This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Diesel fuel filters

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
vtwarthog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: -----------------------
63 IH cub lo-boy,
74 IH 154 w/3pt & creeper
72 IH 454 diesel w/loader

Diesel fuel filters

Postby vtwarthog » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:14 am

I have an IH 454 with a 3cyl diesel. I've never owned a diesel before and would like to change the 2 fuel filters. They are screw on canister types. My question is how do I get the air out of the system once I screw the new ones on? Or do I even have to remove the air from the filters?
Paul Allard

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Re: Diesel fuel filters

Postby cowboy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:24 am

Howdy VT

I do not know the 454. But every diesel I have you put the filter in the canister and fill it as full as possible with fuel before putting it on. On most tractors there is a mechanical fuel pump that will have a arm or lever on it. And typically you would crack a line and pump the arm on the fuel pump until you get all the air out of it. On Cat diesels their is a plunger pump to pump it with.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:28 am

One more thing. On Cat dozers the tank is mounted high like a tractor and you have to shut off a valve near the tank or fuel will pour out of it while you are changing the filter. You may have to do the same on that tractor.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

vtwarthog
10+ Years
10+ Years
63 IH cub lo-boy,

Postby vtwarthog » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks Cowboy, guess I better get a maintenance/owners manual before I start this process. I've been avoiding diesels to long, time to learn a little about them. I just love the added power, especially when digging rocks out of the driveway or lawn. I'm going to leave it inside and plugged in the evenings prior to snowfall. The main reason I got it was to plow snow.
Paul Allard

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:12 pm

go to the top of the page to manuals you may find yours or another International like yours.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:29 pm

Paul:

UInfortunately I do not have an IH 454 Owner's/Service/Parts manual available. The closest I have is the B-275 which is a diesel as well. I doubt if it is similar to the 454 though..... although the basics may be of help. The whole set is there.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:28 pm

Not pos about 454, but all my IH diesels have bleeder screws on top of the filter castings!----IH diesels are a bear to get going once the system has been opened, so prepare yourself for some royal cussing while you are working on them!
Moose usually takes me 2 sets of filters before I can get him started after filter change, or run out of fuel! thanks; sonny

vtwarthog
10+ Years
10+ Years
63 IH cub lo-boy,

Postby vtwarthog » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:13 pm

Thanks guys, I have found the bleeder screws. I have a manual but I guess I was just getting lazy about reading it. I most cases people who write manuals assume too much to the first time reader. I have sever electronics manuals that neglect to tell you how to turn the damn thing on. My manual states that the main cause of dirt in the fuel system in caused by owners changing fuel filters. I was also attempting to top off the hydraulic/transmission fluid. Lots of info there about capacities and types but not a clue where the filler plug is located. :mrgreen:
The problem is probably because this is an original owners manual from IH.
Paul Allard

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:50 pm

Clean around the filter areas really good,---Air hose and good blow gun will get most dirt and dust off, then look at the gasket surfaces, and wipe them carefully !

the parts look-up on Messicks IH parts might show where the filler plugs and full level plugs are!
They have exploaded views on there, and IE works best to navigate there site!---I have FF, and it dont do well over there! thanks; sonny

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby DanR » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:40 am

I put a second filter on my Perkins diesel. Plumbed it so I could switch between the filters with two three way brass valves. Never had to worry about air in the system and could switch filters with the engine running.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”