This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

gas tank

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dirtyred
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31648
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub (tinkerbell) 1949 allis chalmers(ole bess) 1949-50 ?john deere model a

gas tank

Postby dirtyred » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:06 pm

Im puttin a new cutoff on my gas tank. is better to use teflon on the threads or can i use pipe dope like plumbers use? or what do i need to use?thanks
He that tilleth his land shall be satisfied with bread: Proverbs 12:11

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: gas tank

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:21 pm

Teflon tape is ok as long as it is on the threads only and there isn't any excess that can contaminate the fuel. Don't ask how I know that :roll: :( From reading different posts on the pro's and con's of tape versus pipe dope, I am leaning toward the pipe dope as the better choice. I recently saw that my local NAPA dealer actualy had it as well as my neighbourhood Fairview Fittings dealer.

I guess it is a matter of preference. Are you going to use a ball valve for a shut-off/petcock or that little L-shaped thingy :?: I have moved on to the ball valve and really prefer them. No seats to rebuild and no little L-shaped thingy's to drive me nuts from the neuropathy :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

dirtyred
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub (tinkerbell) 1949 allis chalmers(ole bess) 1949-50 ?john deere model a

Postby dirtyred » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:30 pm

I got a whole new shebang- ball valve,filter,sediment bowl. I got pipe dope aint got teflon so i reckon i lluse pipe dope thanks mr rudi

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:35 pm

You can get your fuel type teflon tape at Tractor Supply for a couple dollars, go that route and save yourself some trouble down the line later... :wink:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

dirtyred
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dirtyred » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:44 pm

the old one had teflon on it but it had what looked like shredded pieces of teflon? in the tank. I figured the gas would break down the teflon. But will the pipe dope hold up over time? what will pipe dope do if it gets in the tank? (Im clumsy ! I get oil, pipe dope pvc glue etc all over me! hence the dirty in dirtyred! :oops: )

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:49 pm

The fuel type teflon tape is made for this kind of area and it will give you better service. Gas will melt the regular type and then you'll have carb problems.
The pipe dope will stop up everything.
Just my .02 worth. :wink:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

redfin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 70737

Postby redfin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:53 pm

I use either /or and they both work fine. :? Rudi makes a good point on keeping it out of the gas tank and Yogie makes a good point on taking it apart after using pipe dope. I usually use the pipe dope because I cant find the teflon tape most of the time as it is used by my fasmily and the neioghbors. Go figure that one.. :?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:05 pm

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:29 pm

The one thing I forgot to mention :oops: and I am not sure if this is really important or not seeing as the Teflon tape nor the pipe dope is actually supposed to come in contact with the fuel...

The pipe dope that I saw at NAPA and Fairview was for gas lines.. as in LNG or Propane. PFTE or the yellow Teflon tape is also for LNG or Propane lines.

I don't see any thing really called out for gasoline, so I am assuming and Lord I hope I am not making a donkey of myself on this.. that because the fuel doesn't come in contact with the tape/dope it doesn't really matter? I am not sure.. but so far I have not had any issues when the tape is applied properly ie - 1 thread back from the end of the fitting.

I keep researching this though from time to time. I tried this as a search string Teflon Tape or Dope for Gasoline Lines and didn't get a lot of hits that I can see for the fuel line side of the question. However, I like Taunton Press for my Fine Woodworking and the Fine Homebuilding series.. so here is some stuff I found on the Taunton websites..

Taunton's Fine Homebuilding wrote:Teflon tape for residential plumbing is color coded. High-density pink tape is used on water lines; yellow tape is designed for gas-line use. White tape (often low density) is used on water lines.

Tauntons's Fine Homebuilding wrote:Tape is less messy, but there's a caveat: If wrapped wrong (in a counterclockwise direction), the tape can ball up as components are tightened, ruining the seal.

Taunton's Fine Homebuilding wrote:Dope stays gooey. Pipe dope never hardens, so it will never become brittle and flake out of a joint.

From what I can gather reading a lot of this stuff on various forums including a Mitsubishi forumis that as long as it doesn't come in contact with the gasoline it should be ok. Teflon tape and dope was designed originally for NPT type fittings (which are most of what I use, so that works..) and should work on the NC and NF threads as well.

Boy this can get involved :? :roll: :)

Apparently the white crud I found in the bottom of my carb a while back was caused by the reaction of the benzene and cycloalkenes. But that is only if the tape is in contact with the gas when applied incorrectly as I had done once. You can see the white gooey residue in the bowl.

Now that I understand the ramifications I use the 1 thread back method and I haven't had any leaks or any build up in the carb.

The other product that I found at NAPA is by Permatex.. but I haven't tried it yet.

This is called out for fuel line fittings, so maybe this is what I will probably go to for pipe dope :idea:

Oh, I see Don just posted a link to the Permatex site as I was refreshing this to post. :oops:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:41 am

:thumbsup:
Ben Franklin

cubguy's dad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49265
Tractors Owned: 1938 John Deere A
(owned 38 years)
1953 Cub
(owned 21 Years)
1963 Olds Cutlass
1970 Ford F-350
(Cub Hauler)

Postby cubguy's dad » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:07 am

I like and use the Permatex Product that Don recommends in his post.

This product is a one fits all type of product, as it is reccomended for pipe taper and stainless fittings as well as Cylinder head bolts that go into coolant passages.

As Rudi illustrated in his post, the use of any of these products properly and sparingly will save you from creating additional problems down the road.

Mark
Experiance is knowing what NOT to do the next time.......
1937 John Deere A (Big John)
1953 Farmall Cub (LiL Red)
Lots of projects.

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:26 am

i would think you'd want to go with don on this one period.. it's what it's made for so why fool and fumble with something that can cause headaches down the line. my .02 :wink: :)):
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

Return to “Farmall Cub”