This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

new to fourm...

Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450 & 560 Tractors, 1939-1963
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
hamdizle
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55432

new to fourm...

Postby hamdizle » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:32 pm

well i have is what I think is eather a 53 or 54 super m wide front.......for the most part its in decent shap but it does need new tires and rims......it hasent been started in 12 or more years....I've been doing a few things to it to get it running....battery, plugs....cleaned out the fuel lines....it has good compression and turns over good but it wont fire.....so I'm wondering if there is a couple of things that I should be doing.....fyi I'm not a farmer or a mechanic but, I can do normal stuff.....I cant let my grand dads tractor go to waste any more....any help on this would be much appreaciated.....thanx...Eric

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: new to fourm...

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:52 pm

Welcome to the Forum Eric.

Might need a little more info on the tractor and what has been done to get it running again.
Concentrate on the ignition parts until you are getting spark at the plugs at the correct time. Then work on the fuel system. You may have to use a pony tank for the fuel until the tractor tank is cleaned out.
If you keep a systematic approach, you won't get side tracked. Good luck and keep us posted.

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

WELCOME

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:18 pm

Great bunch of Guys and Gals here to help you with your Cub. NEVER hesitate to ask any question - silly or not :) :)

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:12 am

Welcome aboard. There is a couple of members up there in Minnesota, new you that may be able to come over and give a helping hand.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:13 am

Eric:

Hi and welcome to the forums.. and congrats on trying to get your Granddad's Super M running again. Having that kind of connection to a project is pretty special and I imagine it is pretty rewarding as you see progress. Even though you are not a mechanic.. don't let that stop you. I would imagine most of us are not mechanics, but just love our tractors and are self-taught/forum taught in maintaining our tractors. The guys here will help with any problem you have.

hamdizle wrote:.it has good compression and turns over good but it wont fire.....

There a 4 main factors you have to take into account when trying to get an engine to fire. You need Fuel, Compression, Spark and Air. So far, you know that you have Compression. So here is where I would start. Clean the entire Fuel Circuit from the tank through to the carb. Ensure that all is clean with no obstructions/blockages from the tank to the jets. Once you have fuel flowing, then check for spark. Others can describe that process better than I can as I am still learning ignition diagnostics. Then you have to make sure that the air circuit is in order .. you need air, but leaks are not good especially around the manifold.

I do not have any manuals for the M/Super M on the server yet, but it will come in time.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

RustyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 51646

Postby RustyFarmall » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:39 am

If it has been setting for 12 years, I can almost guarantee that the carburetor needs a thorough cleaning and rebuild, and most likely the ignition contact points have also become corroded to the point that they no longer function. You also really do need to have a repair manual of some sort that gives the various specifications and such. You've already got compression, now all you need is fuel and ignition.

hamdizle
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby hamdizle » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:38 pm

where's a good place to find a manual for this tractor??........there's some on e-bay for around $20....good deal????

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:57 pm

Eric:

I get most of my manuals from three places. Good folks who are members of the forums here who donate them for scanning, my original order from Binder Books and the original IH ones I buy on :eBay:. I only buy the originals and I do not buy any reprints that are not supplied by Binder Books. I will not support pirates or those who reprint manuals without a license.. I just do not believe that it is correct. Binder Books is the only authorized Reprint House for IH Manuals. They are probably the better source.

Binder Books wrote:Farmall Super M and Super MV Built from 1952-1954 - Serial numbers 501-52677 with the C-264 engine. List Price
1004245 Operators manual, Stage I tractors (battery box under hood) 98 pages $21.95

1004296 Operators manual, Stage II tractors (live hydraulics and battery box under seat) 102 pages $24.95
TC-46 Parts Catalog, 472 pages. $48.95
GSS-5033 Service manual, chassis $29.95
ISS-1039 Service manual, engine $29.95
GSS-5053 Clutch service $21.95
GSS-5035 Magneto service $21.95

For my money these are the best reprints available and worth every dime. When I first got my Cubs, the guys like BD, George Willer, EJ Puckett, CB and a bunch of others all recommended that the first thing I do is get the 3 primary books for my Cub .. the Owner'w Manual, the GSS-1411 Service Manual and the TC-37F Parts Catalog. The set cost me almost $100.00Cdn 10 years ago.. and it was a good deal then and an even better deal now. These manuals are priceless. I keep my good paper copies in the house and I print off my work copies from the server.

