This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sediment bowl....

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
RedFox
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: -
'77 Cub "Daisy"
'47 Farmall A "Poppy"

Sediment bowl....

Postby RedFox » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:49 am

Noticed I have a fairly good leaking sediment bowl. No cracks that I can see in the bowl. I was thinking a rubber gasket, but then, I noticed if I shut the fuel valve, it still leaks until the bowl is empty (though it leaks more slowly as the bowl empties). Doesn't seem like a hard fix or an expensive part. Should I mess with trying to solve it with parts or just get a replacement.

While on the subject of replacement parts. It didn't take long for me to find a ton of parts for these, but I have noticed differences in what's out there. I really would NOT like to buy some made in China stuff if I can help it. I see some places that have the bowl with and "L" shaped valve and others with some modern looking valve. I'm assuming the "L" shaped valve is the original design for my model year and would like to keep the tractor as close to original as possible.

Anyone know of a reputable place for parts that carry mostly Made in USA that are authentic parts or authentic reproduction? I'm sure the Chinese stuff is ok, but call me crazy, I just like buying American whenever I can. If I can't then I could understand, but I'd really like some Made in USA authentic or authentic reproduction. Cost is also a factor, but I am also a firm believer in getting what you pay for, so price is not the only concern. :)

Thanks!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Arthur Luke
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 74022
Tractors Owned: 8 F Cubs, 7 Lo-Boys, 2 # LoBoys, 1 CC, 1 H, 1 other
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sediment bowl....

Postby Arthur Luke » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:58 am

Click on TM Tractor Parts link at bottom of page for new parts. They sell good stuff.
welcome to forum.
Last edited by Arthur Luke on Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a good day, Art Image
Circle of Safety

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:05 pm

It is an easy fix. It sounds like the packing needs to be replaced or the packing nut needs to be tightened down. If you want good stuff go with original parts from Ralph or new parts from TM. Ralph's stuff is as good as new, but better because it is the orginal materials.

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39030&p=322423&hilit=packing#p322423

RedFox
10+ Years
10+ Years
'77 Cub "Daisy"
'47 Farmall A "Poppy"

Postby RedFox » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:18 pm

Thanks for the link Dan. I seem to recall the valve lever being pretty soaked with fuel, but not the top of the bowl assembly. I will take a closer look, but I'm starting to lean toward the valve packing material or loose nut....cheap efficient fix...and a great starting point. :D

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:26 pm

Redfox, When you take the glass bowl off to replace the gasket (if needed), there is also a round filter screen that is often missing. TM Tractor also carries those. They will be moving to Fl after Thanksgiving, so if you want to order from them, keep that in mind as they will be closed for several months.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Postby awander » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:11 pm

I am not seeing how the glass bowl, which is closed at the bottom, could leak until it is empty-unless the fuel somhow wicks up the side of teh bowl?
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:37 pm

If the bowl is draining down until it is empty or nearly empty it has to have a crack in it.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:18 pm

Redfox:

I gotta agree with Andy and BD.

redfox wrote:Noticed I have a fairly good leaking sediment bowl. No cracks that I can see in the bowl. I was thinking a rubber gasket, but then, I noticed if I shut the fuel valve, it still leaks until the bowl is empty (though it leaks more slowly as the bowl empties).

That is a cracked bowl. I happen to have one of them critters.. well more than one :oops: On the first bowl I could not see the crack until I cleaned it real well and then sprayed a little carb cleaner in it. It was sitting on a paper shop towel and within a very short time the bowl was empty and the shop towel was wet. Ergo there had to be a crack.. looked much closer and right at the bottom of the bowl just where the screw cap meets the bowl is where it was cracked. Very tiny, but it was enough to leak fuel. The second one, after I cleaned it, the crack ran around the circumference of the bowl from just above the bottom in an inclined line to 3/4 of the way up the bowl. Again you could not see it when the bowl was dirty, but when cleaned.. it became visible.

This is what you need. Tom has great parts and good prices coupled with supreme service. You can't get much better. They are also available at your local CaseIH Dealer, but make sure they give you the one for Cubs/A's and not the one for a Ford :!: :shock: :lol: Don't ask :censored: :censored: :censored: counterperson. (Kevin disregard this :lol: )

Stock# FL314 Price: $ 37.38 Fuel Strainer Assembly

These are the other two items that come with the Assembly..

Image and the Image

Stock# FL392 Price: $ 2.00 Fuel Strainer Gasket Stock# FL235 Price: $ 2.48 Fuel Strainer Screen.

Stock# FL186 Price: $ 12.68 Fuel Strainer Bowl

Now add that to the cost of a new shuto-off which I think is around $6.00 to $8.00 US, you are just as far ahead to get a new assembly. Keep what is good after a good cleaning for spare parts.

What I do is substitute the L-shaped shut-off valve with a 1/8" Ball Valve. I find it is easier on my fingers and it eliminates leaking entirely.

I think the best thing to do is to get a new Fuel Sediment Bowl Assembly from TM or CaseIH, your preference. Judging on what I just saw the other day on a fuel sediment bowl off of a Super A I am working on, convinces me that any tractor that has set a number of years with old fuel in the tank absolutely needs a new Fuel Sediment Bowl Asssembly just to be on the safe side.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

RedFox
10+ Years
10+ Years
'77 Cub "Daisy"
'47 Farmall A "Poppy"

Postby RedFox » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Thanks all.

I took a look more closely at the bowl after I changed the oil. It would appear that I have a few places where it's leaking. For sure at the valve (even after I tightened it down) and it looks like there may be a small crack somewhere in the bowl because there are no visible leaks above the top....appears to be coming from the lower part of the bowl.

So, I will contact Tom as suggested as I see he has a few odds and ends that I need and get it ordered before he moves. If I get that whole assembly as suggested Rudi, it has everything I'll need to replace it (gaskets, screen. bowl, etc) correct?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:24 pm

Yup, sure does :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:54 am

Take the bowl over to your sink and fill it up with water and see if it leaks :?

RedFox
10+ Years
10+ Years
'77 Cub "Daisy"
'47 Farmall A "Poppy"

Postby RedFox » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:51 pm

Bowl was not cracked, but I had several leaking gaskets, no strainer so a replacement was really the right way to go....and although I seem to have reduced the leaks by say 90%, I have noticed that the tank is leaking from the base where the bowl screws into the tank. Now the edges seem a bit rough on the bottom, but the threads appear fine (I was very careful not to cross thread). I wrapped teflon tape around the threads before I screwed it into the tank, but not sure it did much good. Should I have used plumber's putty instead of teflon tape? Seems to be worse now that I just nearly filled the tank. Less gas, nearly non-existent leak, more gas in the tank= more pronounced.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:08 pm

RedFox wrote:Should I have used plumber's putty instead of teflon tape?

I have used this product with good success. Make sure you let it cure according to the label instructions, if not longer.

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:02 pm

RedFox:

I would try the Permatex sealant that Don has highlighted. While I was playing with my other sediment bowls, I realized that CaseIH or their supplier more likely uses a sealant that appears similar to the permatex on the fuel shut-off and other threads. I would assume that it would work nicely. That probably would be a good next step.

What I am wondering is how far in are you threading the fuel sediment bowl. By rights it should seat almost at the shoulder. Each tank will be different of course depending on the quality of the threads. The sediment bowl should be threaded in until it seats tightly. Then the permatex or other sealants will be able to do their job. If the connection is not ticht, no amount of sealant will seal the threads.

Return to “Farmall Cub”