This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Compression Release

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Compression Release

Postby Eugene » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:20 pm

Does the 10 HP Kohler engine K241 have a compression release to ease starting? Rebuilt the engine, cranks easily without the spark plug. Cranks until the compression stroke then turns very hard. Even used a booster battery to assit in cranking.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:39 pm

Sounds like a starter problem to me. I rope pull a 12 horse Techumsa on my splitter. Course the other day at -20 i had to uncouple the pump, start the engine and when it was warm Rebolt the pump and pull again. When the oil was warm it started easy enough. I don't know if a Kohler has splash or pump lubrication. If pump, stiff oil can add to the problem.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:24 pm

Eugene
If the engine has a spec number suffix of "D" or higher, yes it should automatic compression release.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Thanks

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:07 am

I'll check the specs. I checked the engine timing with a timing light and and set the timing a bit retarded for the initial start. Engine has fuel and fire and lots of compression. I have a second K241 that I just rebuilt and it has about 20 PSI during cranking. I will swap engines, pull this one apart and double check everything again.

Thanks, Eguene

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:13 am

Eugene: 20 PSI compression would indicate that the compression release is working. Your S/G should actually turn it fast enough for the CR to kick out and and get full compression which should be over a 100 PSI. If you have a compression checker you can check compression with a rope and spin the engine back wards. Is the engine warm enough to have the oil thinned enough to start. A newly rebuilt engine are a little tighter than normal and can be hard to start. Most of this information I gathered from other people's post's and that CR can be at fault. Good luck.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Return to “Cub Cadet”