt and just tossed it around.
Trent McPeak

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”