This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Old Farmall Cub Pictures

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dusti Snider
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24739
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall "M" - Restored
1949 Farmall Cub - Original "Blue Ribbon Reconditioned"
1953 Farmall Super AI
1934 Farmall F-12
1929 Farmall Regular
1956 Ford 640
1972 Ford 4000
Circle of Safety: Y

Old Farmall Cub Pictures

Postby Dusti Snider » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:57 pm

Thought I'd start a thread and share a few pictures and thoughts that may be of interest to some of you here on the Farmall Cub forum.

I didn't grow up on a farm, as is probably the case with lots of us here on this board. However my maternal grandfather was a bi-vocational farmer most of his life. It was from him that I learned a lot about farming, and as a boy and teenager I spent as much time with him as I could…

Otis G. Reed and Mildred Dunn married in the summer of '39 and a short time later moved into a small frame house on the acreage given to them by my grandmothers Baptist preacher/farmer father. "Poppy" & "Granny" named the small tract "Sunny Slope Farm." As many great men of his era did, Poppy answered the call of this country and said goodbye to his wife and young daughter in 1944. He served in the U.S. Navy CB's, mostly in the Pacific Theater, returning home in the spring of 1947. My mother was born a short nine months later. He lived an American Dream there on Sunny Slope Farm, building a new home there on the place in 1950, purchased a new '51 Chevrolet pickup later that same year, and in the early spring of '51 bought a new International Harvester Farmall Cub...

He purchased the Cub from the local IH dealer, some 40 miles away. That dealer was J.M. Snider in Princeton, West Virginia. J.M. (Joe) Snider was the brother of my paternal great-grandfather C.H. (Charles Henry) Snider. My great-grandfather owned and operated a sawmill, and his brother started a small lumber and hardware store, selling his brothers lumber. The store that was birthed during the Great Depression at 106 Thorn Street in Princeton, West Virginia continued to grow, and after acquiring the IH/McCormick Deering line in the 40's began selling farm equipment.

There's no way to know for certain, but it is very likely that our '51 Farmall M came from that same dealership. I'm working now with a local sign shop to print me a set of vinyl decals for our tractor that will replicate the J.M. Snider store information based on information I've collected. Among this information is a letter from Joe's son back to the Company regarding an order...Unfortunately the J.M. Snider store closed before I was born, back in the early 60's. Lowe's moved into the building by the early 70's, and have moved four times since.

Here's the matching photo of the first one I posted. Poppy took this one; Granny is seated on the tractor, holding the trip rope for the rake. My Mom is the little girl in the white dress climbing up on the rake, her sister is leanign against the rear tire. Mom was probably about 3-4 when this picture was taken. This very well may have been its first summer on the farm.

Poppy only bought three implements with the tractor when it was new, the sickle mower, the dump rake, and a disc. He was raised farming with horses and I'm sure this little red tractor made life alot easier for a man that worked on the loading docks at the Celanese Fiber Plant during the day, and farmed during the evenings and Saturdays. He never worked on Sunday...that was the Lords day...a day of rest.

Here's another picture of Poppy's Cub, Mom is seated at the wheel. This picture was taken in the mid 50's when Mom was about 6-7, which was about the time she was taught to operate the tractor.

In 1982 Poppy retired after 45 years of service operating a forklift at the Celanese Plant near Pearisburg, Virginia. Determined to spend more time cleaning up the place he decided it was time to upgrade from the little Cub, and in the summer of ’82 sold the Cub. I was in high school and remember how excited I was when Poppy bought the '56 640 Ford that replaced the Cub. To me the little red belly Ford was so much nicer, powerful, and much more capable with the 3 point hitch, not to mention so much more stable on the hillside of Sunny Slope Farm. I don’t think Poppy ever got really used to the little Ford though, he never seemed satisfied with the way the 501 mowing machine mowed the fields, always preferring the cut of the belly mounted mower on the Cub. To him the Cub was a far cry better than the horses that he farmed with before the Farmall. Poppy was called home to be with his Lord on February 2, 2002, leaving behind a huge void in my life. The summer before he passed away a friend of mine called to let me know a bunch of guys were getting together and having a plow day with horses. I made the trip the next morning to Poppy’s and picked him up and we spent the day out there with those teams. He and I had a great day together. I stopped at his favorite restaurant on the way back home and bought his dinner...it was one of the most memorable days of my life, definitely one for the record books…I could write a book on him...but for the sake of boring ya'll I won't.

