This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Going Hi-Tech With My Bow Hunting This Year.

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Going Hi-Tech With My Bow Hunting This Year.

Postby ricky racer » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:02 pm

I have been hunting with a longbow (after about 20 years with a compound) for the last 15 years or so but times are a change'n. Last year I seemed to really be struggling while shooting, my accuracy was off and it just wasn't fun shooting. I actually dreaded the possibility of having to draw on a deer and resigned myself to only taking slam dunk shots.
Fast forward to this spring. My daughter and I attended the Compton shoot Fathers Day weekend as we always do. The Compton shoot is an excellent Traditional Shoot in Berrien Springs, Michigan. I hadn't even drawn my bow prior to that weekend. We had just started shooting a course when I those issues reappeared again, struggling while shooting and difficulty getting a solid anchor. Before we finished that course the problem was obvious, I was over bowed. The custom made longbow that I have been shooting for years had become to heavy for me to shoot accurately. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm getting older (I'll be 55 this September) and have gone from working out in the shop to an office job and I'm just getting old and soft. :roll: My longbow draws #58. To some compound shooters, 58# doesn't sound like much but at full draw, I am holding 58 lbs. compared to a compound shooter say, shooting a modern 70# compound with 75% let-off, is only holding 18#. It was clear, I needed to go to a lower weight bow.
As I wondered around the vendor area I just casually looked at some bows. New custom longbows run around $700 for a nice, not fancy bow. and take around 6 weeks to 6 months to get one depending on the bowyers back-log.
While walking past a vendor that had several used bows on a rack, I was drawn to a beautiful recurve. Picking it up, it just fit like a glove. I looked at the bowyers name and price and put it back down but I would come back and look at it several more times. I asked the vendor if I could shoot the bow. He strung it up and I took it out on the course and shot it. The bow, a Robertson Stykbow, draws 51# and shoots like a dream. I took it back and let him put it back on the rack.
Sunday I went back and shot it again and out came the plastic. Shooting is fun again my accuracy came back and I am not struggling while shooting anymore. I know I am going to kill a deer this year with this new ( new to me) bow. She's a sweetheart!! :{_}:
Maybe this Hi-Tech equipment is just what I needed. :D

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Re: Going Hi-Tech With My Bow Hunting This Year.

Postby Yogie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:31 am

WOW Rick, that is sweet.
By the looks of the grip and riser it's never been used.
I wish I had a little extra time to pick up the recurve bow, maybe someday. I always enjoyed watching them being shot, quite and accurate.
Good luck this season, I'll be looking for pictures. :wink:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:00 pm

When we moved into the new place there is eye bolts with pulleys hanging in the garage for hanging deer. Then we found an older Bear long bow in the garage too. I have no clue how to use a bow but i'm sure i'll learn. My buddy tells me i need a $600 compound bow with all the bells and whistles to hunt deer. Going old school just maybe the hot ticket?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:27 am

BigBill wrote:When we moved into the new place there is eye bolts with pulleys hanging in the garage for hanging deer. Then we found an older Bear long bow in the garage too. I have no clue how to use a bow but i'm sure i'll learn. My buddy tells me i need a $600 compound bow with all the bells and whistles to hunt deer. Going old school just maybe the hot ticket?

There is nothing wrong with going "old school". Using the "old" equipment just adds to the challenge and the degree of satisfaction. The profusion of High Tech gear is an attempt to make things easier thus more success in taking game. We all know that having things easier is nice but the easier that a task is the less satisfaction is gleaned from its accomplishment. We all know that getting a Cub that only needs the fluids changed is nice but the ones that get torn down completely and rebuilt to like new condition brings greater satisfaction once the hard work is done.
In 1973, I didn't even know there was a bow season for deer here in Michigan. I started bow hunting in 1974 and didn't even know anyone who bow hunted. I had to learn everything myself from trial and error. Over the years as bow hunting technology increased, I went with the times but after about 15 years I just wasn't getting that much satisfaction from my hunting. I could easily get myself in a position to have a deer walk within 30 yards then all I had to do was cock my bow, line up the front and rear sights and pull the trigger. It didn't seem any different then hunting with a gun, I just had a shorter range. I tried to become a trophy hunter thinking that would give me the satisfaction I was looking for but found out that it was just more work and I have enough work to do without adding to it.
I just happened to be in the grocery store on day while my wife was shopping and picked up an issue of Traditional Bow Hunter Magazine and thumbed through it and the light came on. I knew what I was missing. I knocked the cobwebs off an old Bear recurve I had at home and started shooting. That has been many years ago and I still love hunting with a stick bow. It offers the kind of challenge I needed but wasn't getting with High Tech equipment.
Go out and start shooting that old bow, possibly attend a traditional shoot if one is in the area and get some help to establish good shooting habits and the accuracy will come. When you tag your first deer with that bow your sense of satisfaction will go through the roof. Have fun. :{_}:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”