This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

NEED HELP PLEASE !!!!!!

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15057
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub
68? CubCadet 104
69 Allis Chalmers B110
Bolens G14

NEED HELP PLEASE !!!!!!

Postby 48 cub » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:55 pm

I was looking to buy a Cub Cadet 383 Hydrostatic antique lawn tractor off of craigslist and there is a problem with the transmition. There is a leak where the lever goes into the transmition and now it han no oil and wont mowe in gear when running. I need to know what to put in it so that it will move. is it ok to put hydrolic fluid in or is there something else that needs to be put in? If you could please help me, I dont know to much about it. Thanks Ray
48 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: NEED HELP PLEASE !!!!!!

Postby Paul B » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:12 pm

Unless you want to put another transaxle in it, I would not buy it. The transmission is really not a serviceable unit, and I doubt if there are any repair parts available for it, and if there are, you probably don't want to pay for them. If the tractor was driven low on fluid until it would no longer pull itself, more fluid is probably not going to fix it. The fluid in them was IH Hy-Tran.

48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15057
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub
68? CubCadet 104
69 Allis Chalmers B110
Bolens G14

Postby 48 cub » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:20 pm

he didn't run it till it did that, it sat in his garage and leaked out onto the floor. And could it maby be a seal that dried out, or did something maby come loose???
48 Farmall Cub

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:51 pm

It could be a seal or a gasket, but it's hard to know without seeing it. The 383 is a Cadet Lawn Tractor, not a Cub Cadet, which is a Garden Tractor. It has a belt driven hydro transaxle made by Peerless (or maybe Eaton) and is completely different than the shaft driven Sunstrand hydro in a Cub Cadet. The transaxle is basically a throw-a-way and not made to be serviced. If you want to buy the tractor, by all means do so, but you should be prepared to find a working transmission to put in it, because repair parts are going to be rather hard to find.

Return to “Cub Cadet”