This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Trans drain and fluid

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Trans drain and fluid

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:59 pm

Terry - how does the clutch pedal feel now? Is there excess free play? Is it definitely different than when it was working OK?
If this has gotten worse since you got it home perhaps something was done to cover up a problem.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Song » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:02 pm

Clutch pedal has the same movement. No change. It just does not stop the insides to shift. Clutch will stop the tractor when pressed. I thought syncronizers.

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:10 pm

Bigdog wrote:Terry - how does the clutch pedal feel now? Is there excess free play? Is it definitely different than when it was working OK?
If this has gotten worse since you got it home perhaps something was done to cover up a problem.

Just so you know, the tractor did belong to me. Not sure what has happened since Saturday, but I can promise you there is NO cover up that I am aware of. I drove the tractor about 5 miles on Friday in an attempt to be sure everything was working OK. :oops: :oops:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Song » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:15 pm

It's a 50 plus year old tractor. Things break and that is expected. There is nothing to cover up on Mr. E's and at all. I'm glad I have the tractor and if something breaks it's just old lol

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:17 pm

OOPS! Sorry Roy - I did not know where Terry got the tractor or that he bought it from someone he knew. If I had known he bought it from you the thought would have never crossed my mind. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Song » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:45 pm

With that out of the way any ides on the clutch related issue? :lol:

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:18 pm

No ideas on the clutch issue, but I think this thread has more :oops: in it than any other I've seen :shock: :roll:

Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Song » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:21 pm

Bill E Bob wrote:No ideas on the clutch issue, but I think this thread has more :oops: in it than any other I've seen :shock: :roll:

It may do it. But the clutch is what I'm asking about. I didn't bring up anything but that I had a problem. I have now have this tractor and what happens to it from here on out is on me and no one else. You can bring up the other but not I. My post question is all I'm interested in.

P B G
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60525

Postby P B G » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:45 pm

Song wrote:Clutch pedal has the same movement. No change. It just does not stop the insides to shift. Clutch will stop the tractor when pressed. I thought syncronizers.

Which model number is this tractor?

Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Song » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:48 pm

P B G wrote:
Song wrote:Clutch pedal has the same movement. No change. It just does not stop the insides to shift. Clutch will stop the tractor when pressed. I thought syncronizers.

Which model number is this tractor?

It is a Super A

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:46 pm

Terry, I'm not too sure that tranny has any synchronization....just straight-cut gears like the cub. My bet is the clutch plate is sticking, or maybe galling to the flywheel. If you engage the PTO, does it stop turning when you depress the clutch pedal?
Last edited by Harold R on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Song » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:56 pm

Harold R wrote:Terry, I'm not too sure that tranny has any synchronization....just straight-cut gears like the cub. My bet is the clutch plate is sticking, or maybe galling to the flywheel. If you engage the PTO, does it stop turning when you depress the clutch petal?

I'm going to try that tomorrow.

P B G
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60525

Postby P B G » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:13 pm

Thought it looked like a super A in your other thread, then the syncro thing threw me off.

Super A should be like the cub as mentioned, you dont' shift unless you are real good at matching speed to engine rpm with one hand.

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Super% ... %20166.jpg

Anyhow, the PTO is a good indicator, could also be the clutch pedal adjustment not getting the pressure plate all the way pushed in instead of clutch sticking more like dragging. Also a rusty clutch will sometimes have enough friction to drag like you describe, making it hard to engage the gears. Use would typically wear them into working properly. But the towing something and pushing the clutch in for a bit at a time will sort of self lathe things back into compliance.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:47 am

Thats a good point PBG

I have a farmall 100 that the clutch froze up on. I had to start it in gear and drive it around with the clutch in and stepping on the breaks to get it loose. Right or wrong once I got it loose I stood on the breaks and slowly let out the clutch while in gear to polish it up.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Song » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Harold R wrote:Terry, I'm not too sure that tranny has any synchronization....just straight-cut gears like the cub. My bet is the clutch plate is sticking, or maybe galling to the flywheel. If you engage the PTO, does it stop turning when you depress the clutch pedal?

That's what it reminded me of. I know you can't clutch shift them on the move like an auto. I'll do the PTO tip when I get home. I'm going to video what I am talking about, if it comes out right, and post it up here.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”