This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How Many Cubbers are HAMs???

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

How Many Cubbers are HAMs???

Postby Rudi » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:31 pm

That is Amatuer Radio Operators y'all and not the smoked pork kind of ham or the actor kind of ham :lol: :lol: :lol:

As some of you already know, I am VE9RHS, and advanced amateur with all band, all mode privildges. I normally - when I have antenna's that is, operate in CW as well as SSB modes and I am beginning to play with an old interest - RTTY. Occassionally you may hear me on 2m, but that is kind of rare now as I no longer have a 2m rig in my van.

I am an avid DXer as well as an absolute Island nut. I chase Islands in the IOTA, US Islands and Canadian Islands Awards programs. I have even been know to activate a few islands in the CISA program every now and then. Course having a boat with a vertical and a decent mobile rig would be helpful, but I have to be content with running my rig out of the hatch of my Grand Caravan.

Soooo, how many of my fellow cubbers are also Hams :?: I would be really interested to know, know who you all are and of course your calls and privildges. That way, once my antenna's are back up - hopefully soon, we might be able to have a few QSO's on HF....

ar va e e
de VE9RHS

e e
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:14 am

That's certainly different lingo. I've been around your area in the air, don't guess you're reachable with HF are you? I've thought about HAM radio once my nest empties a little. Right now, wouldn't know where to start.

Wise Owl
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Wise Owl » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:36 pm

Well I am VE9 EL. Basic license. Don't do too much talking on the radio cause, well, the antennas are down and I am too busy COOKING!!! :) :) Besides I am not climbing on our 34 foot above ground roof and I am NOT climbing that 56 foot tower until my brother comes with his 100 foot crane. Then I'll go up in the bucket and fix it with Rudi. :wink: :D Of course, that is still a few weeks off before Rudi is recuperated enough for that.

Emilie

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:48 am

Well Rudi we have already talk about this. So there isn't much else to say except. GET THOSE ANTENNAS BACK ON THE TOWER :lol:

Now as for Em VE9EL, this did surprise me. I am surprised Rudi didn't tell me this before, then again he didn't want his wife talking to a good looking dude like myself, :lol: just kidding :!: BTW Em, I won't go up even in a bucket lift, NO WAY PERIOD:!:

hr's49cub,

Well actually over the past several years it has become a LOT easier for folks to obtain their amateur radio license. Here in the United States they have made new rules up that you don't even need to learn CW (Morse code) any longer. When I was first licensed back in 83 or 84 they required you to learn a 5 wpm and then some theory on radio. This license allowed you to get onto a SMALL part of the band ways to operate code. Then in about 1984-85 they opened up 10 meters for phone (SSB voice operations) 28.300 to 28.500 MHz, (if I remember correctly) When I was first licensed there was five class of licenses. Novice, Technician, General, Advanced and Extra. As you took the took the test and passed you would advance in you license privileges, thus allowed more operating privileges. I stopped at General, I had to pass a 15 wpm code test and more theory. Now they have just have made it real easy to obtain a license and I think they have dropped two of the license classifications. I honestly can't keep up with them any longer.

What Rudi was referring to about 2 meters is 144.000 MHz to 148.000 MHz, very popular for local FM use and with the aid of a repeater, even further. The one thing about HAM radio is there are no limitations, meaning there is something for just about everyone one. I am not much on "Paper Chasing" or Dxing, I like to rag chew, (Bull :censored: ing) and I love the clarity of FM over side band. There are several modes of digital communications too. PSK. Packet, Amtor, WeFax, RTTY the list goes on and even slow and fast scan TV. I've tied just about all of them at one time or another. Then if your really got some money and time to spend, you can get into sattlelite and bouncing you signal off the moon, with extremely small amounts of RF output power. Then you could become a MARS operator, which stands for Military Affiliate Radio System. This is areas on the airways that are set aside just for case of emergency or disaster to provide communications passing traffic to and from people, in many cases it's been because of a ham operator, getting very important information out in life or death situations, where everything else has failed.

Now I have only touched the very tip of the iceberg with all the different modes of Ham radio. I know I was long winded on this, (see why I like rag-chewing?) but I think Rudi and a few others might agree with me here.

You can go to this web site and it will tell you exactly what is involved and show you how to get started. http://www.arrl.org/ just a few evenings you would be well on your way and then you can take your test. Many of the local radio clubs offer these test several times a year, contact the one in your area and ask them, some ever offer a weekly class too.

So back to Rudi's original question,

I am,
John N9GWV, EM49hw, QTH Quincy, IL, US, GMT -6
holding a General class Amateur Radio license and GMRS licensed as WPXA944
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:07 am

Thanks John, that clears it up a little. I have an FCC restricted Radio Operators Permit, but I don't think it's applicable. This doesn't sound like a cheap hobby! :lol:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:50 am

Harold:

Sorry for not posting earlier, but I been kinda busy working on computers - got 2 out of the 6 done :D

Back in 92 when I was forced to retire is when I decided to get active in Ham again. I operated VE8RCS for 6 months in 1977 and became very, very addicted to Phone Patching and DXing. In 1982 when I went to Alert for my second tour, I again was very active with VE8RCS although the phone patches lessened in quantity as we got telephone service via microwave repeaters all the way down Ellesemere Island. DXing became an even larger part of my Ham experience.

