This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

popcorn

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

popcorn

Postby TJG » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:48 pm

What do you recommend for harvest of popcorn...let it dry on the stock as long as possible? Shell it and dry it some other method? And would you store it frozen or how?
Todd

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: popcorn

Postby SONNY » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:17 am

Harvest by hand,--but first let dry on the stalk as long as practical,--popcorn is about a 100--110 day crop. you could then peel back the shucks and tie bundles of ears up and hang them in a dry rodent free area and dry it some more, then shell it.--moisture should be down to 14 to 15.5 per cent for best popping. we used to just store it in large cans with lids,---but some folks do freeze it for a couple of weeks just to kill bugs in it then take it out and store in dry place. I have found that after it gets in popping condition, the fridge. will keep it good for a couple years if it takes that long to use it! thanks; sonny

dakcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93313

Re: popcorn

Postby dakcub » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:08 am

my friends were over last week and we were discussing what would happen if a popcorn field caught on fire what would happen....
Robert (I carry butter in my truck just in case) Miller

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”