This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO just quits - Update

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

PTO just quits - Update

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:44 am

On my CC1282 the PTO just stops........I think it's getting too hot. After the engine cools down it will reingage. Can I take it off and clean it or will it have to be replaced? Where is the best place to buy it?

I replaced the field assembly and it's working like new again! Thanks Paul and Eugene :)
Last edited by Ken (48 Cub) on Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Re: PTO just quits

Postby Paul B » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:55 pm

Ken,
It could be the PTO coil is breaking down or shorting, and it could also be the PTO switch. Check the wire connector and terminals on the switch and while your at it, check the ones on the ignition switch. They rust and or break, and the terminal insulation also tends to melt. Also check the wiring, there is a connector/disconnect up close the front of the engine to unplug the wire for engine removal. Try checking for voltage or continuity (sp) at the switch when it quits.

Don't know the best place to get one, but before I quit using ebay there were people on there selling new ones for less that what they are at the dealers. Don't know if they still are or not.

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:36 pm

Thanks Paul, I have removed the entire PTO from the engine, that was a job. It made pulling the front pully off a Cub look easy :) Anyways, it is covered in oil and grease (oil seal leaking, that's another post). There looks like a lot of wear on the preasure plate so I think I will replace the entire unit.......but I don't know what to buy? I see no part number on it anywhere and the owners/service/parts manuals don't mention the PTO at all. Can anyone give me a part number or a place to start. Thanks.
Ken, Annie the '48.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Ken, the PTO is a Warner, Cub Cadet part number is 717-3044 for the assembly, pricey at $306.82, but if you determine that is the problem and what part may be bad, the parts are available individually. The Field assembly is available (IH-223413 C1, $121.01), the rotor is available (IH-223408 C1, $107.36) and the Armature is available (759 3304, $157.09). You can go to the Carter & Gruenwald site, http://www.cngcoinc.com/home.asp , and click on "Shop on Line", then on "Parts Lookup" (make sure it is for Cub Cadets), then on Garden Tractors, then on the model number of the tractor, and it will bring up a menu of assemblys for that tractor on the right side of your screen, click on assembly that has what you are looking for. and it will bring up the parts break down for that assembly. When you find the part you are looking for, click on "add to cart" and it will tell you if it's available and the price. You then have the option to buy it on line or cancel it. I have found on most parts, Jacobi will be a little bit cheaper than the price given. You can also order direct from Ken Updike at Garter & Greunwald, (608) 455 2411

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:17 pm

Thanks Paul, you da man :)
Ken, Annie the '48.

Return to “Cub Cadet”