This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine to Transmission Alignment

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Engine to Transmission Alignment

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:07 am

I think I have my engine and transmission somewhat misaligned on the 184. The driveshaft does not seem to line up well (about 1/4" off). Does anyone have a picture on where the spacers should be placed on the front transmission mounts? I either need to lower the front of the transmission or raise the rear of the engine.

Is there anywhere that allows for alignment adjustments?
Thanks,
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

b52c130
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07869

Re: Engine to Transmission Alignment

Postby b52c130 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:06 am

Outdoors,
First, I would have someone hold the clutch pedal full depressed so as to release the clutch disk while you try to align the rear of the drive shaft to the transmission input shaft.
If that doesn't work, then I would loosen the frame rail to transmission bolts on both sides, plus the front transmission bolts, a couple of full turns. Then, I would put the transmission into first gear and "rock" the rear wheels until the drive shaft and transmission input shaft are in alignment.
Let us know how you make out, NJDale

b52c130
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby b52c130 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:36 am

Or possibly, the problem might be wear in the pilot bearing which is allowing the weight of the rear of the disconnected drive shaft to 'push up' the slop in the pilot bearing which in turn would let the rear of the shaft sag down.
I would think that since the drive shaft is supported in the front by the ball bearing pilot bearing and in the rear by the universal joint bearing - the two kind of go 'hand in hand' and if one is worn out, the the other one might also be on it's way out as well.
If either one or both of these bearings are shot - I would tend to think that it would lead to the dreaded worn drive shaft spline syndrome.
NJDale

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:04 pm

Thanks for the advice NJDale,
I have been trying to get this straightened out since April. The Pilot Bearing, Clutch, Pressure Plate, Throwout Bearing, Driveshaft, and U-Joint are all new components purchased from local IH dealer. I didn't want to risk things not going together well on a cheap knockoff or a used part.
I am REALLY frustrated with this. :evil:

The system is easy to work on and goes together well, the only indication of an issue is that the driveshaft won't quit turning when in neutral with the clutch in. As I put it together each time, I notice that I have to pick up the driveshaft a little when I am connecting the U-Joint coupler to the creeper. I have tried to "wear it in" and to leave things loose and let them "find their home" but to no avail. I am really just down to the alignment as my guess.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

b52c130
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby b52c130 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:46 pm

Outdoors,
I think that I would remove the "yoke" from the throwout bearing. Then loosen the 6 bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel - evenly, a half turn or so at a time until they are all backed out 2 to 3 turns or what ever is required to "release" the clutch disk to move around. I would then align the driveshaft/ u-joint to the creeper input shaft.
After everything is aligned - then I would reverse the procedure to evenly tighten down the pressure plate.
I don't know if that will solve the alignment problem or not - but, it is a starting point.
If that doesn't do it - then I think that I would try loosening the transmission to frame and rock the transaxle to a different position within the bolt holes.
Let me know how it goes, NJDale

b52c130
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby b52c130 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:28 am

Outdoors,
Another idea, Did you resurface the flywheel? If not - maybe the new disk is slightly different that the old disk and is "hanging up" on the flywheel. If you have to go into that far, maybe just an "at home" resurfacing with a 3" or 4" belt sander will do - of course, the ultimate would be to send it out to a machine shop and have it cut perfectly level, like new.
Just another thought - NJDale

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”