This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My 1200 cub cadet "plastic gas tank"

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

My 1200 cub cadet "plastic gas tank"

Postby BigBill » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:33 pm

I noticed today my plastic gas tank on my restoration had a bad repair done to it. Its peeling off. I'd like to remove the shabby repair and do a good one but i'm not sure what epoxy or plastic repair to use???? I just want a temp repair till i can find a replacement tank. Any thoughts????? We put some fire in the hole today and she sounds great now i'm itchin to run it.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My 1200 cub cadet "plastic gas tank"

Postby gitractorman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:16 pm

I have repaired plastic tanks like that with a soldering iron or hot air heat gun and a puddy knife. Make sure the tank is empty and use an air compressor to air the tank out really good before starting. Just use the soldering iron or heat gun to soften up the material and smear it around with the puddy knife. Believe it or not, this will work pretty good. If there is a really big hole, and you can find a piece of black High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) like they use for pond liners, you can also use it like a patch. I have patched holes up to 1/2 inch in diameter by cutting a piece about 1 inch in diameter, then using the heat gun, heat the plastic until it gets really shiny, then use the puddy knife to push the patch material into the tank. It takes some patients, but it turns out pretty good.

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:36 pm

Thank you!!!!!!! gitractorman!!!! I removed the shabby epoxy patch that was covering the crack and tried my new soldering gun on the vertical crack. I made three passes over it in three different directions. My first pass i let it close up and melt the plastic back together. Once it cooled off I tested it with gas and sure enough no leak. I then sanded the area by hand and mixed some epoxy and went over it to strengthen it up. Its neat the band that holds the gas tank inplace.

BTW; I ordered a new gas valve and they sent me a plastic bag filled with a push in red handled gas valve, a piece of gas hose with two clamps. Luckily i ordered a new gas valve tank bushing too. It all went together ok but the red handle is hard to reach in and turn. I may have to remove the side panel on the 1200 to just turn the gas on.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:28 pm

I did the soldering iron trick and its fine now i just wish i had a better way of doing the gas valve. There's no replacement but the orginal design i would have trump fire the engineer who designed the 1000/1200 cub this way its terrible to turn on and off without removing the side cover.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:02 am

Big Bill. Check your PM. I sent you some information. I have a fix for that problem. It works very well, and looks professional.
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Return to “Cub Cadet”