This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Newbie in Maryland

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
wdietz186
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21771

Newbie in Maryland

Postby wdietz186 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:26 am

Greetings all,
My wife and I recently acquired a 1960 International Cub Lo-Boy in yellow by way of her brother in NY. The tractor is really my wifes but I am allowed to work on it and motor around the yard if I've been a good boy. As recieved it was sort of rusty but it starts and runs very well. It doesn't show much evidence of hard use ie. the edges on the pedals are still sharp,has what appear to be the original front tires[Firestones and bald] and it runs very quietly with no smoke.Presently it is equipped with a front blade and it has the quick hitch setup on the rear with a single blade plow.Not being a farmer[auto tech,black thumb] all this ag stuff is foreign to me but I really appreciate the simplicity and logic of tractors. The plan is to find a belly mower for it and if possible a loader and use it to maintain some property we have in central VA.I know the Cubs aren't really ideal for use with a loader but with the way my wife gets into things a full size machine might result in the creation of the Lesser Plains,formerly known as the Blue Ridge Mountains. This and Rudi's site have been a huge help already and it looks like a good place to hang around.

Bill

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Newbie in Maryland

Postby Peter Person » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:06 am

Bill,
Welcome to the FarmallCub.com forum. This is a great place to hang out and learn about your tractor and meet some awesome people.

If you are looking for some adventure and you can make it there is CubFest Northeast in Kinderhook, NY coming up in 2 1/2 weeks on Columbus Day weekend.
There will be quite a few folks traveling from all over the U.S. to attend. There will be plenty of opportunity to get your hands greasy and speak with some very knowledgeable folks.

Look in the Announcements section for all the information on this event.

Again - Welcome!

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader

Postby Bezirk » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:45 pm

Welcome, this is a great site and is filled with very helpful people and an extensive data base of ofCub info.
Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:07 pm

Another Free Stater. Welcome to the forum. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:04 pm

Bill:

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

I have spend the last 10 years or so playing with the JD 644 series loaders. Yup they are a loader to be sure. They can move a ton of material in a mighty quick way. However, they can't exactly go where the operator needs to go without damaging the landscape especially when you want to put a couple wheel barrow loads of mulch beside your brides prize begonias ... :big say what: ... so yup you can betcha that a Cub with a loader becomes a very valuable commodity.

After almost 10 years of owning Ellie, I now own a Henderson loader which will be on Ellie in the near future and I will be able to do exactly that .... bring mulch and other material much closer to where my bride wants it without destroying the lawns. So yeah... a Cub with a Loader is a beautiful thing :D :!: :{_}: There are a couple of loaders available and I think if you check your original post that the loader in that thread is available, and it appears to be a Henderson.

Oh, and thanks for the kinds words... they are appreciated :)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

johnny j
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20711
Tractors Owned: 1948 FARMALL CUB #34846

Postby johnny j » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:50 am

Bill ! :) Welcome to the forum

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Welcome Bill !! Your approach to Cub ownership has some interesting possibilities. You labeled Cub #1 as "hers" !! That now enables you to get another 1 or 2 with minimal static. If things do get sticky, it seems the common sense approach of one implement per Cub (it's too hard to mount and dismount them) could then be your fall back position. BTW, this time of year brings motivated sellers to places like CraigsList and Yesterday's Tractors so keep your eyes on the prize. Craig

wdietz186
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21771

Postby wdietz186 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:06 pm

Mag, That could be a plan.But there could be a space and maintanance conflict with the eleven motorcycles I've got.The tractor got in the way of the Laverda 1000 I had started restoring before the Cub arrived and for the sake of domestic tranquility her stuff takes precedence.Plus the ease and simplicity of working on the Cub was nice.I could see another Cub or two possible in the future unless they get too valuable to find cheaply.We [She] have finished painting it and I'll try and post some Pics when I figure out how to.I'm sort of a computer retard,but carbs,points and electrical problems don't scare me a bit.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:03 am

Bill:

wdietz186 wrote:I'll try and post some Pics when I figure out how to.I'm sort of a computer retard,but carbs,points and electrical problems don't scare me a bit.

No problem ... check out these topics, they will probably help. Makes it pretty easy. You can find these and more in the CBoK's - On The Forums chapter

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:46 pm

Welcome to the forum Bill.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Return to “Introduce Yourself”