This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How To Adjust Clutch Fingers

Time saving tips to keep your Cub running smooth
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

How To Adjust Clutch Fingers

Postby Rudi » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:39 pm

Guys:

Just did a search on the topic of adjusting the clutch for a post over on the ATIS forum. That reminded me of this particular forum and thought that this would be useful to post here.

Hope it helps :?:

Here is the original post...

K, here is what we did.

First go to page 32 in the TC-37A Parts Catalog.
Page-32.jpg

In the diagram you will see parts numbered 2, 3 and 4.

Part # 4 is the fingers or the Release Lever. Part #3 is the lock nut and Part #2 is the adjusting screw.

(Oh two people are best, that way you don't have to crawl out from under the tractor too often :!: :roll: )

Rotate the engine over until you see the adjusting screw and nut and have access with a 1/2" wrench. Turn counter clockwise to loosen. Once the nut is loosend, turn with a standard bit in a ratchet 1/2 turn clockwise. Then retighten the lock nut.

Rotate the engine and repeat above until all three are done.

You should notice that the grinding is gone or there is substantial improvement. If it has not gone completely away, repeat with a 1/4 turn clockwise on the adjusting screw.

This is what we did. Now, depending on your problem you may have to turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise, but you will see that almost immediately.

Now, guys correct me if I am wrong, but, by using Jethro's exposed clutch assembly, we figured this out and we also checked the measurement. The stated figure used for adjusting the clutch appears to be pretty darn good, because when we adjusted Jethro's fingers and measured the distance from the face to the finger tip, it was exactly 1-1/8" before adjustment and 1-1/4" after adjustment. We used this on Ellie and it worked perfectly.

Your tranny should shift smoothly and quietly after this adjustment.

Wow :!: The things you can learn just from reading posts on this forum. As in my case, I did not understand, nor could I visualize what all this meant until the last couple of days. Eventually though, the information I have absorbed did prove useful and I now rather rudimentarily understand the workings of the clutch.

Oh, if in doubt about the usefulness of information - see signature line :wink: :lol:
Last edited by Barnyard on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Added Missing Images
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:56 pm

Thanks Rudi.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:13 pm

Rudi:

Request clarification. We have an exposed clutch assembly. Disk is installed and the pressure plate bolted to the flywheel.

Where exactly is the 1 1/4 inch height for the fingers measured from? Is height measured from the rear face of the clutch disc?

Eugene

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Clutch Finger Measurements

Postby Winfield Dave » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:50 pm

This is where you measure from.

finger adjust measurement.jpg
finger adjust measurement.jpg (30.98 KiB) Viewed 23509 times
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Re: A little TLC for my cub

Postby Bigdog » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:22 pm

Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: How To Adjust Clutch Fingers

Postby Rudi » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:22 pm

I knew that there was a pictoral answer to the question Eugene posed and that same question has been asked dozens of times. I finally found the thread in which Dave had posted a pic of where to measure when adjusting the fingers, so I copied it and merged it to this thread so that folks would not have to go looking.

After reviewing the latest thread with the question on where to measure, BD posted a great pic that is pretty useful. So with both pics in this thread now, there should be no more questions. A picture is much better than a detail explanation, so thanks to both Dave and BD for the pics :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Engine, Clutch, Transmission and Hydraulics”