This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mushrooms

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Mushrooms

Postby Eugene » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:44 pm

Anyone grow mushrooms either for personal use or commercially?

I have been thinking about trying to grow Shiitake mushrooms for several years.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 47037

Re: Mushrooms

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:16 pm

I almost tried it last year. Went to the extension agent and pick up alot of info. Also google searched and found a company in Wisconsin (I think) and bought a book and high speed drill to innoculate logs. Seems like the crucial item is keeping the logs at the correct moisture and sunlight. But looks like you can grow them about anywhere. What is it your wanting to know exactly. Greg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:50 pm

I'm in the same positon. Done research. Just looking for someone who has experience growing mushrooms. Or failure.

From my research I have everything I need except for the drill and the spore/supplies. I've sent for a catalog on supplies. If the supplies are not to expensive, I'd like to try on a small to very small scale for household use.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 47037

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 am

Eugene- You do not need to buy a "Special high speed bit". Any bit of the correct diameter would work..for that matter when you are ready to innoculate, should be around late Feb. or March, I'll send mine to you. It really didn't cost much, but it is small and will ship easily . It is suppose to fit in a small hand grinder.
Last year I waited too long before cutting my logs. Sap was already going up. Just one of my many goooofs last year :oops: Good luck..Greg

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”