This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Packing

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Packing

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:58 pm

Cub Cadet, sediment bowl shut off valve packing. I can't find o-rings or packing small enough for the shut off valve. Any ideas short of purchasing another sediment bowl?

Eugene

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:03 pm

Never tried it on the Cadets, but on our Hs we used to used cotton string for replacement if we couldn't find the correct material.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:14 pm

It was originally leather, but 1/8" "O" rings work very well. I had some that came from a Farm & Fleet store before they closed in this area, and have now been using some that came from the plumbing section of Lowes or Home Depot. I bought a small plastic box with 25-50 or some amount in it. I don't know what they are made out of, but so far gasoline doesn't seem to affect them. Remove the old leather packing from the stem and be sure there is none left in the housing, and then I use two of the "0" rings. Have some that have been installed over a year with no problems.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Question

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:33 pm

I have a supply of o-rings down to 1/8 inch. The center of the shut off valve is .100 inch - leaving small gap .025 inch. The main stem diameter is about 1/8 inch - didn't measure. I'll give two of the 1/8 o-rings a try.

Tried the several auto parts stores in the area - no luck.

Thanks.

Eugen

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:02 pm

I needed packing on my cub and used plumbers lamp wick. It comes in a ball and has many strands. I took about 6 strands wound it around and around pushed it in as best i could and tightened the nut and fixed. The string idea is the same thing.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:57 pm

I don't know if this applies to the Cadet, and it does not to many of the Cub replacement bowls, but the original Cub sediment bowls had a backseating valve. If you didn't open them all the way, they would leak.

Return to “Cub Cadet”