bling on the hood

Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:35 pm

my lo-boy has the international cub emblems on both sides of the hood. i'd like to re-paint the hood (and fenders) in the springtime and will need to remove the emblems to do that. I started checking them out one day and i see that each one has 5 posts or studs that hold it to the hood. these things are in good shape and i'd like to be able to take them off-paint-reinstall without messing them all up. so all this is leading to the million dollar question. what is the best way to get them off without destroying them? they are expensive and i don't want to replace if i don't have to. I did take a couple of screw drivers and put a little pressure where the stud is but that didn't look all that promising. i guess this applies to the IH hood ornament too. thanks.

Re: bling on the hood

Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:44 pm

On mine I took a small hammer and lightly tapped on the pin part from the inside. You might want to spray some wd40 or such on it first. Just be gentle with it. Bob

Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:50 pm

ReTractor wrote:my lo-boy has the international cub emblems on both sides of the hood. i'd like to re-paint the hood (and fenders) in the springtime and will need to remove the emblems to do that. I started checking them out one day and i see that each one has 5 posts or studs that hold it to the hood. these things are in good shape and i'd like to be able to take them off-paint-reinstall without messing them all up. so all this is leading to the million dollar question. what is the best way to get them off without destroying them? they are expensive and i don't want to replace if i don't have to. I did take a couple of screw drivers and put a little pressure where the stud is but that didn't look all that promising. i guess this applies to the IH hood ornament too. thanks.

I don't recall ever seeing this addressed. All the emblems can be easily removed by this method... tap the studs from the inside with a very small hammer , tapping each just a little, taking turns. :D

Congratulations on wisely abandoning the screwdriver method... a sure way to destroy the emblems.
:shock:

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:06 pm

Glad to see you posting George. I hope to meet you this year at the Tug, Lord willing
David

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:46 pm

You can take a pair of plier & turn the barrel inserts so they will break to get the emblems off the hood. NAPA sells replacements. If you can take one with you to compair. They will be rusty so replacing them is a plus.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:56 pm

I removed mine, by tapping, as George suggested.

Good to see you posting, George. We missed you, and your knowledge. Ed

Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Nothing to add but like to say glad to see you feeling good enough to post George. Hang in there.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:54 pm

Boss Hog wrote:Glad to see you posting George. I hope to meet you this year at the Tug, Lord willing
David

Same here, Mr. Willer. Sure hope to see you there.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:19 pm

George:

I am really glad to see you post today :!: I sure hope you are feeling better and will be able to spend more time. We have surely missed you.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:47 pm

Same here George. Good to have you on here

Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:15 pm

George, hope you are well. You are the best.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:30 pm

George, it's great to have you back!!

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:11 am

George,

Absolutely wonderful to see your post! A sure sign you are on the mend.

Bill

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:28 am

Good luck on the emblems!!!And yes George,great to see you posting again!!! :{_}: :{_}: Kevin

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:08 am

George Willer wrote:
ReTractor wrote:my lo-boy has the international cub emblems on both sides of the hood. i'd like to re-paint the hood (and fenders) in the springtime and will need to remove the emblems to do that. I started checking them out one day and i see that each one has 5 posts or studs that hold it to the hood. these things are in good shape and i'd like to be able to take them off-paint-reinstall without messing them all up. so all this is leading to the million dollar question. what is the best way to get them off without destroying them? they are expensive and i don't want to replace if i don't have to. I did take a couple of screw drivers and put a little pressure where the stud is but that didn't look all that promising. i guess this applies to the IH hood ornament too. thanks.

I don't recall ever seeing this addressed. All the emblems can be easily removed by this method... tap the studs from the inside with a very small hammer , tapping each just a little, taking turns. :D

Congratulations on wisely abandoning the screwdriver method... a sure way to destroy the emblems.
:shock:

Hello George and thanks for the reply. I'm glad I was able to pose something original for you to jump in on...not the regular dumb questions that I might normally ask. The screwdriver thought was my first probe of the problem. Once i saw more resistance then i had expected i backed right off of that plan. Along with all the others I hope to see more of your posts in the future as you are feeling up to it. Thanks again.