Offset tricycle?

Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:45 pm

Was there ever such a beast? I think I have seen, what I thought, was one but not sure about it.

Re: Offset tricycle?

Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:55 pm

Terry - someone had a B that they replaced the left final drive and axle extension with the final from an A. This resulted in an offset narrow front / narrow rear B. It looked really unstable to me and I would hesitate to operate it on any kind of incline.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:30 pm

Terry,
I always referred to the Farmall B as an "offset tricycle". Technically, the engine is centered between the rear wheels, but the seat, steering, and foot pedals are offset, just like a Farmall A.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:24 pm

I have come across a couple of B/A crosses that were for sale, and the sellers were claiming they were factory. I did not call them a liar to their face, but strongly hinted I did not believe them. Both of them showed evidence of having been rolled.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:25 pm

If by "offset" you're referring to the Culti-Vision system then the following were available with it: Cub, A, Super A, 100, 130, 140 and B. Don't think I missed any. The B is the only one that I know of that came from the factory with a tricycle front end.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:41 pm

Ford also had a small offset, and not sure but the Oliver 44 may have been this style. thanks; sonny

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:51 am

The seat on the Oliver Super 44 did set off to one side but not as much as Farmall's Culti-Vision tractors. Not sure which Ford would have had this offset. However, I don't believe the Oliver came in a tricycle configuration and I don't know of any Ford's that did.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:40 am

Offset Ford 541 - Photo courtesy of Soundguy via YTMag site:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:11 pm

Thanks Bigdog,

Didn't know about the 541. Apparently the Ford 501 was also offered in an offset and there were some Ford Hundred series tricycle style tractors but the Farmall B is the only offset tricycle that I've seen. I've also noticed on the Oliver and Ford offset designs that the offset is minimal. With the Farmall/IH Culti-vision tractors the engine/body rail is displace to one side quite a bit. The Ford and Oliver pics still show a centered engine with the seat moved over along with the clutch pedal. Might have something to do with Farmall's patent on Culti-vision.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:32 pm

John Deere had an offset 900HC