This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Season long garden log for 2009!(w/pics & videos)!

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
flyawa
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66701
Tractors Owned: .
1 1948 Cub
2 1950 Cubs
1 1951 Cub
1 1952 Cubs
1942 Farmall H
1939 Ford 9N
1930 John Deere D
1941 John Deere B
1948 Allis Chalmers C
1956 Farmall 400
1945 Chrysler Airport Tug
Location: KS, Fort Scott (S.E. Kansas - Home of the people of the south wind; the Kansa)

Re: Season long garden log for 2009!(w/pics & videos)!

Postby flyawa » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:52 pm

Billy Fussell wrote:Flyawa,

Would you mind sharing the recipe for pickled okra? We have tried and have not got it down right to my liking.

Billy

Glad to do it.

Check it out and enjoy

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=45168
"Maintain thine airspeed lest the Earth rise up and smite thee"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:39 am

Thanks for the recipe. My wife will try it. I love pickled okra. And fried okra and boiled okra.

Billy

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:09 am

Greenbean sample of the "snakes" that we had!

Had a good harvest of them after they re-grew from the damage.---also have good amount of saved seed for next year. (These are Contender)
After the pressure cooker
The Fava beans that went into the freezer,--plus the saved seed picking for next year

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:33 am

At this point, we have spuds, onions,carrots, beans,(except for the soys,--workin on them now, green and black kinds), cabbage, eggplant, etc. all taken care of and headin for the SQUASH garden!---lol!
Jumbo pink banana
Boston Marrow
Shi Shigatani bottle gourd/squash
True buttercup
green stripe cushaw
Jarhadale
nother Jarhadale
King of Mammouth

This is one batch of pics taken yesterday, ( 9-10)

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:56 am

More kinds!!
Mystery squash,---no-one knows what kind these are!
Queensland Blue
nother Blue,--This one has more of the mature color to it
Red Warty Thing
Small Sugar Pie pumpkins
An Ugly Alien Creature!
Green Stripe Cuahaw that forgot to grow a seed bowl!( we named him "the neck dude")

The squash garden is 1/2 acre and the vines are going in all directions,--including, but not limited to the neighbors corn field!
The Kings have vines going 35 feet in all directions from the base, making for 70 foot runs tip to tip.
Frank over on Antique Farming. net sent me some seed and this is some of the strange kinds that came from them!---I had banana and jarhadale seed saved from last year!
Fred from over there sent us some of his seed for the red beans that we grew this year too!---These beans were from saved seed since 1840's and started oun in the midwest! ---they have been planted ever since by his family and now this year returned back to the midwest to be grown by us!---He has only 4 families left that grow them in WA. right now so maybe we can help carry on his family tradition a few more years!---The bean variety is not known, so we call them FRED BEANS!
Sorry for the long posts, dudes, but just thought you might find something of interest in them! lol!---enjoy! thanks; sonny

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:56 pm

Sonny my squash does that too!!! Straight neck and crooked.I think they cross pollinate with zuccini.Taste good,I eat them and people buy them.My garden is on its last legs.Peppers and enjoying the cool weather.I never did a fall crop of peas,to many in the freezer.I made out real well selling at the farmers market.I"m in the red making a good[but not great] profit this year.I have lots of green beans and peas froze.Next year I'm hoping my corn does better.3rd year garden is when they start producing good.I'm very happy the way the garden is progressing. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I hope to get some winter wheat in to boost the soil.It is bad soil needs a big boost!!! Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

flyawa
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66701
Tractors Owned: .
1 1948 Cub
2 1950 Cubs
1 1951 Cub
1 1952 Cubs
1942 Farmall H
1939 Ford 9N
1930 John Deere D
1941 John Deere B
1948 Allis Chalmers C
1956 Farmall 400
1945 Chrysler Airport Tug
Location: KS, Fort Scott (S.E. Kansas - Home of the people of the south wind; the Kansa)

Postby flyawa » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:19 pm

The Turnips are starting to really get going. We've had 5 inches of rain in the last couple of weeks and now warm sun. If you listen carefully you can hear them growing. :D

The okra is still blooming and setting on strong. Some of the okra plants are over 7 feet tall.

