This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Growing Sweet Potatoes

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Growing Sweet Potatoes

Postby BigBill » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:56 pm

I ordered sweet potato plants lastyear in the spring and they arrived late so i planted them, lastyear in the fall they had small bulbs on them when we pulled them up. We got no potatoes. We replanted them again after i tilled them up and they were regrowing all over my garden. This time even with three loads of manure i still have the same small bulbs at the bottom when we dig them up. Whats wrong????????? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Really dumb question;

We plant the red potatoes and the brown potatoes every year by cutting them in pieces and plant them and hill them. We have great success in doing regular potatoes. Do we need to buy sweet potatoes and cut and plant them too?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Growing Sweet Potatoes

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:29 pm

Don't really know about sweet potatoes. But here in central Missouri - it was an unseasonably cool summer. 10th coldest on record. Garden crops requiring a lot of heat did nothing or very poorly.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Postby Joe Malinowski » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:58 am

I don't know why Bill but I don't think our New England climate is right for growing them. I am sure someone else will give you more info.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:34 am

Bill, check with your county extension office, they will have info to help, and may send someone out to check your soil.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:46 pm

Bill, My neighbor mulches them with black plastic, to heat the soil. He has good success. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:18 pm

We do great on Staten Island with Sweets. To get starter plants suspend one with tooth plants in water. Sprouts will start and eventually you can plant the sprouts. Some of our southern friends leave some in the ground from this year to set new plants for next year. Do a search on sweet potatoes. We had quite a session on them last spring.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:25 pm

Bill,

Here is some information from New Hampshire http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000843_Rep881.pdf

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:50 am

We plant and harvest about 2 acres of sweet taters every year. You can make you a bed by placing the whole potatoe in a boxed area and covering with a mix of potting soil and dirt. lay them close almost touching. We have ours on a wagon and can move it from sun to shade. We cover it with old windows to make it warmer so they will sprout. We get all the plants we need from a bushel of taters.
Boss hog
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:31 pm

The problem I found with ordering plants , is that they wont send them out early enough so they have time to make a crop,---most sweets are 100 to 110 day crop, so they require a long HOT season to do well, also dry season helps too,--at least here in Il., thats what I found.
if you start your own plants, you can force them with heat to get them to start sprouting early,---then plant in the ground early and cover them with a tile, cone, hotcap, etc.
If you use plastic, be sure to take it up when good hot weather comes, as it will make the ground underneath really nasty and the plants will get stunted for the lack of air and the ground will stay too wet for them. thanks; sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”