Using Rain Cap Substitutes!

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.

Using Rain Cap Substitutes!

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:50 pm

Many folks have exhausts with no rain cap. To remedy this we just put a bean can over the pipe until we use the Cub again. You can also use an empty can from corn, peas, carrots etc depending on what is available, but this is not a "How To" so we won't go into that. :) . I am one of these people. With a rainstorm on the horizon last night and no bean, or other, can handy I grabbed a breather cap. Actually, since these are vented they don’t pop off when you start the Cub like a can does.

Today while working the Cub I realized I had forgotten to remove the cover from the pipe. Holy hot cakes Batman, that dude gets hot! :shock: So after pouring an ice cold adult beverage over my fingers on the way to the house to cool them down, Rosie finally got to use her Aloe plant for the first time this season.

Always remember to remove that cover, no matter what it is, BEFORE you have run the Cub for an hour.

I’m stopping for some new rain caps on the way home tomorrow!
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Barnyard Bash CubFest May 30th - May 31st, 2014
Click here for info http://www.barnyardbash.com
http://www.Savethecub.com
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Using Rain Cap Substitutes!

Postby Cecil » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:39 pm

Bill the next time you need to use a can use a larger one. That way the exhaust will take it off for you. :lol: Sorry you burned your fingers. I'll get you an adult beverage in July to make you feel better.
Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Zip Code: 12184
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety Award

Postby Barnyard » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:25 am

Cecil wrote:Bill the next time you need to use a can use a larger one. That way the exhaust will take it off for you. :lol: Sorry you burned your fingers. I'll get you an adult beverage in July to make you feel better.

The smaller cans usually pop off pretty good. Those breather caps are another story. I'll take you up on the beverage as long as I don't have to grab a hot exhaust to get it. :lol:

Barney (Sore, but no blisters yet) Ard
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Barnyard Bash CubFest May 30th - May 31st, 2014
Click here for info http://www.barnyardbash.com
http://www.Savethecub.com
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety Award

Postby Mr E » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:44 am

Barnyard wrote:
Cecil wrote:Bill the next time you need to use a can use a larger one. That way the exhaust will take it off for you. :lol: Sorry you burned your fingers. I'll get you an adult beverage in July to make you feel better.

The smaller cans usually pop off pretty good. Those breather caps are another story. I'll take you up on the beverage as long as I don't have to grab a hot exhaust to get it. :lol:

Barney (Sore, but no blisters yet) Ard

Wow, Bill. The exhaust from you cub is HOT :!: :!: :lol: Who would have thunk it. :{_}: :{_}:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest
February 13 & 14, 2015
Mr E
501 Club
501 Club

Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460
Circle of Safety Award

Postby Harold R » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:58 am

Tomato paste cans work great, and they fit in the cub tool box under the seat. :P
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 71058
Tractors Owned: 1948,50,53, and 56 Farmall Cubs
1969 International Cub
Circle of Safety Award

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:18 am

They say little people learn the stove is hot by burning their fingers... I would say someone missed that valuable lesson, but when the rear disk brake was putting out a stink I reached in an touched the rotor.... Yep hot!

I would swap the exhaust for an underslung one and you will never have that problem. Won't get caught in the loop in the hanging drop light either.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Zip Code: 02840

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:04 am

as an emergency substitute for a rain cap at a show, etc. the plastic water bottles that are always in the trash cans work good. cut the end off so the opening is a slightly snug fit on the pipe to keep the wind form blowing them off, and if you do forget to remove them they are so light that they will not hurt anyone when they come back down.

One word of caution, think about what you are using. The PO covered EJ's stack with a frozen orange juice can. The ends are metal, but the sides are coated paper, and they do not last long in the weather. The ultimate result was this when the can deteriorated and fell off.

Rain got in the engine, rusted the pistons in place and damaged the head beyond repair. the owners got a divorce and it was left setting with the head off and tires robbed for another tractor, etc.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Return to Safety Forum