This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Do Pineapples Grow From Seed?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Wise Owl
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Do Pineapples Grow From Seed?

Postby Wise Owl » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:05 am

Does anybody know if pineapples grow from seeds? I found some seeds or at least noticed that it had seeds in my last pineapple and decided that they might grow so I planted them yesterday? Am I wasting my time?

I do have a pineapple plant already that has produced a nice little pineapple but this plant was bought from the store.

I have already started coffee plants from coffee beans - papaya from papaya seeds - pomegranate from seed, etc. These are sitting in my kitchen.

Emilie

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:17 am

Em, they grow from the top or crown of the pineapple fruit. You can cut the top off of a pineapple, let it dry for a couple of days and then plant it. Check the link for a little more info.
http://www.floridagardener.com/misc/hgpa.htm
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:08 am

Unless it's a wild pineapple, chances are very low that the seeds are viable. But try planting them and see!

Pineapples must be cross-pollinated in order to produce seeds, the parent plants need to have different genes. Commerical pineapples are cultivated by taking cuttings from stock plants that are genetically identical. These plants can not cross-pollinate because they all have the same genes and commercially grown on huge farms, in effect eliminating the seeds.

Many popular fruits are bred or cultivated to be "seedless", therefore channeling the plant's energy into increased fruit size and quantity at the expense of seed production. Some fruits, like the pineapple, did not become popular until seedless varieties were produced.

Wise Owl
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Wise Owl » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:45 pm

Thanks guys. :!: :D Will let you know if they grow.

Emilie

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:18 pm

Em,

Did they?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

flag
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby flag » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:18 am

I did what Bigdog posted a couple years ago and they did just fine until this year when the freeze got them.
Just a note about the chances of getting fruit is that pineapples require certain temperatures in seasons to produce the fruit, at least that is what a pineapple grower said on a show.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”