Gord and I have been playing with his Super A again. We got the carb rebuild kit from California the other day and yesterday we rebuilt the carb. Interesting project. The kit is different... Carter UT's are not IH Updrafts.. and the kit definitely reflects that. I was a bit confused by it all... but after going through the whole thing it went together real well. I am impressed.. getting better doing these things. This was kinda enjoyable to do.Don
: I really and I mean I really like that Berryman's Carb Cleaner. It is probably one of the best I have ever used, low odour, I like how it feels compared to others.. not as offensive to the skin as most others. The best part is how well it cleans a carb. Put the carb in the basket, insert basket into can, close cover and forget it for a couple days. Presto pop - clean carb
I like it a lot. Sure hope I can convince Marshlands up here to stock this stuff it is simply amazing.
Anyways we got the carb back on and the SA up and running so well we decided that yup we need to get the McCormick No 21-U Trailing Sickle Mower pulled out of the back field and ready to mow some hay. So we did most of that prep work yesterday. Today as we got the swath board mounted, greased up the mower and were ready to go cut some hay. We ran into a problem....
Problem is the PTO lever will not engage. We have tried everything short of taking the belt pulley attachment off, I guess that is the next step, but would prefer if we didn't have to do that. But there may be no getting around that. Then the second problem happened. The SA has two fill plugs one on the tranny and one on the Belt Pulley Attachment. Both are square key cast iron plugs. The square key is 5/8" .. kinda odd size since most cheater bars come in 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" .. with 5/8" being a bit odd. So to solve that problem Gord and I went into town and got some 5/8" key stock. I ground down each face until it fit the socket. I also got a 21mm impact socket to fit the 5/8" key stock. We tried to take the plug out of the BPA and guess what happened
Shattered the plug.. two chunks of cast iron broke off of the plug rendering it impossible to remove the plug with the new key stock tool.
What is the best way to remove that plug now
Drill in succeeding steps until we can pick the threads out
If we do that, my fear is that we will end up with metal chips inside the BPA and that will necessitate a complete tear down of that attachment to get rid of the metal shards. Is there an alternate method
Then, where do I get a replacement plug