This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Growing corn

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Growing corn

Postby BigBill » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:12 am

I'm dumping truck loads of 4 year old cow manure in my corn field and i hope to grow corn better next year. What do you think? I did plan on hitting it twice once now and again in the spring too.

I'm also having problems in getting good seed too. One package never came up in one spot. I figure its bad seed.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Re: Growing corn

Postby beaconlight » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:22 am

Do a soil test. Can't fix it if you don't know what is wrong, or right.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:20 pm

if it grows it should be very nutritous!
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:36 am

You have a good start with the old manure, but it still will take severla years for it to fully break down. Manure on a garden is a long term investment. I would also suggest getting a soil test on your garden. In Mo. you get your samples, and the Extension office provides a mailer. It used to be free, but now I think it is around $15 or so, but is money well spent.

In my area the best quality garden seed comes from the local farm and feed supply store. They buy it in large cans and you dip out as much as you want. The assortment is not as big as the places such as Lowes, etc. put the price and quality are much better.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby DanR » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:10 am

If the corn did not come up in 'one spot' take a soil sample from that spot in addition to the rest of the garden. Make it a separate test. Get your seed from a local source like your local Co-Op or AG store. Try to stay away from the Big Box seed. Wherever you do buy the seed, ask them where it came from and is it certified. If they don't know go somewhere else.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:47 pm

Are you pos that you dont have a black cutworm invasion on part of your field?----Another bad A-- is wireworms attacking the seed before it emerges!

Weak germination usually affects the whole field,--but read what their germ. claim is on the lable,---gotta be on there by law!---Dont buy low germ count,---OR if worst came down , then overplant to compensate for that amount!

At any rate keep the manure coming and it will make you some very fine soil down the road in a couple years plus adding the organic matter which ALL soil needs a LOT of to make for good root development! thanks; sonny

dirtyred
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31648
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub (tinkerbell) 1949 allis chalmers(ole bess) 1949-50 ?john deere model a

Postby dirtyred » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:19 am

bigbill- one local ag store here has a reputation of mixin old seed with new seed :? one thing i have put in my garden is mushroom compost it will grow taters and green beans for sure :) Was there a tree in the one area that didnt germinate? down here if lighting strikes a tree it wont grow good saw that in a corn patch where i know the tree was struck by lighting never did grow corn worth a toot. Has anything been burnt on the spot also? just my one cents worth.
He that tilleth his land shall be satisfied with bread: Proverbs 12:11

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”