This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Got ash!!!

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Got ash!!!

Postby cowboy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:44 pm

Finally got over to the neighbors today and cut down a tree for him. His saw wasn't big enough. And it was near the house so to be safe I cut and wedged it then pushed it over with the tractor. He gave me the trunk for cutting it down for him. I was fun to fire up the 2186 with the 32 inch bar. Even the cattle fence in the tree did not slow it down!

Its a little bigger than I though before I lifted it!
I had to lift it off center because of all the branches in the way. When I lifted it the left rear wheel came up over a 18 inches. And I had some pucker factor going on there. I need to get the rear tires loaded!!

Its a hard to see what you are doing through the window. And using a 90 hp tractor is a little over kill for loading logs. But its better that than my back!

One nice thing about using the big tractor. Was that I could run the chain on the tongs longer. And cut slabs off of both sides of the log to make it light enough to handle by hand before unhooking it.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Got ash!!!

Postby Barnyard » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:01 pm

Good job Billy. That trunk will keep you warm for a while next winter. Helping the neighbors is not only a kind gesture but sometimes you get a little bonus. My neighbors usually give me a new pair of gloves. I guess that's better than a tie or underwear.

I just came in from cleaning out one of the horse stalls. It was full of fire wood the PO had put there years ago. I put it out on the firewood pile with the others and opened up a spot for another Cub. Hmmm...lessee here...somebody just posted a non running 1950 Cub for sale...
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:16 pm

Thanks Bill

I am lucky to have good neighbors here. I did have two of his beers with him after it was down. I will probably use some of it to finish up this year as I am about out of wood now. But thats the good thing about ash it doesn't have much water in it.

Cool Bill its amazing how fast the inside room disappears :!: I need to get my cub inside and work on the trans I think the pto busing is gone and one of the bearings is about done too. I have to leave the pto engaged or it grinds bad.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:39 pm

If you don't get to that bushing we can make it a project at the Bash if you are able to make it.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:31 am

Hey Bill I like the way you are using the tongs. Looks like the way I use them too with my 1050. Sure makes it easy with the long chain to handle big stuff with out straining your gut. Got some bad news today. As you know I had planned a trip west again this year. Bev is having so much trouble with an adverse reaction to the eye drops after her cataract operation I am afraid to leave her alone. First things first. Momma is the top of the list so i guess it will be next year before i get your way again. Instead of me visiting our oldest girl in Minneapolis, she is flying in to see Bev.
Good thing it is ash for you can burn that green with no problem.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:26 am

Thanks Bill

I am going to try to make it to the bash :{_}: I might bring the trans with me. I want to pull it down and replace all the bearings with sealed bearings. I need a new though out bearing, check the clutch and give everything a good going through. I use that cub 2-4 times a week and I need to get it back in good shape.

Hi Bill

Sorry to hear that about Bev. Tell her I said hi and give her my best wishes. Family always comes first! I always look forward to seeing you whenever I can. Financially things look tight again this year. But ya never know maybe I can make it out that way this year.

Billy

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:34 am

WOW. I also use forks to move around logs. Thats what i used to dump them 40 trees in front of my barn i am feverlessly trying to get cut and split before docfest. thought i would have it done by now. power company came in and added another 12 trees to it a month ago. :( Getting slowly but surely. But all three of my saws are down now. I got two that are the same i cannablized one to keep one going. but now it needs parts, so its off for parts friday on that one. one needs carb redone, and one is self tightening (new saw i just got). I definetly know that pucker factor, some of them trees i moved i could lift em an inch or two off the ground, otherwise my rear was in the air. i still got 3 chunks i couldnt move over to the staging area, cause they did lift the back end clear off the ground. two are walnut, only 3-4 ft long. man thats a dense wood. yes i am burning walnut, even oak. the other is ash. but its about 7 ft.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:25 am

Oh yea John it sure does get your attention fast :!: I would like to get a set of forks but it is not in the budget right now. Hope you get your saws up and running. So are you going to have everyone bring their saw and have a wood cutting competition this year :?:

Billy

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:47 am

When I first saw this thread, I thought, yup, Cowboy is making an ASH out of himself again. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:25 am

Cowboy wrote:Oh yea John it sure does get your attention fast :!: I would like to get a set of forks but it is not in the budget right now. Hope you get your saws up and running. So are you going to have everyone bring their saw and have a wood cutting competition this year :?:

Billy

got my forks off ebay $400 delivered from northern indiana. guy is running two shifts of making them and a couple other things. they are heavy duty, screw on type. love em. grew up with strap on type. but these are easier i think.

Dont ferget that load of timber you are gonna bring me. :)

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:29 am

John I make a ash out of myself all the time its nothing new :{_}:

Hey Doc

I got a good pile of logs ready to be sawn up. I need to get the woodmizer to my barn and figure out how to use it.

Billy

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:21 am

have you seen them attachments for chainsaws on ebay to saw logs into boards. wonder how good those work?

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:53 am

They are very slow compared to a band saw mill. But are ok for doing little projects. The do a surprisingly good job. A lot of guys that have them look for unique wood grain patterns and make a lot of specialty projects like you do. Although some cut just for lumber and I have seen some used to make log cabins. The neatest I saw was a guy that pushed over trees washed all the dirt out he could and sawed through the trunk into the root zone. Which had really wild grain pattern.

If you want to learn more check out this link. You need to join to see most of the pictures. And the guys on the chainsaw form are very sharp too.

http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62 Arborist site : Milling and saw mills

Billy

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:01 am

Cowboy wrote:And the guys on the chainsaw form are very sharp too.

I bet that pun was intended! :lol:

Circle of Safety

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:16 am

Nope Bill never even thought about it.

Billy

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”