This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

K341 16 hp Kohler engine.

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

K341 16 hp Kohler engine.

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:43 pm

Will the K341 engine fit in a narrow framed Cadet?

I salvaged one about a year ago. It's in excellent condition.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Re: K341 16 hp Kohler engine.

Postby JimT » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:15 am

I think it would depend on which model you have. I just bought a 147 and it has a 14 hp in it, which I think is the same physical size as the 16 hp. Notice in the photos that the frame has been altered by the factory to accommodate the 14 hp.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:28 am

These 147's used the starter/generator's so the knotch in the pic is ok. I believe the geared flywheels/starters need even more width in the frame too. My point is it matters if we use a s/g or geared setup too.

They knotch out the frame and leave very little vertical part of the frame as being structural sound. If i was going to design a cut out like this I would put a "U" shape gusset around that area. Thats been my plan if i ever knotched the frame for a larger engine.

I find it neat to actually see how the frames evolved thru the years when they went from the narrow frames to the wide frames. Even after with the wide frames the front frame rails got even higher.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:38 am

If it has a starter/generator, not without either frame modifications or or replacing the bearing plate, flywheel, and housing, with the smaller like parts from a 10 or 12 hp engine. If it is a AQS engine with the ring gear starter, the frame will have to be modified.

Merk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Merk » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:21 pm

by big bill
These 147's used the starter/generator's so the knotch in the pic is ok. I believe the geared flywheels/starters need even more width in the frame too. My point is it matters if we use a s/g or geared setup too.

They knotch out the frame and leave very little vertical part of the frame as being structural sound. If i was going to design a cut out like this I would put a "U" shape gusset around that area. Thats been my plan if i ever knotched the frame for a larger engine.

The geared flywheel/starters use the same flywheel shroud/bearing plate as a starter generator do with two exceptions-there has to be an place for the starter gear to go and the stator must be able to mount to the bearing plate.

Bill,
You need to look a little closer at Jim T's pictures. There are gussets on the frame. There is no need to have an U shape type gusset where the wings are. The gussets that IH used are good enough to handle any power that is in the Cub Cadet. That is the same modification the pulling guys do to their Cubs. There is no need to over kill-over engineer the Cub Cadet frame.

A 16 horsepower Kohler will fit in your Cub Cadet if it is the narrow base block and if you modify the frame. I've heard of some that used a flywheel-bearing plate and flywheel shroud off a 12 horse power Kohler. There could be some cooling problems with this modification. A wide base block can be modified to be a narrow base block....The block will need modified to work.

Return to “Cub Cadet”