This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

TAPPING STAINLESS ROD

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
48 BARNEY CUB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61745
Tractors Owned: 1-1948 Cub
1-1950 Demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

TAPPING STAINLESS ROD

Postby 48 BARNEY CUB » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:26 pm

OK
I know this is not really a cub qestion but maybe someone can help me out

what is the trick to tapping a 5/16 stainless rod with 24 fine thread i tapped reguler steel rod but i can't get the die to even start on the stainless
is there a special tap for stainless steel ? or is it next to impossable to do

48 Barney :big afro:
1-48 CUB

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: TAPPING STAINLESS ROD

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:21 pm

Barney:

I googled Tapping Stainless Steel Rods and got a couple good hits. This one on a reprap forum (whatever that is) seems to have a couple answers that might help you out - What type of threaded rod and nuts? (Quality, finish). I also googled How To Tap Stainless Steel Rod and didn't get any good hits that I can see... but there has to be something past page 3 or 4 :shock: :big give up:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:57 pm

Tapping is the term used to describe cutting female threads in a hole. Cutting male threads on a rod is called "threading". That term may help if used in a search engine.
In production, male threads are often rolled into the rod, not cut. Takes lots of pressure and power, very strong tools. But is fast.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:39 pm

BD:

I considered editing the previous due to not getting the right read..... but I am going to leave it cause someone is going to learn something from my pathetic lack of proper terminology.

You are right of course. Threading with a die is for the male and tapping is for the female threads.

So I redid the google search Threading Stainless Steel Rod and got tons more info. Always pays to search the correct string. :oops: :roll: :wink: :lol: Searching How To Thread Stainless Steel Rod rings in about the same stuff -- really difficult.

It seems that threading/tapping stainless is going to be difficult.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:21 pm

Not impossible but you will need taps and dies designed to work on stainless steel and harder material. Also not commonly available, meaning more expensive than I can afford. $250- and up for a small set. Quality sets in the $450- range.

If your only choice is to thread the stainless steel rod try one of you local industrial supply/machine shops. They may be able to help you out - but be prepared for the expense.

Do you know any maintenance people in some of the bigger local shops? They may be able to cut the threads for you.
I have an excuse. CRS.

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Postby awander » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:47 pm

Rudi:

-Use a high-quality(expensive) die.
-if the strength of the fastener is not critical, consider tap drilling 1 or 2 sizes(assuming you are using number drills) larger than recommended.
-Use a lubricant on the die-and keep replenishing it as it drips off. The best stuff I have used is from Brownell's, the gunsmithing supply house, and is called Do-Drill:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=4005/sku/16_oz__DO_DRILL_reg_
It used to be available in a small bottle with a dropper, but is now available in pints as teh smallest size. A bargain for the price, though.

Edited to add: Rudi, another tip, is that you want to get the die started onto the rod straight-this is easier if you can slightly taper the end of teh rod, or if you have a lathe or a drill press. If you had a lathe, you probably wouldn't be asking teh question-so how long is the rod you need to work on? Can you chuck it in a drill press, and hold teh die in a die wrench on teh drill press table, then bring the rod down to the die, using the drill press feed, while turning the die?

I would bet that any good sulfur-containing cutting oil will work really well for threading with a die.
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:40 am

It can be done, find the maximum outside daimeter of a standard 5/16-24 thread ,I checked one .308 in.
it will be under 5/16" to start . put a good lead on (Champfer) Sharp die , stainless is a gummy material per say , so it tends to fell sticky once you start cutting threads, instead of the 1/4 turn and back to clear you will have to clear the threads more often, stainless is not easy but can be done, fine pitch is also tougher to do ans you have to watch so you dont tear the threads off , cutting and clearing the die. use a light cutting fluid we use tap magic pro tap lots good grade, we use wd 40 as well for mld steel.
Pm me if you need some verbal help.
There is good info out there but I have done it before. so Been there done that.
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

holman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08204

Postby holman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:30 pm

There are starting,running, and bottom taps. Use a start with the proper drilled hole with oil and back it out and clean it alot and keep flushing the hole take your time!

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Postby awander » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:02 pm

holman wrote:There are starting,running, and bottom taps. Use a start with the proper drilled hole with oil and back it out and clean it alot and keep flushing the hole take your time!

In case you go to buy those taps, teh standard names for them are Taper, Plug, and Bottoming taps. You can buy them in sets of 3.

A taper plug has a taper covering 8-10 of the threads, a plug tap(the kind in most tap and die sets) is tapered for between 3 and 5 threads, and the bottoming tap only is tapered for 1 or 1-1/2 threads.

BUT, i believe the OP wants to thread a rod, using a die, NOT actually do anything with a tap......
Andy Wander

UBE, PA

'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."

'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"

"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”