Fri May 21, 2010 8:08 pm
Changed out leaky head gasket , Old head bolts looked a little ify, Cut down new grade 8 bolts, Ready to install new gasket & bolts What thread sealer should I use on the bolts? & how much to use & how to apply? Thanks Dave F.
Fri May 21, 2010 8:12 pm
Any of the non-harding gasket makers. Depending on paste or liquid just wipe or smear on the bolt coating the threads.
I use Permatex non-harding gasket cement. It's a liquid with brush. I use the brush to coat the threads.
Sat May 22, 2010 8:43 am
in addition to Eugene's post, be sure to use a spray coppercoat on the head gasket and chase the threads for the head bolts.
cut the heads off two of your old long head bolts and install them as guides in the short locations of the block. then the head gasket and the head will not slide around on installation.
Sun May 23, 2010 8:18 pm
Hi , can some one please tell me how to post questions , i'm tring here because i can not seem to access other arears .and would love to start chating with every one thanks for the help CUB59
Sun May 23, 2010 8:55 pm
CUB59 wrote:Hi , can some one please tell me how to post questions , i'm tring here because i can not seem to access other arears .and would love to start chating with every one thanks for the help CUB59
Check your PM inbox
Sun May 23, 2010 8:59 pm
Dave, as stated it is important to run a tap through the threads in the block. I have found that non hardening permatex will actually harden from the heat over time making it difficult to get the bolts out if you should have to do so. I have found that most of the time thread sealer isnt needed but in the few cases where I had to seal the threads I used GE sillicone 2 clear. It will stand up to the heat plus you wont have trouble getting the bolts back out if you need to do so.
Sun May 23, 2010 8:59 pm
To add to Eugene and to Art's excellent it is going into the Cub Tip Of The Week Thread post, I remember reading somewhere that after 10 hours of run time to retorque the head bolts. I didn't do that the first time - forgot. That led to the second head gasket project. Did that, but for some reason started leaking abign and then eventually the head cracked leading to the 4th or 5th head gasket project. Now, after retorquing after 10 hours, it has been almost a year or so and Ellie is doing fine. No cracks, no leaks nada. I used C5A a Loctite product on my headbolts - a copper paste. Almost like neverseize I guess. Worked real well. I also used High Tack on the head gasket. Worked well. I now use High Tack on all the gaskets so far.
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
phpBB Mobile / SEO by Artodia.