Still getting squash, tomatoes, peppers, and a few cucumbers from the small garden.

Getting tired of canning :D
"Maintain thine airspeed lest the Earth rise up and smite thee"

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:42 pm

Lookin great, guys!!!!------We have been getting a few green beans from the July planting. The late "test planting" of spuds made around 400 pounds of decent spuds from 2 rows a hundred feet long
We harvested some of the blackeye peas for seed, some of the Blue Hopi flour corn for seed, several different kinds of the squash seed, and greenbean seed,--so far!!
40 pound Boston Marrow with seeds
the half with seeds removed
Finished product in the test,---PIE!!!
Jaharadale half and one quarter,---this guy was 38 pounds.

These are all seed squash and judged by Virginia with a rating for fine dry flesh that is sweet and cooks up/bakes up nice.
We have tested several kinds so far and have a few more to go!---The yellow pear shaped ones didnt get far in the test, so they wont be planted next year. thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:40 pm

Here are a couple random dug parsnips.

Hope the rest of the row is as good as these two guys were!---Have to dig over a foot deep to get them out of the ground!---Was thinking about using the backhoe, but dont think it will go under the power line that is in front of this garden!----anyhoo, they look good this year.

here is one of the salsify roots!

Not sure WHAT these things taste like,--but I dont think I care much for them! have about 3/4 row of them next to the parsnips! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:31 am

Got our first killin frost here a couple of nights ago and now its just cold, wet, and miserable here, rain again this morning, temps in 30's and 40's here!---feels like SNOW!!!----Still need to get some of the gardens plowed!----Anybody want to do a plow day in my gardens?----I have most of them mowed and shredded, ready for turning under!

Still have lots of squash in the shed free for the taking!--also lots of nice onions, free of course! ---dont have the winter storage space or the need for all of them!
Parsnips will be dug after they freeze good to improve the flavor!---Not sure what I will do as to digging the peanuts, as they didnt do well this year!! (too wet and cold all during the growing season!)
Did get 1 nice watermelon! thanks; sonny

vdeal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 26542
Tractors Owned: Case 1290
BCS 720 Harvester

Postby vdeal » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:49 am

Sonny,

You need to leave those parsnips and salsify in the ground through the winter and dig them when needed or in the early spring. The process of freezing converts some of the starch in them to sugar and they taste much better. We never touch them before mid winter. Salsify is also called oyster plant and if you skin it and cut the flesh into cubes you can make an faux oyster stew that I personally have a hard time telling from the real thing. Again they need to be frozen to taste right.
"If America could be, once again, a nation of self-reliant farmers, craftsmen, hunters, ranchers, and artists, then the rich would have little power to dominate others. Neither to serve nor to rule:That was the American dream." -- Edward Abbey

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:45 pm

Here is one strange parsnip!

27" of white,--plus the top! --dont know where it was headed to!---A few inches broke off the bottom, so it probably was at least 30" long.

The ONLY watermelon that made it!

The melon was excellent ! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:13 pm

Harvested another seed batch,--this time the round red warty thing!---LOTS of nice seeds in this dude!

Japanese bottle squash, the only one that matured!---they are green when mature but turn brown in storage!---IT DID!

The red warty thing had to be cut open with the sawzall!---not joking!--VERY hard shell about a quarter inch thick!---got a test piece in the oven baking right now!--looks/smells good! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:28 pm

Red warty thing test went well!---This is one super squash!--sweet, fine grained , deep orange flesh! pie or just bake scoop out add brown sugar butter a dash of salt mix together and enjoy while hot! also got probably a half pound of nice plump seeds for next year to plant/share!

Queensland test next! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:09 pm

Anybody saving seeds this year?

Here is the Round Red Warty Thing seeds we dried and saved from this years crop,---have lots more to go! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”