This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO Pwered Generator?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
MaineDad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04260
eBay ID: mainewh
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub
1963 Wheel Horse 753
1996 Wheel Horse 314-8

PTO Pwered Generator?

Postby MaineDad » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:47 pm

Guys,

I bought a Wheel Horse 3,000 watt generator today that is powered by a belt and pulley. Can my Cub power this too?

Thanks in advance...
Micah in Maine
1952 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: PTO Pwered Generator?

Postby Rudi » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:51 pm

Micah:

Pretty sure it can, it looks similar what may have been available for a Cub.

Here is one from TM Tractor

Can you post the specs of the Wheel Horse you have?
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

MaineDad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04260
eBay ID: mainewh
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub
1963 Wheel Horse 753
1996 Wheel Horse 314-8

Postby MaineDad » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:05 pm

120 volts

25 amps

Phase 1

Hertz 60

RPM's 3,600

What is the rpm's on the PTO for the Cub?
Micah in Maine
1952 Farmall Cub

mjt24073
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24101
Tractors Owned: 1951 F Cub
JD 670

Postby mjt24073 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:07 pm

I have a PTO generator for emergency power that I use with my other compact tractor. They take approximately 2 HP per KW of generator output, so your model should be fine for the cub. The problem will be getting this one to operate at the proper speed. The voltage output is contingent on it operating at the proper speed. My cub's speed rage is limited to about 4 distinct speeds, so you would have to do a good job of matching the pulleys to get the correct operating speed to get 120 volts (and not too much or too little). Good luck! A little geneator like that would be handy for a lot of applications where you need some portable power.

Mike

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:32 pm

Micah:

I am not sure of the math.. but you can get the rpms's set right by using different pulleys to bring it up. The Cub will vary from a low idle of 400 rpm to 1800 wide open, and probably around 750-1000 at mid-throttle? I should put the Stewart-Warner on Ellie one day and figure it out. Probably just a bit of experimentation to get it in the ball park. You might want to hook up some sort of RPM gauge to determine the rpms developed at the Generator :?:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:56 pm

That generator will require about 6hp for full output. Plan to run the Cub engine at 1500 RPM or similar speed. Be aware that the normal AC power is 60Hz and is controlled by the generator speed. If the generator speed varies from 3600 rpm, the Hz of the output will vary. Some electrical devices, such as power tools, will not be affected by minor variations. Some electronic equipment may be affected. The POCO holds the Hz on their supply very precisely.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Gary Boutwell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70401
Tractors Owned: 3 barns full of Cubs and implements in various stages of disrepair

Postby Gary Boutwell » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:40 pm

Rudi wrote:Micah:

Pretty sure it can, it looks similar what may have been available for a Cub.

Here is one from TM Tractor

I might trade one of my beloved Dachunds for one of those!
Louisiana Cub Fest, March 5 & 6, 2010
http://ihc31.com/cubfest
Gary Boutwell
Hammond, LA

3 barns full of Cubs of various condition

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:59 pm

Use 1500 RPMs on the Cub's engine/PTO for your calculations for pulley sizes. This will give you a bit of "slop" since the commonly available pulley sizes may not come up to the exact caluclations.

The main problem will be getting the engine set at the RPMs need to power the generator. Not a big problem since the generator set has a volt meter. The problem comes in with the notches on the throttle quadrant.

Throttle set in last or next to last notch at about 1500 engine rpms. Put maximum load on the generator set. Check the voltage on the generator set and double check with a seperate volt meter. Adjust the throttle rod (called rod, governor connecting in parts manual) and clevis at the governor rock shaft to set the engine speed - to maintain the desired rpms/voltage.

Used a similiar process to put together a 10 KW generator set powered by a 25 hp Kohler engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

redfin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 70737

Postby redfin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:02 pm

Gary Boutwell wrote:[

I might trade one of my beloved Dachunds for one of those!
[/quote]

I do beleive Gary's offer is the equivelant to anyone else giving one lung and one kidney :D

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:11 pm

The pulley on the Cub should be approximately twice the size as the one on the generator and you should be ok. Speed of the generator (really alternator) will set the cycles.
When I worked on the Dew Line in the Aleutians we had two clocks on the power room wall. They were both AC syncronus clocks. One drew its power from the diesels we generated with and the other from a crystal supply used to set frequency for the Radar. If the clocks varied we sped up or slowed down the engines to keep the time in sync. We never varied by more than a second or two a week. We also checked with WWRL, the call of the Navel observatory if I remember it correctly.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:18 pm

Gee I have the Wheelhorse tractor that it belongs on wish I had the generator :D
Jim Turner

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:08 pm

I remember a discussion a while back about lack of lubrication for the bearings on the PTO shaft and transmission shaft when using the PTO and not driving the tractor. The bearings being oiled through the drip holes in the channel that catches the slung oil from the gears when driving. Am I not remembering correctly or could running the generator for a prolonged time eat a PTO bearing?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Scrivet wrote:Lack of lubrication for the bearings on the PTO shaft and transmission shaft when using the PTO and not driving the tractor.
Wouldn't hurt to give the PTO zerk a shot of grease ever couple of hours when running the generator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

grease @ 150 hrs

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:36 am

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... e%2067.jpg

I assume that the figure is "normal operation" and not 100% stationary operation, but I wouldn't over grease it tho ----- :?:

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:06 am

Eugene wrote:
Scrivet wrote:Lack of lubrication for the bearings on the PTO shaft and transmission shaft when using the PTO and not driving the tractor.
Wouldn't hurt to give the PTO zerk a shot of grease ever couple of hours when running the generator.

That takes care of the one bearing in the rear of the trans but what about the front and center ones inside that are getting no oil. I've always wondered about this set up, there's no oil slinging gear built into the cub trans like say a Farmall A..
Don't like it and I don't let mine set running out of gear very long.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Return to “Farmall Cub”