BTW, VE8RCS (Candadian Forces Station Alert at the North Pole)and KC4AAA (US Forces Station ast Scott Base Antarctica)were # 2 and #3 respectively amongst the most famous Amateur Radio Stations in the world with the King of Jordan - JY1A being #1. His wife Queen Noor was JY1B and his son the current King of Jordan was JY1C.

In 92, I bought an older Yaesu FT-101 for $250.00 Cdn, a couple co-ax connectors - a bullet type junction and some #12 guage wire and made myself a 40 meter antenna. This could be tuned loosely for 15,20 and 40 meters although the SWR was a little high on 15 and 20 meters, but still useable.

The beauty of Ham Radio is that it IS NOT an expensive hobby. Most everything used to be built (home-brew as it was known) by individual hams and commercial equipment was reserved for the very rich. After the 2nd WW and the explosion of jobs and increased incomes, commercial equipment started to become viable for Joe Everyday Ham.

Even today though, many people still build a lot of their own equipment, although it is specialized and requires some pretty in-depth knowledge on electronic engineering.

I have an on HW-12 80m rig that cost me I thing $20.00 about 15 years ago that will still beat the pants off some of the newer gear and a coat-hanger almost can be tuned to be an effective antenna. Well for 2 meters anyways.

Many area Ham Radio Clubs have a yearly swap shop, usually around the ARRL yearly jamboree I guess you could call it. Here in Canada, we have RAC days in July. All the Ham Clubs set up in a public area, are open to the public and try to make contact with as many Ham Clubs/Ham Ops as possible during a 24 hour period. Anyways, the swap shops usually have gear for sale, much of it very, very reasonable. This is how I got my first radio and subsequent purchases over the years aside from the regular new equipment and used equipment purchases through Radio Dealers and friends who were upgrading.

Much like playing with our Cubs. Parts can come from many places.... and just like Cubs, Hams become adept at finding parts for their very old gear :!: :D :roll: :lol:

So, you do not have to wait till the nest empites to become a Ham. It really is not very expensive unless you get specialized in Moon Bounce, and some of the other esoteric stuff.

John:

Forgot :roll: :oops: :roll: I am also CIW828 - Canadian version of the MARS system and have been since 1993. Phone patches are no longer required, so I am less active. Cell phones and sat comms have sort of spelled the death knell for phone patches, just like politicians and bureaucrats killed CW :roll: :evil: :!: I personally love CW. It was a major component of my Military Occupation Code -- Comm Rsch 291 (intercept operator - hence the spook291 nick). I copy CW at 60 and send at about 30. I failed the morse section on my Ham test in 82 - they were sending at 5, 10 and 15 wpm. All I could hear was E's and T's. Me and about 12 others aside from 1 tech all failed the morse. We had to demand that the RI get faster tapes. He went to the ed dept in OPS and got the 25 and 30 wpm tapes, thought he would beat us -- we all aced it :!: :lol: :lol: The next year or 84, can't remember, but Industry Canada which was the dept that regulated Amateur Radio, made an exception for the Morse test - Any 291er who was field qualified (basic op) could get their ticket without writing the morse portion as the minimum trade qualification was 25wpm which was 10 wpm faster than what was required for Advanced Ops.....

As for not letting you know about Em, well, wanted that to be a surprise. Guess what? Our son Duane is VE9DNS, he is also a basic ham. BTW, they are ALL - initial calls.... neat eh?
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:21 pm

Rudi,

NO I did not relize you were invloved Canada's version of MARS, (I should have figured as much, you being the good patriotic man that you are) but I did indeed know that one existed.

Rudi, one question: Are you a big CW guy or in my terms "Chicken Waste" operator :?: I myself HATED CW and after I got my 13 WPM, (I was thinking it was 15, but that is wrong) I fogot most of it. I have to much trouble with numbers and symbols. I learned it the WRONG way and counted the Di's and Da's, big mistake :!: My father in-law was in the signal corps. in the US Navy in WW2 on an LST ship and I wanted him to try converting what he saw in light to sound, but he never had the desire.

Back in the first Iraq war, I was planning on getting involved, but as I was sending off for the paperwork (before the internet as we know it) The war came to a quick hault. which I was glad there of, because to be a MARS operator you have to be very dedicated, which I'm NOT! Back in that year our first son was born and you all know how much time a newborn takes away from any spare time. :D

Now I never actaully talked to King Hussian, but I did hear him while he was still alive once and a friend did and has a QSL card from him. Some of the famous one that you may know of is Walter Cronkite, Jimmy Stewart, Barry Goldwater, Ronnie Milsap and then one that I have met in person, but never talked to is Gerneal Paul W. Tibbets, (Pilot of "Enola Gay" and his B-29 that dropped the BIG bomb in WW2 and he is also former Quincian too) might be an interest in you too, being a pilot, but General Tibbets isn't active any longer. But there are MANY MANY more famous guy and gals on the airways.

