This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lifting Rod for Leveling and Grader Blade

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bumble
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21236

Lifting Rod for Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby bumble » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Hey all. I have a 1948 Farmall that I'm trying to affix a Leveling and Grader Blade to. I have her all hooked up, but I'm missing the lifting rod shown here http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20Implement%20Manuals/McCormick-Deering%20Leveling%20and%20Grader%20Blade%2012-20-48/Page-06.jpg, and from what I can tell, the original P/N is 650 135 R1. I'm pretty sure I'm looking at the correct model's manual, and what I have is like this, but in better condition: http://www.wengers.com/display_product.asp?category=tractor_equipment&equip_type=farmall_supera&sku=61341. In the pic, you can barely see it laying down on the right side. If anyone has a blade like this, could you tell me where I could find a lifting lever, or the length of the rod? I have a machinist that can make one easily enough for me. Thanks for your time.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Lifting Rod for Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:29 pm

If you have the 1948 version with 2 round rods, then here are the dimensions for the rod you specified:

#8 ) 5/8" rod, from the center of bend to center of bend is 20 1/2" long. Each end has a 90 degree bend, 1" long, and the ends are bent in opposite directions. Also a hole drilled for an 1/8" cotter key 3/16" from the edge

The 54 version uses a round rod in this location too but does not use the round rod in the front. You may have a 54 so study that one carefully. There were 3 versions: The Leveling & Grader Blade, made one year only, then the 54 and finally the 54A.
Last edited by bob in CT on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Bumble:

Item # 15 IH Part $ 650 135 R1 Rod Rear Lifiting

This nught also be the rod that you are looking for IH Part # 650 293 R91 for the Cub-54 version. (edited: error.. tnx Bob)

This thread has the dimensions of the lift rod: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25809

More pics in the link above.

You may find this thread interesting Snow plow problem as well.

However if you actually have the 1948 blade then Bob's measurements would be the ones you want. Although, it is just the length that changes from 24 to 20-1/2".
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Andrew Z
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06234

Postby Andrew Z » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:58 pm

Bumble,
im not sure if you can wait for TM to reopen but if you can or want a very nice replacement for one then give him a call. I bought one from him 2 or 3 years ago and i was very pleased. The rod looked exactly like the real thing very nicely done. if i recall right it was around 30 bucks.

Andrew
49 Cub, and many other Farmalls and one Orange critter :)

This is Farmall Country!!

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:59 pm

The part in Rudi's pictures is 650 293 R91, which would be the correct rod for the 54 blade. Note that this is a welded assembly whereas the earlier one was just bent rod. The diagram and part number posted by Rudi before the photos is for the earlier version, same as you linked to. The blade to linked to at Wenger's appears to be a 54.
Last edited by bob in CT on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:04 pm

tnx Bob, I overlooked the second part number... :oops:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:13 pm

Rudi wrote:tnx Bob, I overlooked the second part number... :oops:

How many times have we seen a combination of 2 versions of these blades plus a home-made part lumped together? Navigating the difference of these blades gets to be a real challenge.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:23 pm

you can say that again.. :lol:

bumble
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bumble » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:35 pm

The pic with P/N: 650 293 R91 looks closer to what I have at the bottom part that the rod attaches to. However, the upper end shown in the pic is a bit different. From the left side master lever linkage, comes a torque tube with a cam-like gizwanker on it. That cam is where the spring links attach for the cultivators. From what I can tell, that rod needs to go between the cam, and that square-shaped arm for the blade. This leaves me to believe that I have either a 54 or a 54A, since I do not have the forward and rear lifting rods in my setup. Now, the odd part is, when I look at the 54 manual, it shows the spring mounted in a vertical, or topside position, which I do not have. Mine looks like the one I showed from Wenger's. Is it possible that I have a mish-mosh of parts, or a 54A? I'm rook, so I don't know what a 54A looks like. From what I described above, can someone supply a dimension for the link that I need? Dad's all anxious about getting to plow snow (they've received about a foot's worth up there over the past few days), but I do intend on ordering the right part from TM for it, once I figure this thing out. I just want it to be right.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:41 pm

The one on Wengers is a 54, the 54A had the vertical spring. and the earlier blade (McCormick Deering grader and leveling blade ) had the round rods. The McCormick Deering also had a bolt that had to be removed to angle the blade rather than pulling a pin.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:22 pm

Bumble:

Ok, before you get too carried away, I would suggest that you go over the parts diagrams for the three different types of the blades Levelling and Grader Blades.

It is quite possible that you may have a mish-mash of parts as you say, however you will be able to identify the basic model from the majority of the parts that you have. I would suggest that you print off those pages in the link above and go look at what you have. Identify each part individually and then figure out what you have. Take a couple pics if you can and post em here. Follow the links to the CBoK and read the articles in the chapter On The Forums. This will help you post pics.

Once you do that, then we will be able to help you and it will be easier and much faster to get you up and running. You may have sufficient parts to get up and running or you may need a couple. We do have some measured drawings available for some parts.... so that will help as well.

Hope that makes things a bit easier.

bumble
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bumble » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:44 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:The one on Wengers is a 54, the 54A had the vertical spring. and the earlier blade (McCormick Deering grader and leveling blade ) had the round rods. The McCormick Deering also had a bolt that had to be removed to angle the blade rather than pulling a pin.

According to this manual http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20Implement%20Manuals/Cub-54%20Leveling%20and%20Grader%20Blade%206-7-53/Page%2002.jpg, the 54 has the vertical spring, so I'm a little confused between what you're telling me, and what's on the Wenger's site. If I go by the book, the Wenger's pic is not a 54. I cannot seem to find the link to a 54A manual. Could you please point me in the right direction, so I see what it looks like? I'll tell ya, What I have looks exactly like the Wenger's site to a T. I'm not sure if the left/right angle adjustment has a pin or a bolt, being's that part is missing. I'm going to have someone take some pics, and email them to me tomorrow. Hopefully, you guys can figure this thing out, because I'm totally cornfused.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:25 am

Bumble:

Ok, lets try a different CBI. This is from the CBI-1A Revision 3 - Blades

This one is a Cub-54. Check out the parts pages here. You will see what the differences are between the Cub-54 and it's next revision the 54-A. The differences are significant. Hope this helps.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:04 am

The manuals are confusing and keep in mind that the manuals have a number of revisions to correct mistakes and add new equipment.
Even though the manual called what we now know as a 54A a "54", if it has a vertical spring it is a 54A, or the final revision of this attachment.

Leveling and grader blade: 2 rods in the linkage. only made for one year. 1948
54 blade: one round rod in the linkage. Front lift done with 2 flat bars making a more rigid triangle. 1949-1952
54A blade: round link replaced and vertical spring added to the front lift. 1953 on
You have a 54 blade.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:19 am

Bumble, I will admit my memory is getting bad, as I get older. I may have confused them, but the others will straighten you/me out. That is the main reason i do not post near as much as I used to.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”