This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 Progress!

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BucketHead
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01050
Tractors Owned: 1963 MF 202
1953 Super C
1949 Cub
1970 LoBoy 154
1949 M

154 Progress!

Postby BucketHead » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:10 pm

Howdy guys.

I haven't been very active on this forum due to various "life events." Recently I have actually had time to work on the various tractor projects that have been on hold. Last week I ordered a new wiring harness for my 154 and began installing it today. Of course no project goes a easily as you'd like it and this one was no exception. First off every nut, bolt, and screw that I touched today needed a liberal application of PB Blaster. Even then, I managed to snap off a screw on the voltage regulator of all places. Now I am fighting the steering wheel which needs to come off so I can access the solenoid and other connections under the dash. I'm hoping a 12 hour soak with PB Blaster will do the trick. As part of my electrical system overhaul, I'm also replacing the battery cables and the ignition switch. Hopefully, the S/G and regulator will be okay.

Once I finally get this tractor running, I'll tackle the clutch and nuked throwout bearing. Finally, I'll rebuild the mower deck and repaint everything..if I have any energy and money left...... :wink:
Karl

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

glennsjr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12764

Re: 154 Progress!

Postby glennsjr » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:35 am

Sounds like your working on mine, Will you hurry up i'd like to mow my lawn at least once this year with it!!! :lol:

BucketHead
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 Super C
1949 Cub
1970 LoBoy 154
1949 M

Postby BucketHead » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:38 am

Well...if you want to mow this summer then you're gonna need to buy a whole bunch more parts...quick! :D

The 12 hour soak with PB Blaster got me nowhere with that steering wheel. Looks like I'll have to resort to careful application of heat but, I'm not holding out much hope for success. Based on what I have read elsewhere on this forum, I'll probably have to add a new steering wheel to my long list of needed parts.
Karl

HAMILTONBOB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby HAMILTONBOB » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:13 pm

Karl,
I have had the best success pulling steering wheels using a large bearing seperator/puller. They have a large flat surface area that limits the chiping to the underside of the center hub.
Good luck
Hamiltonbob

Phazer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46975

Postby Phazer » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:19 pm

I just did the solenoid replacement on my 185 yesterday, pull the fuel tank off, I couldn't beleive how easy it was. You still have to reach up through the side panel opening but it was SOOOOOO much easier.

BucketHead
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 Super C
1949 Cub
1970 LoBoy 154
1949 M

Postby BucketHead » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Phazer,

You must have read my mind! I was just going to ask that very question here tonight. Thanks for the info.
Karl

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Landreo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:10 pm

To take off the steering wheel, get a nut and bolt the same size as the current steering wheel nut. I don't remember the thread or size but you want an standard nut not the thinner nut that is currently on the steering wheel. Screw the nut 1/2 way on the shaft, put the bolt into the other half of the nut. Tighten the bolt tightly with a wrench. THe bolt should now be tight againt the top of the steering wheel shaft and held in place by the nut. Place a few bricks on the foot rest, sit on the seat, place one foot on the bricks and you knee should fit under an edge of the steering wheel. Push up with your foot and place alot of upward pressure on your knee and the edge of the wheel. Use your hand to pull up on the other side of the wheel. Use the other hand and hammer to pound on the top of the bolt and the wheel will pop off with a few hard taps of the hammer. Make sure you use a normal thickness nut and the bolt is very tight otherwise the threads will strip when you tap on the bolt with the hammer. It may pop off very suddenly, don't fall off the back of the tractor when it lets loose.

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Landreo wrote:To take off the steering wheel, get a nut and bolt the same size as the current steering wheel nut. I don't remember the thread or size but you want an standard nut not the thinner nut that is currently on the steering wheel. Screw the nut 1/2 way on the shaft, put the bolt into the other half of the nut. Tighten the bolt tightly with a wrench. THe bolt should now be tight againt the top of the steering wheel shaft and held in place by the nut. Place a few bricks on the foot rest, sit on the seat, place one foot on the bricks and you knee should fit under an edge of the steering wheel. Push up with your foot and place alot of upward pressure on your knee and the edge of the wheel. Use your hand to pull up on the other side of the wheel. Use the other hand and hammer to pound on the top of the bolt and the wheel will pop off with a few hard taps of the hammer. Make sure you use a normal thickness nut and the bolt is very tight otherwise the threads will strip when you tap on the bolt with the hammer. It may pop off very suddenly, don't fall off the back of the tractor when it lets loose.

I gotta see photos [or a video] of this procedure. :lol: Maybe a good howto ???
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Phazer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46975

Postby Phazer » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:21 pm

What do you do when someone has already "mushroomed" the threads? Gggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr . . .

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:10 pm

Get a 5/8 fine thread nut and bolt. It is thicker than the original nut:

Put 2 bricks on the foot rests:

Put the nut on the shaft until it is 1/2 way. Put the bolt into the remaining threads. Tighten the bolt so it is tight against the top of the steering shaft. The nut will keep the bolt centered on the shaft end. If the bolt is tight it will protect the shaft end from damage. If the bolt is not tight then you will damage the shaft threads.

Put your knees under the wheel and push upward, use your hand to do the same to the other end of the steering wheel.

Tap with a hammer on the head of the bolt and the wheel will come loose. One hand would be on the wheel but in the photo was holding the camera.

The shaft is hollow, if the threads are beyond repair then put a bolt into the center of the shaft and hammer on that until the wheel comes off. Afterwards you can thread the center hole and place a bolt and washer such as done on this cub cadet.

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:26 pm

GREAT description AND photos !! :D
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”