This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Red Kote

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250
Circle of Safety: Y

Red Kote

Postby Yogie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:26 am

I've been reading this morning about Red Kote, their web site says 1 qt. per 15 gallon tank.
Dave Bennett and I were thinking at least 2 qts in a cub tank.
Anyone used any of this before ?
Is one qt. enough ?
I know a few who have sent their tanks out to have this done but I'd rather do it myself. I have very little rust in the bottom, but after air brushing the underside I see some pin holes coming through. :(
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Re: Red Kote

Postby Bigdog » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:29 am

Yogie- I haven't used Red Kote but I'd pay attention to their directions. I think 1 qt. would be plenty for a cub tank. If you get the stuff on too thick you'll have peeling and adhesion problems.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62253

Postby Pony Master » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:44 am

I've used Red Kote, and it has worked out really well. Some of you may remember the day that Kelley scared me to death brazing the fuel tank on my 54 Cub. We really had to do some patching on it as it looked like it had been crushed and ripped open at some point. After Kelley's brazing, and some work at the body shop I decided that I wanted a little extra insurance that I wasn't going to have a leak. I went and got a qt. of Red Kote from the local parts store. I followed the directions and when I poured out the excess, there was 1/2 quart back in the can. I waited the recommended time and then put in a second coat (just for my own piece of mind, I don't think it was really necessary). That pretty well finished off the quart. If you use it, be sure to let it dry an extra long time. The longer the better. The gas turned red in the sediment bowl a few times, but I did this in May of last year, and it has had the tank filled up several times with out a leak. I was pleased enough with it, that there is a second qt. in the basement just in case.
1947 Circle Cub, 193, 189
1954 Cub w/FH, IH100, 194, F11
1956 Cub Loboy w/FH and 194
1960 Cub Loboy w/FH and L-54
1953 Super A, 2 seater B, Avery V, Avery A, JD M, MH Pony, Leader D, Allis Chalmers C, and my Great Grandpa's ZA Minneapolis Moline.

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:34 am

I have used the POR 15 gas tank treatment product - seemed to work well but have not had it in use long enuf to know how it w/hold up. At least no plugged gas filters yet! Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:48 am

One Qt. will be enough, Yogie. As Chad said, about half of it will be poured back out and you can do as he did with a second coat. (a peace of mind thing) And yes, it does take a long time to thoroughly cure. Set it outside in the warm sun every chance you get, cap off of course.

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:03 am

Yogie
i used red cote in the tank on Blackie about 8 years ago and there is no problems to date.
and have used it several times on other cubs i no longer have .

I don't remember the correct instructions off the can.
but
I know how i do it and it works .
make sure there is NO moisture in it i use MEK Laq. thinner to evaporate any moisture from the water washing.
I also use the MEK to cut the red cote so it is thin enough to be able to rotate the tank and get a good coating all over the inside the MEK also helps in the drying aqnd curing .
let it dry a week in the warm hot sun then recoat a second time let it cure a couple weeks before you put gas in it .
you will want to do the rd coating before you do any painting onthe tank as it can e a messy job.
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:07 am

I have been restoring antique motorcycles for years as well as tractors, with some of the modern gas i have found the red kote does not hold up, por 15 has always sealed, fixed all problems and holds up for ever to date, in the motorcycle world we pre seal every tank with it even if it does not have a problem or if it is new, it costs to much in time and labor to go back and start over again
Tim

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:41 am

:shock: WOW
Thanks to everyone... This is the tank on Gray Cub's project tractor and it will be a good 8 weeks before it's used so the waiting time is no problem. I'll call around tomorrow and see what I can find.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Russ Leggitt
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 38655
Tractors Owned: [18] CUBs from 1947 thru 1974; "B" Farmall, [2] John Deere MTs; Ford 600; Ford 4000; and a 1956 IHC S112 Pickup [CUB Hauler]

Postby Russ Leggitt » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:36 pm

I can't answer your question about the "Red Coat" tank sealer. However, I do have some experience with the POR15 tank sealer. I have done two. Both times I followed their instructions to the letter and made sure they were dry. I have had no problems with them in the past five years. I can't remember the exact amount for each tank but it was whatever they recommended and had some to drain out onto the ground. It stayed intact with dirt on it for four years and I still had to scrape the sand off it. With POR15 you CAN NOT put it back into the can and use for a second coat later. However, if done according to the instructions there will not be a need for a second coat. Just my experience.

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:53 am

i cant answer to the how to, but can answer to the red kote, all my demos have it done, $50, i get the tanks boiled in muratic acid and coated. Just wish i didnt have to drive an hour to get there.

*edit* forgot to say, several years into to it, no problems on any of my tanks, gas is crstal clean coming out. Highly recommend this process on all tanks.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:03 am

I put Red-Kote in two tractor fuel tanks 5 or 6 years ago - no problem.

Make sure the inside of the tank is as clean as possible and DRY - Bone dry before before putting in the Red-Kote.

You need to let the Red-Kote cure. The cure may take several days depending on temperature and humidity. If you can smell the Red-Kote - not cured yet. Biggest thing is to fully cure the Red-Kote before putting fuel in the tank.

I used a shop vac on exhaust to dry the tanks and to speed up the cure time.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:48 am

I've used liquid steel for most gas tank repairs. If you have holes i would use a filler first like liquid steel then red kote it on the inside to be sure its fixed. But not all of these products like our new modern gas too. How about taking it to a radiator shop were they can sink it in the test tank and braze it or put a steel patch and braze that into place.

With using liquid steel i just sand down the area to bare metal and apply it.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Farmall Cub”