Poisoned my dog

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.

Moderator: Team Cub

Poisoned my dog

Postby prjones » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:28 pm

Here is a warning so this will not happen to you and your dog. Bought mouse/rat poison yesterday. Set down in garage in original package did not think much about and while I was at work today the dog opened package and ate it all. She is gonna make it, over nite stay at vets, shots and a month of pills.
All hat and no cattle.
prjones
10+ Years
10+ Years
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:32 am
Location: Milford,NJ
Zip Code: 08848
Tractors Owned: 58 Cub
59 Loboy
73 Cub blue&orange
107 Cub Cadet
IH 340 Utility
Kubota L3800
Gravely 566
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Poisoned my dog

Postby bob in CT » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:41 pm

Glad to hear the dog will be OK. That would be devastating.
User avatar
bob in CT
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
 
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:34 am
Location: CT, Manchester
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Poisoned my dog

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:14 pm

Thanks for the reminder. Glad to hear the dog will be okay.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein
Bob McCarty
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
 
Posts: 5701
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: CO, Longmont
Zip Code: 80501
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Poisoned my dog

Postby daddydip » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:17 pm

brought back a bad memory, one of the kids came home from college and wanted to get some things down from the loft in the barn a few years back. i had a bag full of poison sitting on a fifty five gallon drum. it was inadvertently sat on the floor and left there. :shock: my first jack russell cappy ate it until he was passing green florescent stools.it was too late for him but this is a good warning about the keeping of bait poisons and such. especially with it being the time of year that a lot of folks are probably starting to really lay down a lot of bait stations with the cold weather setting in. i keep all of my baits in sealed plastic buckets now and only put out bait stations that are lockable.
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

1955 michael e. pugh el

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman
User avatar
daddydip
5+ Years
5+ Years
 
Posts: 1802
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:57 am
Location: Pa. southeast
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108

1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy

1952 vai case

2005 236B Caterpillar

1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Re: Poisoned my dog

Postby Barnyard » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:58 am

About seven years ago I had put out bait in the garage and never gave it another thought. About an hour later I saw the dog chewing on something outside the door. It was the poison box. I went to the garage and the box and all the bait was gone. it was somewhat late and I called the vet and left a messagge. He called back within 15 -20 minutes and said to get a turkey baster and shoot hydrogen peroxide down his throat (the dog's throat not the vet's). I made a quick trip to the local 24 hour grocery and grabbed a baster and hydrogen peroxide. It didn't seem to work for almost an hour. Later I put the dog in the garage for the night and I heard him gag. Needless to say he let loose of everything in his stomach. Why he had to wait to do it on the garage floor is beyond me (payback for gagging him probably) but he lived happily ever after.

On a similar note, a guy I worked with came in one day and said he found both his dogs dead. Later he said he had drained his antifreeze over the weekend and had left the full pan by his garage door. Soon after that he said he saw the one dog drinking from it and chased him and then disposed of it. He said he hoped he hadn't killed his dogs. None of had to heart to tell him that, inadvertantly, he had.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Barnyard Bash CubFest May 30th - May 31st, 2014
Click here for info http://www.barnyardbash.com
http://www.Savethecub.com
User avatar
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
 
Posts: 17931
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:39 pm
Location: OH, New Haven (Hamilton County)
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Poisoned my dog

Postby dakcub » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:53 pm

Barnyard wrote:About seven years ago I had put out bait in the garage and never gave it another thought. About an hour later I saw the dog chewing on something outside the door. It was the poison box. I went to the garage and the box and all the bait was gone. it was somewhat late and I called the vet and left a messagge. He called back within 15 -20 minutes and said to get a turkey baster and shoot hydrogen peroxide down his throat (the dog's throat not the vet's). I made a quick trip to the local 24 hour grocery and grabbed a baster and hydrogen peroxide. It didn't seem to work for almost an hour. Later I put the dog in the garage for the night and I heard him gag. Needless to say he let loose of everything in his stomach. Why he had to wait to do it on the garage floor is beyond me (payback for gagging him probably) but he lived happily ever after.

On a similar note, a guy I worked with came in one day and said he found both his dogs dead. Later he said he had drained his antifreeze over the weekend and had left the full pan by his garage door. Soon after that he said he saw the one dog drinking from it and chased him and then disposed of it. He said he hoped he hadn't killed his dogs. None of had to heart to tell him that, inadvertantly, he had.


WOW...that brought back something I had forgotten about.....our Jack russel ate a ear off a stuffed toy....it was a rabbit....I called the vet and he metioned the peroxide trick....it worked in less than 30 seconds...I felt so bad as the dog was gurgling on the inside.....but all was well after the clean up....
Robert (misses Moone) Miller
dakcub
5+ Years
5+ Years
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:28 pm
Location: CA, Bakersfield
Zip Code: 93313


Return to Farm Life and Better Half Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests