This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Trans drain and fluid

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Trans drain and fluid

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:52 pm

There are no synchronizers. Something is dragging causing the shaft to keep turning unless under resistance. Could be an input shaft bearing or maybe something fell into the clutch / pressure plate assembly during the transport home. Look for remains of a mouse nest in the clutch area.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Song » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:17 pm

depressed clutch and putting in gear

PTO

P B G
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60525

Postby P B G » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:45 pm

That sure screams clutch problem.

How much freeplay do you have before you feel the pressure plate? An inch? More? As mentioned inspect for any junk in there, set your free play, try again.

On my cub I thought I had a problem, the adjuster bolt on the clutch had loosened and slipped. Had been working perfectly, then I couldn't get enough push to stop the pto shaft.

Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Song » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:13 pm

P B G wrote:That sure screams clutch problem.

How much freeplay do you have before you feel the pressure plate? An inch? More? As mentioned inspect for any junk in there, set your free play, try again.

On my cub I thought I had a problem, the adjuster bolt on the clutch had loosened and slipped. Had been working perfectly, then I couldn't get enough push to stop the pto shaft.

1.25in

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:20 pm

Terry - have you been able to look up into the clutch housing? I would first try to take a slight bit more of the freeplay out of the pedal. It is apparent that there is enough drag to keep the transmission input shaft turning but only a little. This rules out a totally stuck clutch disk. If the pressure plate is not fully releasing the drag will keep the disk turning. Removing some of the freeplay will allow the disk to dis-engage a bit more and may solve the problem. As I mentioned before - during the transport home something may have jarred loose inside the clutch housing. It is not unusual to find them full of mice nests or nutshells etc. An inspection inside the housing may tell the story.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:41 pm

Terry, the transmission input shaft is turning while the clutch pedal is depressed. Why it's turning could be one of several things. Somehow, it seems that the pressure plate isn't releasing completely, or something causing the pilot bushing in the fly wheel to turn the input shaft. It's hard to guess. How hard is it to split?

Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Song » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:45 pm

Harold R wrote:Terry, the transmission input shaft is turning while the clutch pedal is depressed. Why it's turning could be one of several things. Somehow, it seems that the pressure plate isn't releasing completely, or something causing the pilot bushing in the fly wheel to turn the input shaft. It's hard to guess. How hard is it to split?

No clue on splitting it. It's going to be a lot heavier than splitting a Cub. I'll have to get it to the shop were the hoists are.

P B G
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby P B G » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:06 pm

Because you can get it into gear, with the clutch pedal pushed down, and it doesn't move it implies that the clutch isn't rusted stuck to either the plate or the flywheel.

Do what Bigdog said and look up the inspection plate first, then take the freeplay down, even so far as almost touching, then press the pedal down and see if it reaches a point where you can shift into gear. If so add some freeplay from there till you can shift reliably but the throw out isn't dragging.

Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Song » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:46 pm

That was a quick look in there. :lol:

P B G
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby P B G » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:58 pm

Not really sure what that's supposed to look like in good/worn condition. I would probably expect to see more bearing, but this makes it look a bit more confusing than say a cub.

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Super% ... %20163.jpg

Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Song » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:39 am

Looks like i am at the max play with my 1 1/4 play. I am going to do this adjustment when I get home.

Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Song » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:47 pm

The clutch will have to be replaced. I adjusted as much as I could and it did get better but still not good.

P B G
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby P B G » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:06 pm

So I guess your new thread is, how best to split a super A?

Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Song » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:20 pm

P B G wrote:So I guess your new thread is, how best to split a super A?

I have every thing I need to split it.

Order one of these and get on it.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:47 am

Take a few pictures when you do it....might be helpful to those of us who have never dealt with a Super A.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”