HR, Rudi is right, you can spend as little or as much money as you wish. After 20 years and buying, selling and trading, back and forth. I may have a couple of thousand wrapped up in all. One don't have to get everything all at one time either. I have just built my station up over many many years. BUT it can get expensive too, don't get me wrong. I know folks that have thousands of dollars just wraped up in towers and antennas alone. Just think of it you get a license you could have yourself an aeronautical mobile, EVERYONE wants to make contact with you then :wink:

There are a LOT of resources on the net alone, but better than that, you will find people that will often borrow and/or give you things, just to help out a new ham get started. I have to me and I then have returned the favors to the newbies too.

John
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:21 pm

Rudi from 1957 to 63 I was into that some. Had to learn CW in the Air Guard. Built a 75 watt transmitter and later a modulator for it. My afsc was radio operator for 3 years then radio maintenance. I was into TV repair after that. My dad sold most of the farm to the Guard unit and I sold the rest after he died. I live on what's left. Here is the url to it.
http://www.ncchar.ang.af.mil/263/index263.htm
Young man for work, old man for advice

rvharris3
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rvharris3 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:15 pm

N4LHG here- originally was WB4MWV have a 2 meter rig with mobile antenna and a 10 meter mobile radio-- not too active though-trying to get my Cub back on its tires -wheels off and supposed to get tires(new) next week, courtesy of Firestone and the Titans(football) contest where I won a
$500 Firestone tire credit. Problem in getting the tires shipped but hopefully next week I get them mounted.
1962 Cub Lo-Boy w/Woods Mower-59-C-2
1972 Gravely L-8
1941 John Deere "A" Styled

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:08 am

Thanks Rudi and John. I'm going to research a little more. It's not so much the expense as it is the spare time. My kids do so much extra-curricular stuff, we're always on the go. :lol:

Gary L.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17252
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby Gary L. » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:56 pm

The call here is N3CXC,general class, been ham since 1977 continous but had a novice ticket back in the 60's till it expired. I learned code as a Navy signalman so I always prefered CW. I have been very inactive for the last 5-6 years but have all the rigs ready to go when the interest returns but the antennas need work..I quit smoking back in the early 90's and bought a new Icom 751a with the money I saved on cigarettes....I was active on 30 meters and 2m packet.
Gary L.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:42 pm

Gary:

Now there is an idea :!: When I had the angina attack before going for sextuple by-pass, I too quit smoking. Maybe with the money we save, Em and I can get a mobile HF rig for the Van :!:

I too learned morse in the Navy - Canadian Forces originally, but in 1985 they gave us back our Sea designation. I really enjoy CW a lot!

Ron:

Are you active on 20 or 80 meters?

Alan Riley
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71328

Postby Alan Riley » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:30 pm

Rudi, I heard about your post regarding hams last night on FlashChat from Gary and John. The call here is KD5R and I've been a ham for 43 years now. I seldom get on the air anymore although the TS-850 is sitting here in front of me. I prefer cw dxing when I do get on.

Alan

phantom
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby phantom » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:41 am

VE9RHS DE N9KIN

G M RUDI ES ALL
I WAS A HAM TIL MY TICKET RAN OUT A FEW YEARS AGO. I SPENT MOST OF MY TIME HANDLING THOUSANDS OF MESSAGES ON 80 METER CW TRAFFIC NETS WITH A TENTEC TRITON IV TO A DIPOLE AT 80 FEET. FUN TIME WAS BASKING IN THE GLOW OF THE TUBES OF AN OLD HEATHKIT HW 16 TO A TRIBANDER AT 48 FEET, AND JUST KILLED TIME ON AN 80 METER HOWES KIT RUNNING 2 WATTS THRU THE DIPOLE. EVEN THOUGH I HAD A GENERAL LICENSE I ALMOST NEVER GOT ON PHONE. HOW I LET MY TICKET RUN OUT IS A LOOOOOONG STORY. ANYHOW, I PACKED THE WHOLE KIT AND KABUDLE INTO BOXES AND PUT THEM IN THE SHED, TOOK DOWN THE ANTENNAS AND PUT THEM IN THERE TOO. I TOOK DOWN THE TOWER AND STACKED IT NEATLY IN ANTICIPATION THAT SOME DAY SOMEONE WOULD COME ALONG WITH AN INTEREST IN IT AND SOMETHING TO SWAP. NOT YET, BUT IT DONT EAT SO IT IT ALL STILL OUT THERE. 73 ALL AR DE N9KIN
phantom

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:53 am

phantom wrote: ANYHOW, I PACKED THE WHOLE KIT AND KABUDLE INTO BOXES AND PUT THEM IN THE SHED, TOOK DOWN THE ANTENNAS AND PUT THEM IN THERE TOO. I TOOK DOWN THE TOWER AND STACKED IT NEATLY IN ANTICIPATION THAT SOME DAY SOMEONE WOULD COME ALONG WITH AN INTEREST IN IT AND SOMETHING TO SWAP.

Wish my neighbor would do that. Interferes with my TV reception 1/4 mile away........ Both antena & satelite ! (That's who I blame it on, anyway!)
Ron

Return to “Off Topic”