This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hit Stump w/ front left wheel - How do I adjust Steering?

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
WestDeerPirate
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15044
Tractors Owned: 1970 International Cub Low Boy 154

Hit Stump w/ front left wheel - How do I adjust Steering?

Postby WestDeerPirate » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:58 pm

I have the I& T Service Manual but it does not cover adjusting the steering alignment. It does cover how to remove and reinstall the steering column. Nothing about what I am asking.

I hit a stump that was hidden in the high grass at the back of my property and now the steering wheel turns fine if I crank the wheel to the let but it does not turn more than half way if I try to steer the tractor to the left. I am hoping that the drag link rod can compensate this issue.

How do you adjust the steering, or do I have a much larger problem?

Please do not send me links to the parts manuals, I need a mechanical soluton described to me in detail. THank you.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

WestDeerPirate
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Hit Stump w/ front left wheel - How do I adjust Steering

Postby WestDeerPirate » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:39 pm

Not good. I searcged Google and read through all 12 pages of this forum with no results to my question. Can anyone help? :(

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:50 pm

Wish I could help. The only thing I can offer is the I&T Service Manual as I do not have a Numbered Series Cub Service Manual available yet. Sorry. But there are some real pros with the numbered series on the forum, I do think you will get an answer ..... it may just take a bit before they see this post..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:30 pm

Hit the stump with the other wheel. Maybe it will straighten it out. Just had to say that. I do not know how to fix your problem. Everyone needs some humor during a bad situation. Have a great day.

WestDeerPirate
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WestDeerPirate » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:21 am

And here I thought I was waking up to a solution...........

I checked under the tractor and nothing appears bent. The steering mechanim from Section J of the manual was my reference. Looks like the steering knuckles, tie rod, tie rod ends, tie rod ball joint, and the steering Lever support assembly are all fine, viewed from beneath and from the front.

I am interested to know more about the steering arm and the drag link. Does anyone know what these do and if these may affected?

Lastly, I am thinking about jacking up the front of the tractor, removing the 5/8-18 hex nut from the steering shaft, turning the left wheel as far as it will go, centering the steering wheel and tightening it back down once the wheels are straight.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Seems to have worked for a Craftsman Lawn Tractor guy on Google.

WestDeerPirate
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WestDeerPirate » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:34 am

Someone on another forum mentioned that I may have "jumped some teeth" on the steering gear. Any solutions to this?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:02 am

If I am not mistaken, most Craftsmen Lawn Tractors use a sector gear similar to this:

175146 Sears Steering Sector Gear Assembly, replaces 532175146

The 154 uses a different type of steering system..

Cub-154 Steering Mechanism

I don't see where it could have jumped a gear. With the craftsman I can see the thought process -- when the sector gear is shocked it can jump a tooth... -- no don't ask :roll: :arrow: :oops: :(
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

WestDeerPirate
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WestDeerPirate » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:15 am

Do you think that loosening the steering wheel and hand turning the left wheel all the way over will have any effect?

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:35 am

I do not have a # lowboy.

However, looking at the page Rudi posted, it appears to me the best way to adjust the alignment is with part #6.

If it was a very hard jolt, Part 10 looks like the week link. do not know if it is splined or not, but it is connecter to part #6 the link bar.

With a pipe wrench I would try turning it a little to see if this helps your situation. If so, adjust it to where you need it.

If it "jumped a tooth" like in your craftsman example, there are only 2 places it could be. In part #10 or gearbox assembly #3. Either way, I think adjusting #6 would be my first choice.

I AM ONLY GOING BY THE DRAWINGS, I HAVE NEVER BEEN UNDER ONE, BUT THAT IS MY BEST GUESS. I TRIED. :big afro: :big afro:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:37 am

Your description is pretty unclear, and I have never worked on a 154 so this is all a guess. I doubt taking the steering wheel off will gain you anything. If the drag link is bent, that could be the problem. If it isn't I doubt there is enough adjustment on it to fix the problem. I suspect the steering arm (ref # 10) has turned on the output shaft of the gear box. I don't know how this is held in position, key, spline, flat on shaft or ?. You may need to set the wheels straight ahead, remove the arm, center the steering gear and reinstall it. If there is a key, it may have sheared. If the parts are splined, you may need to give Hamiltonbob a call.

WestDeerPirate
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WestDeerPirate » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:01 am

Well, here is the best that I can describe what happened. I was in the process of turning left, with the wheel turned as far as it naturally turns. I hit a stump with that tire causing the rear of the tractor to swing o the right slightly. I put the tractor in reverse and back up. When I went to turn the wheel to the left to pass by the stump I noticed that the lefthand fron wheel would now only turn about half way. The righhand front wheel however turns all the way.

When I looked under the tractor I did not see anything that had bent. When I try to force the steering wheel to the left, there is a lto more play in the wheel than would be normally. Yetm the lefthand wheel still only turns about half way.

Part#10 may be able to adjust the problem, but I do not know anything about this part. Like you said, how it is attached, how it is removed, how it is adjusted, what function this part servers, etc.

My thought was that i could remove or lossen the steering wheel by taking off the hex nut below the steering wheel cap. I was then going to jack up the fron of the tractor and hand turn the lefthand front wheel to see if i could force it to turn all the way. If I can get ti to turn all the way I was going to realign the steering wheel to be centered left - to - right and then retighten the 5/58-18 nut on the steering column. Like I said, I do not know if this is even possible I was just throwing it out as a possible fix.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:29 am

I thought from your earlier post that the two front wheels were pointing the same direction. Since they are not, I take back all my earlier comments except that removing the steering wheel won't do you any good. That is still a given.

If the wheels are not turning together, you have trouble related to items 5 or 8 in the above diagram or items 3, 5 or 7 in the diagram below.

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:31 am

I don't have a clue on the # series either but by reading the posts, including your last one, I agree with a few others, don't know what removing the steering wheel will gain. If nothing is bent it sure seems like the arm (part #10) rotated on the shaft. Re-read Jim's reply, I think he is dead on (not that there is any surprise there 8)

(oh, I see Jim responded again before I got this posted..)

Good luck,
David

WestDeerPirate
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WestDeerPirate » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:42 am

Sorry....the wheels both turn with each other. However, turning right allows full movement, turning left only allows half movement.

Anyone know more about part#10, how to adjust, how to remove, etc.?

WestDeerPirate
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WestDeerPirate » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:55 am

If I am understanding part number #10, which is toothed, there should be a nut or something holding in place along with a washer. I have no idea just guessing. Once I have this arm disconnected I should be able to turn the wheel may be a 1/4 turn and then reattach the steering arm.

Is that pretty close to what everyone else was thinking?

I also have a call into Bob Naylor.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”