This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New to Farmall

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
Mark_H
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03060

New to Farmall

Postby Mark_H » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:48 pm

Hello everyone,
I know very little about Farmall othan than a friend restored one years ago.
That friend has now passed away and his wife has asked me to handle finding it a new home.
I figured if I posted a few pictures here someone could tell me more about it.

To Thine Own Self Be True 12-10-88

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New to Farmall

Postby dgrapes59 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:16 pm

Mark,

Welcome to the forum, sorry for the circumstances.

By the serial # (127549) it would be a '51 model year. It appears to be in decent shape and has a lot of implements as well. You will get a range of estimates on the value, but a little more would be need to be known to help further (does it run, how good, gears work, any cracks or welds, etc.). There are members in your area and I am sure they will chime in with a little more "local" information.

Good luck,
David

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:20 pm

Hey good to meet you.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

johnny j
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20711
Tractors Owned: 1948 FARMALL CUB #34846

Postby johnny j » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:31 pm

Nice to meet you mark welcome to the forum :)

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:01 pm

Paul Soucy is looking for a tractor and he is in the Milford area if i remember correctly. The harrow does not look like a Cub harrow but the mower is. Tractors have been soft in price lately- figure $1,000-$1500 for a tractor and $200 per implement if the are complete and in working condition. I'll pass the word on to paul.

paulsouc
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03087
Tractors Owned: At Present - Sadly No Cub
JD Model LA

Postby paulsouc » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:47 pm

Bob ---

Thanks for the lead.

Mark,

I will send you an email.

Paul

Mark_H
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mark_H » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:22 pm

Thank you all for the welcomes and the info.

I know that the tractor was fully restored to it's original condition and then used more as a novelty than a workhorse.
The man who restored her was both a machinist and a perfectionist so I am fairly certain it was a job well done.
It has sat idle for at least 5 years and I have not tried to get it started.

I am going down this weekend to do some things around the house for his wife and will take a closer look at everything.
At the very least I will clear away the leaves so I can get clearer pictures to share here.

Thanks again

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:45 am

The set of disc's is a 10A. A cub will pull it fine. It is in great shape from the looks. It should sell for at least $300-400.

The 22 sickle mower looks to be all there. If the 4" pulley is there(probably still on the tractor) as nice as it looks, with the belt guard, it should sell for at least $250-350 or more.

The 54 grader blade also looks real good. It is set up on front, but can be mid mounted for grading. A minimum of $250 for that, up to $350 in that condition.

Your cub also has front and rear wheel weights. The front weights alone are selling for $100-$125 for the pair, and the rears for about $100. But they should stay with the tractor. They just increase the Cub's value.

It has sat long enough, we can't tell if the tires are holding air. The fronts look good, and fairly new. The right rear, and probably both will need replaced. Good used tires are plentifull and not real expensive.

The seat still has the silver canvas, a plus. The tin looks realy straight as does the grille(really nice). Also the tie rods are extended and perfectly straight.

This is a nice cub. If it starts and runs good, it should sell by itself for about $1500. If the motor is stuck, about $1000.

If you sell it as a package, it looks like this

$1000-$1500 for the tractor
$300 for the mower
$350-$400 for the disc
$300 for the plow

Not running = $2000 for the package
Running = $2500 for the package
http://www.farmallcub.info/galleries/ci ... Harrow.asp

I think the prices are fair and in line, but are subject to regional and economic conditions.

Dale

You should post it for sale in our For sale forum. As the owner/representative, and a member of this site, that would be the appropriate place to put it.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:02 am

I guess this illustrates that you can't appraise a tractor from a few pictures.

The tractor: The tires look like they have settled into the earth. The rims may be rusted beyond use, which would require remounting all the tires. Will any of the tires be worth remounting? There is no cover on the exhaust. Has it beed sitting uncovered? for how much of the 5 years? The engine may be beyond salvage. Price a replacement engine to see how much this can change the value.

The mower: I don't see the drag bar and bracket. They are frequently missing. Probably around there somewhere but it needs to be with the mower. Mower value varies greatly with the condition of the cutter bar, not to mention large missing pieces.

