This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Deer food plots in

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Deer food plots in

Postby cowboy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:59 am

Well I tried my hand at making deer food plots. It sure was fun I hope they turn out well. I planted one my our trailer a little one where my dad hunts and a big one for my cousin.

This is the field by the trailer that I had the big bonfire in this spring. I finished up clearing out the brush spent two day picking rocks and roots out of it. The disk and planted it. And I have enough brush for another big bonfire!!!

Up in the woods where Dad hunts I was only going to plow and plant half of it. But it is pretty small so I plowed up most of it.

The largest by far was my Cousin Dave's field. It rained up there monday so it should be growing now :!:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Deer food plots in

Postby ricky racer » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:04 pm

After careful observation, it appears that there might just be room for 1 more bow hunter :wink: up there, buddy!! :||):
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:08 pm

Billy,

I am not sure but it looks like you are creating a little seat time, looks like a lot of work.. I mean fun! :D

Nice job, thanks for sharing,
David

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:09 pm

Looks great Bill.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi Ricky

The wolves put a big hit on our deer population this winter. Killing one doe withing 200 yards of the trailer. And another behind the pole barn. With a third killed about 1500 feet away from the trailer and thats just the ones I found remains (fur they eat everything else) of. So far I have only seen one four point and for the next two years we are limiting ourselves to bucks 6 pt and up.

Thanks David

I wish I had my plows but I have them at home to replace the points and shares. So I borrowed my uncles plows and they made a mess. But I did what I could with them.

Thanks Bill

Gotta keep last years bambi's fed.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:34 pm

No wonder the last time I drove through the Seney Wildlife Refuse I saw signs all over the place urging locals to shoot every wolf that see. I know that could get a guy in a lot of trouble, but between the wolves and winter kill I know the deer are paying a high price. I sometimes think the NRC wants to eliminate the deer in the state and convert us to turkey hunters.
How is the bear hunting at your place? Does your family hunt bear there?
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:27 am

Some of them have radio collars. And with a $5000 fine I am not going to unless my life is in danger. I hate that now I feel compelled to carry a gun at all times. I always used to just go for a walk in the wood not much care except for getting lost.

There are some bear around. I saw a huge black bear on my uncles about a mile away. And every spring I used to see tracks going by the trailer. I don't know if my being around so much this year made them stay farther out or not.

Billy

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Nice work... I'd like to plant a little plot but i'm not sure what to plant. I have a small 5 gallon corn feeder going all winter but down the back,which i need to increase to a drum instead of a bucket and in the field i'd like to intergrate something to attract deer in the grass. I can let the field grow higher too. I'm feeding about 250lbs of corn per winter and i figure to go up to 500lbs. I'm also using the TSC deer apple blocks too the big ones not the little ones. The little ones disappear at the sametime i put them out there gone the next morning. I planted apple, pear and peach trees too.

Besides the deer we now have blackbears which have been seen at 4pm in the afternoon.

I only have two acres thats bordered by water shed property plus i have horse farms around me too. Were getting the critters all the time going thru the bottoms into the water shed area. They come right thru my land.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:15 pm

Thanks BigBill

I got a deer feed plot mix from the feed mill. Then I put in winter wheat, oats, rye and peas. My cousin said he can not figure out what they want so he puts everything in and lest them pick what they want.

I was surprised two of my fields were up 3" a week later. I didn't put in any fertilizer when I planted but put 100lbs in each of the two my fields of 19-19-19 last weekend.

Here they are after two weeks.

After having the place four years I just saw my first buck there. Monday nite there was a little spike horn out eating across from the trailer. Sure made me feel good seeing him enjoy all the work I did :D

Billy

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”