This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Squirrels!!!!

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Squirrels!!!!

Postby deputy jailer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:11 am

Well a little over a month left in the season Mikey and I decided we would take a mid day stroll and find us some squirrels. This was Mikeys first trip squirrrel hunting and its one he will remember. I found an old hickory tree with fresh cutting lying below it and we stood still and waited. I ended up killing 5 out of one tree. I figured that was enough for the day and headed home. As you can see here Mikeys a pretty happy little boy. :D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Squirrels!!!!

Postby Yogie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:59 am

Very nice Podge, I don't know how season runs here in WVa. I haven't taken a squirrel for a good 30 years but the little one will start shooting practice this spring. He's been shooting bow with me for several years but I didn't notice until shooting a bb gun this past summer that he's going to be a lefty when it comes to shooting. Can't hit a thing right handed but shooting left he's on every time. Even being right handed I checked to see which was his dominate eye and it came up left...
I'm ready for spring time...
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:01 am

Yogie wrote:Very nice Podge, I don't know how season runs here in WVa. I haven't taken a squirrel for a good 30 years but the little one will start shooting practice this spring. He's been shooting bow with me for several years but I didn't notice until shooting a bb gun this past summer that he's going to be a lefty when it comes to shooting. Can't hit a thing right handed but shooting left he's on every time. Even being right handed I checked to see which was his dominate eye and it came up left...
I'm ready for spring time...

I cant wait for spring either, it means turkey season :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: I cant wait to try my new bow out this coming year, I ordered a Martin Cheetah it is sweet :D :D :D

CountryCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32466
eBay ID: Seth.James.S
Tractors Owned: Partial ownership with BRay
1951 Cub- Andy
1949 Cub- Amos
1957 Cub- Elsie
1955 Cub- Swamp cub
1948 Lo-Boy- Anna
1949 H- Boss Man
1950 C-
1953 Super C-
International Cadet-Scooter
Cub Cadet- Louis Martin

Postby CountryCub » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:43 pm

Man, I love squirrel hunting, i've shot them for a few years but 3 days ago was the first time I skinned one, by myself, and did it right! :-:-):

I can't wait for Turkeys either, except I gun hunt them. Those Turkey Guillotinesâ„¢ are hardcore lil jokers!
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today." --Robert E. LeeImage

vtwarthog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: -----------------------
63 IH cub lo-boy,
74 IH 154 w/3pt & creeper
72 IH 454 diesel w/loader

Postby vtwarthog » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:06 am

AND.... They are about the best tasting game I've ever had. the last time I had squirrel was many years ago. Fond memories of shooting grey squirrel with a 22 single shot stevens when I was 10-12 yrs old. Usually only took 3 hours or so to bag a dozen amogst the oak trees of northern connecticut.
Paul Allard

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:23 am

CountryCub2 wrote:Man, I love squirrel hunting, i've shot them for a few years but 3 days ago was the first time I skinned one, by myself, and did it right! :-:-):

I can't wait for Turkeys either, except I gun hunt them. Those Turkey Guillotinesâ„¢ are hardcore lil jokers!

I cant speak for other states but here in good ol Ky in the fall your allowed 2 toms and 2 hens, 2 are with shotgun and 2 with bow. Bowhunting them is very addictive and funs as heck :D The spring is really fun when you hit the ol hoot owl call and you hear gobbling everywhere :D :D

Pathfinder
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49829
Tractors Owned: '49 cub
'43 H

Postby Pathfinder » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:20 am

I moved to Escanaba in Michigans upper penninsula and was horrified there are almost no squirrels! I spent nearly everyday during the season lookin' EVERYWHERE,and only saw a few Pine squirrels. I really miss hunting them,but being in the woods is just as good. I'm a primitive hunter,dress in buckskins and use fintlocks, a .40 cal smoothbore,and a 10ga Brown Bess,1742 model. If squirrels weighed 200lbs,thats all I'd eat!
If you don'tlike the way the founding fathers formed this country,thank God they gave you the right to leave,NOTHING need's to be changed!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:41 pm

I had wall to wall squirrels here until i adopted 3 feral cats(brothers). At first the squirrels would harass one cat while it stalked it. Soon after the brothers would figure it out and team up on the hunt. I have no squirrels left and the only ones i do see are missing there heads. The cats have the wildlife population under control here now. There killing snakes, crows, some birds, moles, mice and squirrels heck there better than using decon. The rest of the squirrels stay in the back of my land in the water shed area were its safe.

I also have deer, blackbear, lynx and mountainlion too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Daniel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15425

Went yesterday.

Postby Daniel » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:03 pm

I went squirrel hunting yesterday, missed every shot. I hate missing squirrels. All of my shots were tricky though, and I was using a .22 Bolt Action LR.

Sam C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30152
Skype Name: sam_crenshaw
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Farmall 200
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall M
1941 Minneapolis Moline
1955 Minneapolis Moline
1939 John Deere H
Multiple Ford 8Ns that weren't any good

Postby Sam C » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:00 pm

whats a good bait for catchin them
If you love what you do,
You will never work a day.

Keep with the music!

John C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1948, 1949, 1953, 1961 Cubs
1941 Minneapolis Moline
1939 John Deere H
1986 IMT 539
Multiple Ford 8Ns that aren't any good

Postby John C » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:07 pm

I would throw out some fresh corn or scratch feed out by the chicken pen; then climb up in the treehouse and wait for the squirrels to come. Pick them off as they carry off the corn.

Take care not to hit any chickens when shooting at the squirrels.
Don't shoot towards the house.
Watch out for anybody walking around.
"If every day were a holiday, sport would soon become chore"

Sam C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Skype Name: sam_crenshaw
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Farmall 200
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall M
1941 Minneapolis Moline
1955 Minneapolis Moline
1939 John Deere H
Multiple Ford 8Ns that weren't any good

Postby Sam C » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:26 pm

jee dad thats really good to put up a response specifically for our backyard instead of one that other people can actually use!!! u could of just come down to the basement and told me that!
If you love what you do,
You will never work a day.

Keep with the music!

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”