This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

new to fourm...

Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450 & 560 Tractors, 1939-1963
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Re: new to fourm...

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:18 am

Nice! You have a great, fun project before you.... I am not too wise about M's, but my good friend has one. Coincidence, I was out looking at their new big green tractor (Oliver 1550) last night and he fired the M up. Nuttin like the sound of a Farmall. They have been looking for a wide front for a while.

Manuals are still available from Case, but they are reprinted from the originals so Binder could be a better option?? The service manual is invaluable, each section has a theory of operation that can really be helpful (how does a carb work for example).

http://www1.caseih.com/northamerica/Par ... tions.aspx
http://www.dmcretail.com/caseih/Default.aspx
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

hamdizle
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55432

Postby hamdizle » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:44 am

well I found a box of parts....new compressor and points...took me a bit to figure out where they go...still haven't got the manual in the mail yet....but replaced them both....I think that there is supposed to be a gap in the points but im not sure what that gap is.....so I'm waiting for the manual......if that doesnt give me the spark,then I'll be up for any help.....I wouldn't think that the coil would be the problem but who knows...the cap and rotor are in good shape and so are the plug wires but it wouldn't hurt to replace them....they are kinda old also.....

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Surely something simple (but not always easy to find). If it hasn't been messed with since it was parked you should be able to get it running, but old fuel and corrosion can make it difficult. In your situation you may be best off to try one thing at a time....

Most Farmalls were pretty similar for ignitions and what not, so a search will give you a wealth of information and you can see how others approached similar problems.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

hamdizle
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55432

Postby hamdizle » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:57 pm

well its not a fuel problem...i cleaned the carb.....its not a compression problem..i cheacked that....and its not an air problem....getting plenty.....I just got no spark.....it was in good running order when it was last used....its been around 15 yrs but all in all its in good shape...out of the weather sitting in the barn so....I hope its nothing too expensive....

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:49 am

Lack of spark after sitting for several years is commonplace. Most often it is due to glazed points that are no longer conducting. Clean the points with a point file and set them to .020".
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450, & 560”