This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Hood Straightening Method(s)...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Like-em-all
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30134
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Super A
1952 Ford 8N
1958 John Deere 320S
1958 John Deere 420S
2008 John Deere 3005

Cub Hood Straightening Method(s)...

Postby Like-em-all » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:03 pm

All the Cub hood/tanks that I have are "bowed"out along the lower edge of the hood :( . Using a straight edge, they appear to be bowed out about 3/8" to 1/2". I can block the front and rear ends on the inside and push the bowed sides inward to get a straight edge, but when pressure is relaxed, of course the bow comes right back :roll: . Seeing all these nice restored Cubs with hood edges as straight as new leads me to believe that someone (every one but me? :oops: ) knows tricks/methods of how to bend the hood enough to stay straight, yet not so much as to form a crease in the middle :shock: . Any and all comments are welcome.

Bill
"One Cub leads to another..." -- old International Harvester proverb.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Hood Straightening Method(s)...

Postby ToddW » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:51 pm

My loboy hood has a 3/8" dip down across the front as well.

I too have been wanting to know how to get that bow out of the hood

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:01 pm

Even if it takes days of looking and thinking before hitting with hammer, good body work requires doing the reverse of the action that caused the undesired bends in the metal. The part that bent last is the part to straighten first. An example is the rear quarter panel on a car. It gets caved in by being hit. The last part that bent is the outer edges of the caved portion. So hammer and dolly are used rather gently around those outer edges first. As the metal flattens or returns to original shape, the dolly is moved in to the next bent area. One is amazed how well this technique works , how easily and quickly. Banging out the deepest portion of the dent first just makes one big mess- but that is what our intuition tells us to do.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:15 pm

could you post a picture, not sure of what you want.

Like-em-all
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 Farmall Super A
1952 Ford 8N
1958 John Deere 320S
1958 John Deere 420S
2008 John Deere 3005

Postby Like-em-all » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:50 pm

Bus Driver wrote:Even if it takes days of looking and thinking before hitting with hammer, good body work requires doing the reverse of the action that caused the undesired bends in the metal. The part that bent last is the part to straighten first. An example is the rear quarter panel on a car. It gets caved in by being hit. The last part that bent is the outer edges of the caved portion. So hammer and dolly are used rather gently around those outer edges first. As the metal flattens or returns to original shape, the dolly is moved in to the next bent area. One is amazed how well this technique works , how easily and quickly. Banging out the deepest portion of the dent first just makes one big mess- but that is what our intuition tells us to do.

Bus Driver, thanks for the info. The hood sides are hard to bump with a dolly due to those three stiffening ridges, but it does work at the extreme ends pretty well.

I have spent most of a day learning how to include photo images on a post reply :roll: (thanks to panel beater). I have added them to try and show the problem and a remedy that I came up with. After relaxing the traction, it removed about 90% of the bow on each side. I may try again to pull them in a little more. Now I have to rest from adding these first ever images:

They sure are wimpy little pictures :? ! It seems they dropped from 200 kbytes to 2 or 3 kbytes somewhere along the way.

Bill
Last edited by Like-em-all on Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:58 pm

Bill,

Try this on for size

In the image string, just remove "thumb_" and you will get the same as I have posted. Good luck. I left a few for you to practice on. :)

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Like-em-all
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 Farmall Super A
1952 Ford 8N
1958 John Deere 320S
1958 John Deere 420S
2008 John Deere 3005

Postby Like-em-all » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks Bill. My being "all thumbs" has taken on a new meaning :) .

Bill

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:07 pm

After you get it where you want it a little heat in the right place will help I believe, Pannelbeater will chime back in soon and give you the lo down.
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:35 pm

I have found that the bulge in the side comes from the hood being hit in the front, it may not have been hit hard enough to dent the front but just push it far enough for the side to bulge,i just use the porta power or a bottle jack with a 2x4 in the front and another by the gas tank it stretches the tank back and straightens the sides
Tim

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:14 pm

i would try pulling the front first to see if it pull the sides in like tst said. then if the sides have loose metal i would do some heat shrinking to tighten up the metal. heat dime sized spots then hammer and dolly the spots then quench with water.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:44 pm

That all sounds like it would make a nice work shop project at a cub fest. 8)

Return to “Farmall Cub”