This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Member Garden's for 2010 Season(pics. & vids.)

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Member Garden's for 2010 Season(pics. & vids.)

Postby SONNY » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:59 pm

Here are some pics. of the plums that we been canning!
a couple big bowls of fresh picked plums

Some in my hand to show the size of the plums

These are a real rich plum flavor,--dont know what kind of tree it is since it was already here! thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Michael Beck
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35466
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Michael Beck » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:09 pm

Sonny did those purple pod peas come from Baker Creek? If not where did you get them from? Have some type of white pea i need to plant next year to save for seed. One of my childhood neighbors gave them to me. He was 85 when he past away. Said they had been saving the seed since he was was a child. Once I get some seed I would like to share some with people in a northern climate to see how they do. Make much bigger vines than a purple hull, take a little longer to mature, and will produce until frost. Wish I knew exactly what they were. He named them after his mother because he said that was what she always planted. Thanks

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:12 pm

Bakers Creek has the pole type (I have grown them before too)purple pod beans,---ours are the bush type and came from Bountiful Gardens, and are sold under the name of Royalty Purple Pod beans.---I have seen them in other seed catalogs as well.---they have been around for a long time.(when cooked they turn green and cant tell them from regular green beans.)---I just planted them this year as part of our 16 different bean test!

We have a large red bean that a family has grown/saved seed from since the 1840's and dont have a clue what the name is,--so we call them FRED BEANS!(Iron arts real name) he sent them to Virginia a couple years ago---really good bean too!
We like to try the really old kinds and the no-namers since they are much better than todays varieties! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:35 pm

Melons are getting ripe!

Got a couple dozen from the patch so far! ---They taste pretty good! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:39 pm

Found me some zinc phosphide!!!! ---also found some dead VOLES after putting some out, so maybe I can get them thinned down before winter sets in! ---This stuff might actually work!---they claim its the only thing that they are attracted to in line of killer chems. ----Its hard to find but reasonable priced for the good it seems to be doing!---I noticed an immed. reduction in damage after I started putting the chem. into their holes, but gotta stay on the lookout for new comers now that the farmers are harvesting the fields and chasing the rodents over here into my gardens! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”