I know you originally asked for information and not a price. The replies here have provided most of what can be gleaned from the pictures. The price suggestions are exactly that, at best suggestions. Keep in mind that if it is priced too high, people will come look at it then walk away. Three years later it will still be there, sinking deeper into the earth. You won't be doing anyone a favor.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:02 am

First, I wish you were doing this under better circumstances. Estate is not a great thing to have to deal with. It also affects how we may look at it. Have to feel for the family.. but also have to balance with an objective view. So, I gotta agree with Jim on this one. This is a good example why pricing on a pic can be difficult. Pictures are useful for a guesstimate, that is all it is - a guesstimate. I also saw a few pluses and a few negatives. The value for this Cub will not be on the high end I don't believe because of where it sits, how long it has been sitting and because most likely the engine is probably stuck.

Negatives:

No rain cap -- possibly stuck engine. No telling how much damage. But it will be there. The Cub is sinking into the ground so you can at least expect some wet rot on the tires.. they may be salvageable or even ok. Rims may also have some rust. Depending on how bad depends on whether they can be salvaged. Weights and rear centers will probably be ok. Seat -- has some canvas remaining. Might have rust/water accumulation/wet rot in the seat/material. Cub-22 - missing the drag bar and bracket reduces the value. The cutter bar will affect it as well. It will need a new pitman stick as well. Battery box appears missing. Cub-54 blade cutting edge will probably need replacement.

Positives:

Tins look good. Weights all around. Touch Control. Cub-54 in reasonable shape. Lighting package and the disc harrow. Drawbar.

Overall:

All in all based on just what I see this will probably be simply at the best a $1,500.00 Cub as what I see does not leave me to believe that it is a high end Cub - provided the engine isn't stuck and tires are not finished. If the engine is stuck then this becomes a parts Cub with a couple implements -- probably $750.00 - $900.00 for the lot. A replacement engine is not cheap and a rebuild is not either especially for machine shop work and parts. The same goes for the implements... missing pieces reduces the value to lower end. The blade if the cutting edge is gone will reduce the price by about $100.00 which is about what it costs to replace the cutting edge. I also would be looking at the right side of the bolster where the serial tag is.. something doesn't look quite right but can't put a finger on it. Might simply be me eyes.. :roll:

The fact that it may have been a meticulous restoration by someone of skill and a bit of a perfectionist will be mitigated by the years of exterior storage without adequate protection. A simple rain cap or even a tomato can stuck on top of the exhaust could have prevented any possible infiltration of water into the engine. Let us hope that the engine turns over. If you have a hand crank, see what happens when you try to turn it over. If no hand crank see if you can turn the fan. If it turns at all there is hope, if it turns somewhat easily.. there is even more hope for a good engine. Report back what you find. More pictures -- update with the Cub moved so we can see the rest of the tires etc., will be helpful.

The upside is that this Cub is probably a good project candidate given the previous caveats.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:49 am

Quick word of caution, if the motor does turn over (by moving fan or hand crank) don't attempt to start it without priming the oil pump. (assuming you would change/check fluid levels first as well)

Good luck,
David

Mark_H
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mark_H » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:17 pm

Good news! I was able to turn it over with the hand crank. It was tough at first but it got easier:) As it turns out the exaust was covered for at least part of the time the tractor sat idle. When I raked the leaves out of the way I found a can that was obviously there for that reason.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:18 am

Mark:

Well that is some good news. Glad the engine turns over. The blade cutting edge looks good, and the mower looks in good shape as well. You might want to look around for other stuff that may be kinda hidden. You might also want to see if there are some plows for the Cub as well. I see that there are indications that a Cub-189 Moldboard Plow may be part of his collection as evidenced by the latch bar visible in the 3rd photo.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Mark_H
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mark_H » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:36 pm

You are good Rudi. Do you know tomorrows winning lottery numbers too?
I was there today and hiding under some leaves and the fender of a 39 Ford was the plow. I took a picture and will add it to the for sale post later in the day.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:38 pm

Mark_H wrote:You are good Rudi. Do you know tomorrows winning lottery numbers too?

I try to please Mark. :roll: :lol: And yup.. I have the winning numbers for the Lotto Max and Max Millions draws up here this week that will be in the range of $105,000,000.00 tax free :!: :D $50,000,000 for Lotto Max and 55 $1,000,000 draws to boot. Biggest lotto in history for us up here.. :D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”