I would suggest that you get the full set from Binder. Who knows maybe there is a complete set price as well? Wouldn't hurt to ask.

I did a quick search for Farmall Super M Owner's Manuals, Farmall Super M Service Manuals and Farmall Super M Parts Catalogs. There are a couple of originals avaialbe, but not many.

Oh some of the Blue Ribbon Service Manuals on the Cub Manual Server do apply to other tractors in the Letter Series - mostly Ignition/Magneto/Electrical manuals. Hope this helps some.

I do not recommend buying CD-Rom Manual Collections on :eBay:. Those are definitely grey market. (this does not include the Cub Manual CD project folks :arrow: :D )
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

RustyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RustyFarmall » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:24 am

Rudi, you are 100% correct. Most of the manuals found on eBay are pirated copies and the folks selling them need to be hung out to dry. The only manuals I will buy from there are the manuals that I know for sure are originals. The I&T manuals are very good for specs and SOME procedures, and make a good supplement to, but will NOT replace the real thing.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:08 pm

I have always used I&T manuals with no problems and always will!---Keep in mind that they are written only for the pros.,---NOT a beginner! thanks; sonny

hamdizle
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby hamdizle » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:30 pm

well i got a manual on ebay for 20 bucks.......I ALSO FOUND SOME PARTS IN A BOX ,LIKE A CONDENSER AND SOME OTHER ELECTRICAL PARTS,THAT i'M SURE WILL COME IN HANDY...I THINK I'VE NARROWED THE PROBLEM DOWN TO IGNITION ITS GOT GAS AND AIR AND COMPRESION SO i'M GOING TO WAIT UNTILL THE MANUAL COMES TO DIVE INTO THAT....... i DO HAVE A FEW ?'S IM STILL NOT SURE WHAT YEAR IT IS THE SERIL # IS...F2016-J MODEL SM.........AND WHAT ITS WORTH...I KOW ITS HARD WITH OUT ANY PICS BUT ITS IN PREATY GOOD SHAPE IT SAT IN THE BARN FOR ITS LIFE SO IT'S STILL GOT THE PAINT,GOOD SHEET METAL....IT''S JUST THAT THE REAR RIMS AND TIRES ARE SHOT...AND IT IS A WIDE FRON'T.....ANY ESTIMATES WOULD HELP...I see that some on craigs list sell for around 2500-3200....in good running condition....any info is appreaciated......Eric

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:17 pm

F2016-J is 1952.

hamdizle
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby hamdizle » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:21 pm

hmmmmm 1952......I would think that the wide front would be quite rare for that yr.......

RustyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RustyFarmall » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:58 am

hamdizle wrote:hmmmmm 1952......I would think that the wide front would be quite rare for that yr.......

Wide fronts were available as an option through ALL production years, and could even be added later if needed. On top of that, there were also several different aftermarket companies that manufactured wide front axles to fit those tractors, and even today you can buy a brand new Schwartz wide front axle to fit a Farmall M. There is nothing rare about a farmall M with a wide front.

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:01 am

It is still a great tractor and hope you get it running soon.I have a H and love a big tractor to do heavy work around here.Might want to get some help on the spark end of this.My tractor was 2 teeth off for years on the timing.Runs real good now.God only knows how long it was off.Oil been changed??Might want to check the oil cup for the air intake system also.You are in cold,so you might want to get some good antifreeze in her too!!Let us know how you are coming on your project also.Kevin :shock: :shock:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Return to “Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450, & 560”