This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IH Cub Restoration- correct paint colors

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gerrrarrrd
10+ Years
10+ Years

IH Cub Restoration- correct paint colors

Postby gerrrarrrd » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:26 pm

I am preparing to re-paint my '72 Internation Cub. I have purchased factory paint in the correct yellow and white. I have some question as to what areas were originally designated to each color??? I have seen several photos and none seem to match.

Also, I am attempting to research what type of head and tail lights might have come on my tractor. some previous owner had cut the lead wires that go to the front & rear of the tractor. I have not seen many photos of IH CUBS with any typw of lights.

Any & all help is appreciated! :)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:34 pm

gerrrarrrd:

Can't help with the paint but Ralph sure can!

As for the lights and stuff - all those part numbers can be found in the TC-37F which is on the Cub Manual Server.

Also, once you have the part numbers for the head lights, Tom at TM Tractor Parts or John at JP Tractor Salvage should be able to help you out. Yours will probably be 12v if it is a late version. As for the rear worklight, there are 3 versions. I am thinking any of the three would be acceptable as it was an option usually. Also, some have just used a headlight instead of the red/white work/tail light combination.

Hope this helps.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

gerrrarrrd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Thanks....

Postby gerrrarrrd » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:23 pm

Sorry....but I don't know who Ralph is ?????????

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:33 am

Gerrrarrrd - here is a link to Ralph's website. Lots of nice pictures.

http://www.geocities.com/ralphna2@prodigy.net/RALPHs_TRACTORS_and_JUNK.html
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:11 am

gerrrarrrd, you don't get out much do you? There are plenty of pictures of Cubs on the 'net.

Get the Ken Updike book on the Farmall Cub; it has pictures of the late square-hood style cub. They were essentially unchanged from '64-'79, except for the side decals and the '79s were mostly painted red. I have a source for the side decals in my bookmarks at home.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:49 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:gerrrarrrd, you don't get out much do you? There are plenty of pictures of Cubs on the 'net.

Matt,

There are also a lot of pictures of Ford 9/2 Ns on the net... many of which are very wrong. Many pictures of Cubs, including mine, reflect the owner's preferences rather than originality. Gerrarrrd asked a fair question.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:46 pm

I have never looked into the question of what was yellow and what was white on the later Cubs. I suspect that the answer changed over time and may not have even been the same between the the standard and Lo-Boy a some points in time.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:40 pm

I can throw in my 2 cents. But I still have questions myself.
Essentially the hood, ALL lights (and brackets), air breather cap, front wheels, rear wheel centers are white.
Federal Yellow is nearly everything else.
I am unsure about the fan assembly (black, judging by what I have seen behind the blade.) I'm going with a black generator, regulator, coil.

Anybody know about the fan color??
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:49 pm

Oh yeah... I have some photos of the rear light wires. Send me a message if you want copies.

I have a new harness that I found at a dealer in ME (last one).

It is petty straightforward, even if there is a flasher on the fender.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:56 pm

Like I said, I don't have the answers on what was witch. However, it is a pretty safe bet that the only white parts were those that could be easily bolted on after the main unit went through the paint booth. The main items I would question are things like the grille (outer part), grille extensions and headlights.

I would have expected the fan assembly and all the electrical parts to be yellow.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:28 am

Good catch... the grill (expanded metal) is also white. I have it all neatly piled up near the door of my garage so I can have everything white professionally painted.

I am going to have the new gas cap painted white too.... the old one was not painted. The free replacement was primed black.

Return to “Farmall Cub”