After Poppy passed I tried for a few years to locate Poppy's Cub, to no avail. Matter of fact that’s why I joined this forum eight years ago, in an attempt to find that tractor. I tracked it through one owner and one used equipment dealer. With no serial number to go by it’s very unlikely that I’ll ever find it. That search kindled an appreciation in me for the littlest of Farmall's, an appreciation I honestly didn't have twenty years earlier. Perhaps someday I'll find one like Poppy's and restore it to former glory. Someday I'll restore the little 641 Ford as well, and I'm glad we still have it in the family. When Poppy passed Granny gave the tractor to my Dad, who still uses it for light chores and family hayrides on the place. In the mean time I enjoy our big ol' 1951 Farmall M and the unique connection it gives me to my familys past.
Last edited by Dusti Snider on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Member IHCC Chapter 37 & 42 - North Carolina

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Re: Old Farmall Cub Pictures

Postby Hengy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:25 pm

Dusti!

This was a GREAT pictorial post! I love these stories of the cubs and families behind them. Never bored once while reading your story. Thank you for sharing it with us! (me!)

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:26 pm

Great story and great pictures. Like you, I've been trying to find my Dad's Cub, but consider it an almost hopeless endeavor. Thanks for the posting.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62253

Postby Pony Master » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:27 pm

What a great bunch of pictures. And a super story to go along with it.
1947 Circle Cub, 193, 189
1954 Cub w/FH, IH100, 194, F11
1956 Cub Loboy w/FH and 194
1960 Cub Loboy w/FH and L-54
1953 Super A, 2 seater B, Avery V, Avery A, JD M, MH Pony, Leader D, Allis Chalmers C, and my Great Grandpa's ZA Minneapolis Moline.

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:31 pm

great story and pic's! thanks for sharing it :)
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

johnny j
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20711
Tractors Owned: 1948 FARMALL CUB #34846

Postby johnny j » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:54 pm

Dusti ! Thanks for your post old cub pictures. :)

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:01 pm

GREAT Story and Pictures!!!! :big afro:

Why did you stop :?: :?:

Thanks for sharing, Loved it,
David

Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Song » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:07 pm

There are some posts on here that just really suck the reader into them and are so very interesting. This is one of them! That is a great post and awesome pictures.

John B.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08527

Postby John B. » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:13 pm

Nice photos and story!! To be continued?????
1966 Cub
54a Blade
Pennington Mower

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:13 pm

Great photos, I really like the first one. Here it is a little smaller but not cut off.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:26 pm

Dusti - I really enjoyed the story and pictures! I sure wish I had some pictures from the farm days.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:24 pm

Love the story. My uncle was an IH dealer here in town from the mid 40's to the mid 70's. Dad never used any other brand that I knew of. Unfortunately we don't have anything from those days. I need to do some digging.

Thanks for sharing.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:16 pm

Dusti:

That was a great story which I really enjoyed. Family histories like that make the connections to our heirlooms so much closer to us and by sharing them we can bring others closer to what we feel as well. These stories certainly can keep the fabric/feel/history of the family farms and the connections we have to them. As the connections that become slightly more tenuous for our children as society moves farther away from an agraian memory it is the reflections of those of us who have these memories that can put them into our written history and keep the memories of the family farm alive. Write your book Dusti.. keep your journal as you continue to search for Poppy's Cub for someday it may make very interesting reading for future generations.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:22 pm

Dusti,

Thank you for the great story.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:34 pm

Great story and wonderful pictures :!:

Return to “Farmall Cub”