This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IHC Corn Grinder

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

IHC Corn Grinder

Postby Arizona Mike » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:42 pm

I'm over at a friends. He has on old IHC corn grinder that I would like to buy from him and he wants to let go of. Can you help us with a fair price. I will describe best I can. Maybe i can get a picture a little later. It stands about 3.5 ' tall and its about 2' wide and about 10 " thick with a flywheel that's about 2' in diameter The grinder is in a wood case that is in fair condition. On one side it has the old syle IHC round logo stamped and pained...about 3" diameter/ On the same side there is a decal that says "Keystone (i think)...Harvest Equipment" and "Grain Equipment". Has a small wood shute. All gears work good. One of the end pieces is half gone but could be cut from a piece of pine. Has some of the original red paint left. Thanks.
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:15 pm

I have no idea mike but i bet pine is not the answer for the wood unless it ispruce or long leaf yellow pine. Others are too soft I think.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:19 pm

Mike, is it a grinder or a sheller?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:01 pm

Bigdog wrote:Mike, is it a grinder or a sheller?

Sounds like a sheller to me too. I'll bet it has a hand crank too.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

Postby Arizona Mike » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:20 pm

Here are some pictures. I guess it is a sheller. Are these collectable. I like it but have no idea what it is worth??

Thanks

Mike

"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:37 pm

Mike
Corn shellers are very collectable, and depending on the brand and condition, I have seen them sell for $50 and up, with better one's in the $100-200 or more range for the "single hole" models. Like anything else, the area or location will have a bearing on the value. That appears to be a Keystone machine (IH bought The Keystone Co. in 1904), maybe an XL model, that IH built until 1926. There were 1 hole and 2 hole hand cranked models built, and larger 3-6 hole shellers powered by portable engines. You can find some information about them and other IH stuff in C.H. Wendel's book, 150 Years of International Harvester.

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Arizona Mike » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:11 pm

Thanks to all.

Paul B, would you venture what a fair price would be to pay for one in this condition? The missing wood side piece is there just not attached. I would like to restore the wood cabinet and make it work smooth again. It won't last too much longer sitting where its at now.

Also wondering about what the original paint color might have been on the wheel, loading shoot on top, crank handle etc ?? Looks like the cabinet was red w/ black trim.

Thanks again.
George Willer

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:55 pm

Mike, with the missing wood, were I buying it, I would not offer over $50-60, but it is really depends on what you are willing to pay and he is willing to accept. From looking at the flywheel and chain pulley, it would appear the cast pieces were originally black or a "japanned" finish similar to that found on old hand tools. I don't know that I have ever seen an IH wooden sheller restored to an actual original condition, but most I have seen have the cast parts painted black. Most you find are just like that one and have a "rust" finish which makes me think they may had a japanned finish rather than painted, but that is just a guess on my part. My dictionary defines "japan" as a "black enamel or lacquer of a type originating in the Orient, used to produce a durable glossy finish". Japanned is defined as "relating to or varnished with japan". The original finish/paint/decals adds to the desirability of items like this.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:26 pm

Mike what they mean by a sheller it that you feed in dried ears of corn andwith a turn of the crank you have kernals out the bottom and the ears with out the corn out else where. You feed the chickens the corn usually after it is cracked or crushed and can feed the ears to cows or horses. The cobs have nearly the same nutritional value as the kernals on a weight for weight basis. Of course it took quite a few cobs to weigh as much as a bushel of corn.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:48 pm

I can see from your first picture that the drive belt is missing. When you negotiate with the current owner, be sure to go on endlessly about not knowing where you will find a rubber belt with a round cross section.

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Arizona Mike » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:10 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks Jim..

Do you know what the original belt would have been like. Looked like a belt would ride in between those sprocket things. The bottom pully is standard for V belt.
George Willer

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:51 pm

Mike,

I expect the blower belt was leather with a round cross section. It will shell corn without it, but the corn will contain "fish scales".
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:46 am

Mike
There is an example of a "2 hole" sheller on eBay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 33371&rd=1
although there is no brand name on it. Also not much action, but these thing are heavy and hard/expensive to ship.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Corn sheller belt

Postby Eugene » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:47 pm

I, also, believe the belt was a round leather belt with a staple type splice. Best I can recall.

Eugene

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”